Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Predator vs chicken :(. Update
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Predator vs chicken :(. Update Next Topic  

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2018 :  04:54:37 AM  Show Profile
Hi Farmgirls,

I remember when MaryJane wrote one day how one of her girls didn’t come in to roost and was killed by a predator.

Well, recently I lost my first chicken to a predator. I went to close up the chickies and one was dead, under the ramp, her head pulled through the fence and her neck broken.

It wasn’t quite dark yet. Nothing got in the coop/fence but pulled her through the other side, from what looks like underneath the fence. They did not eat her, because they could not get her through the fence.

She was my daughter’s chicken, our favorite named “Bender” after the cartoon character. She squeaked instead of clucked. Her comb bent to one side. She was the cutest. Worst of all, it was my birthday!

Last week, we saw a bobcat in the yard. I was thinking this was the work of a fisher cat. Maybe a raccoon. Looks like they pulled her leg her neck as she was trying to get in for the night. This morning there was a large red tail hawk sitting next to the fence, waiting for the chickens to be let out. Could a hawk do that? Pull a chicken through a chain link fence?

Ugh. Just ugh.

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155
Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
Chapter Leader, CT Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, Jan. 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blog
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger

Edited by - texdane on Apr 03 2018 1:22:48 PM

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2018 :  05:53:30 AM  Show Profile
I'm so sorry Nicole. My sister who has a flock of 40 chickens has lost them to stray cats, raccoons, skunks, and coyotes; hawks if one is caught when let out to scratch around. Judy, the mule will chase coyotes off if they are in her pasture which surrounds the house & hen houses on three sides.

What is a fisher cat?

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.
Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2018 :  6:47:13 PM  Show Profile
Oh gosh! 40! I can not imagine that! Yikes! I did not lose anyone today but we are going to have to reinforce the fence with smaller wire between the chain link. It broke my heart because her sister chickie was literally looking for her today. :(

A fisher cat is a type of weasel. They are nasty, and very deadly. Looks like a large weasel, same family. Unfortunately, they were brought into Connecticut some time ago to keep the turkey population down. DUH! They have no known predator. They can kill anything, including a human, though I don’t think it is something they seek out. I think it is rare. They kill for sport. They will kill and not eat the prey. They look a bit like a mink. Nasty things. They sound like a woman screaming. Creepy! I have seen three or four in 25 years, but its getting more frequent.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisher_(animal)

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155

Suburban Farmgirl Blog

Go to Top of Page

firecatinc
True Blue Farmgirl

1252 Posts

Lenora
Fulks Run VA
USA
1252 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2018 :  7:49:42 PM  Show Profile
So sad when you lose one of them. A hawk would have flown away with it, that's what happened to one of our rooster - an eagle took him. My guess would be a smaller animal, coon, cat, dog.

Nora
Farmgirl Sister #7131
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2017
http://firecatinc.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2018 :  1:24:56 PM  Show Profile
Yes, its a hawk. He cant fly away with the prey because he only could reach through the fence and pull through. He’s been trying again all week. He’s magnificent - so beautiful but I’d like him to find a different snack than my chickie girls. Foxes and bears have tried to get in and failed, but we didn’t think of something pulling through from the other side, so we are lining the coop yard with finer gauge wire all around. Foul Knox will be even more lockdowned!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155

Suburban Farmgirl Blog

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2018 :  1:49:01 PM  Show Profile
Nicole I agree hawks are magnificent creatures. Before I moved to Paris I lived on a small hill and one year I ran around my back yard waving a kitchen towel to keep a hawk away from cardinals nesting in a thicket along back fence line. Now that I think about it my neighbors must have thought I had lost my mind.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.
Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Predator vs chicken :(. Update Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page