Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills
 Home improvements...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills: Previous Topic Home improvements... Next Topic  

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2018 :  06:21:58 AM  Show Profile
Would it be fun to have a thread to chatter about our various home improvement projects - big and small?

So many these days either don't bother or hire it out. We try to do as MUCH ourselves as possible. Our experience with hiring others has not been pleasant to say the least!

Right now we have a long list of projects lined up! This weekend I'll be working on caulking and painting white trim DH put up in the downstairs hallway.

We recently finished all of that work in the two downstairs bedrooms, bathroom and and laundry. Painted all of the walls too - except laundry - already done a while ago.

DH made a towel rack for the bathroom - kind of a farmhouse look to it - antiqued white wood - with cast iron hooks we painted white then aged.

He did the wooden mirror frame (for mirror over sink) the same way and made a matching hand towel holder too. And also a little shelf that we put on wall over toilet was painted/aged to match. Most of decor is hung in bathroom now - I just need to find something to finish up decor on shelf.

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1019 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1019 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2018 :  7:59:30 PM  Show Profile
I think that would be fun. My house has been under construction for the past two years but slowly it is coking together.

TW

The fun begins where the sidewalk ends. Shel Silverstein
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2204 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2204 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2018 :  05:19:02 AM  Show Profile

We had a contractor put in drywall in the basement, but I painted the ceiling and walls. Then we put in vinyl planks. The instructions weren't too clear on how to snap them together, but I learned. We wrestled the pellet stove into place carefully. Then we put on the baseboards and moved a couch. It is now a guest/mother-in-law suite. We're thinking of a sliding barn door for it too.

Farmgirl Sister #6754
Doxie Mom - Everyone loves a Weiner!

Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant, in which case me will eat a cookie.
Cookie Monster
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2018 :  06:29:18 AM  Show Profile
I moved to my "Little Eden" in Paris, TX six years ago. The first thing I did was have dusk to dawn lights installed on front porch and rear deck.

Next I painted the shutters on front porch windows yellow and the wrought iron porch post black.

The previous owners put up new siding and when they did they covered the door that went from the little bedroom to the carport. A couple of years ago I had the siding removed at the door; door opening reframed; and added a storm door. They had left the door just covered it with siding on the outside.

There's always upkeep and repairs on a old house but no more what could be called remodeling. The inside had completely been redone - also new plumping and electric wiring 10 years ago.

My house was built in 1941-2 at Camp Maxey Training Base outside of Paris. As WWII came to an end the base was closed and buildings either moved or destroyed. My house was moved into town on a small lot. I do like knowing my house's history.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.
Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

atkinst2
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Theresa
Canal Winchester OH
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2018 :  2:28:43 PM  Show Profile
Been remodeling my DD's condo. Slow but sure. We have been working on it for 4 years. We are down to the kitchen, which I hope to start this spring. Very slow as my daughter is disabled and it is only her and I doing it. (except for the bathroom and I hired that done).

Her place is 1,100 sq foot. We have put down hardwood floors everywhere but the bathrooms and kitchen, painted everything but the kitchen. New front door. Fence around the patio. Because the condo is on the older side I do have trouble finding things like.... I need a bathroom door for the 1/2 bath but it is 23 inches. Everyone seems to have 24 inches. Hate to special order so have been looking here and there for a used one.

There is never a road so long that there isn't a curve in it.
Go to Top of Page
  Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills: Previous Topic Home improvements... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page