AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2018 :  05:19:02 AM  Show Profile
This weekend I bought supplies to help me with my next Royal Icing attempt - meringue powder, gel food colors, squeeze bottles :) Looking forward to practicing! I want to expand my cake/cookie decorating skill set!!!
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6699 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6699 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2018 :  11:26:02 AM  Show Profile
Oh Jamie! I am so excited for you! When are you going to try? What do you think you will make?

Krista
Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2018 :  10:29:15 AM  Show Profile
I am excited too! I am going to make up a batch of sugar cookie dough tomorrow night after work so it can chill overnight in the fridge. I've got several similar recipes lined up for testing but am starting with a simple one that uses a bit of maple syrup in the dough to flavor the cookie.

I thought that it would be fun for DS and I to use spring/Easter shaped cookie cutters to cut out the dough. I'm going to try popping the cut out cookies in the freezer for 5-10 minutes before baking - it's supposed to help them hold their shape better as they bake. Figure if I put them on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet I can just slide the paper off the chilled cookie sheet to a room temp one before going in the oven...otherwise the chilled pan might warp being suddenly subjected to heat!

I've got several gel icing colors, orange, yellow, red, blue and green that I hope to mix and match to make other colors too. I might make up the royal icing Friday night as well and just keep in fridge overnight covered tightly - pressed down on top - with plastic wrap - that is supposed to be fine.

Fingers crossed I can make it all happen! I'm sure my first attempt won't be Pinterest worthy but you have to start somewhere right?
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6699 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6699 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2018 :  11:36:54 AM  Show Profile
I haven't heard of putting the dough in the freezer first. If it works let me know. I'll make sure to start doing that if I does. I also agree with the parchment paper idea. My fingers are crossed for you and I'm getting super excited to see how they turn out! I bet they will turn out great!

I wonder how the maple syrup tastes in the cookie dough? I can't remeber if I said before but I love almond flavored cookies, so I want to find a great sugar cookie recipe that includes that.

Krista
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic I'll Take the Cake! Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page