Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Do any of you live in non-traditional houses?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Do any of you live in non-traditional houses? Next Topic  

RachelLeigh
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Rachel
Rainier WA
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2018 :  09:55:37 AM  Show Profile
Tim (husband) and I are really hoping to live mortgage-free someday. We are planning on buying a piece of land near Lake Cushman on the Olympic Peninsula later this year, and we're going to use it to camp on with our motorhome for the next few years.

Long term, though, we're interested in placing a tiny house and moving there full time. We've looked at a lot of different options for small house living, but we keep coming back to one type - toy hauler fifth wheel trailers. We've gone to RV shows and RV lots to explore and I can totally see myself living in one. We're looking at the ones on the "luxury" end of the spectrum, with washer/dryer hook-ups and 1.5 baths, including a bathroom in the garage area. We would use the ramp part as a porch and would turn the empty garage area into an office.

I'm just curious - if you live in a non-traditional home, what type do you live in? What do you love (and hate) about it?

Thanks!

Farmgirl Sister #127
My blog: http://14thandoak.com

hoosiercountry
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

karla
north port fl
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2018 :  4:27:08 PM  Show Profile
Hi Rachel,
I have a very good friend who lives in a 17 foot 5th wheel trailer, and has for about 9 years now. He winters here in Florida then goes north in the late spring. He loves being able to take his home where ever he goes. He has been able to travel out west visit family and not be a burden on anyone. His biggest complaint is storage space. He is a very organized person and has come up with some really great ways to store things, but he says sometimes it's not enough.
When traveling he always stops at camp grounds and sets up stays for two or three days, then back on the road. Yes he says staying at a motel over night would be easier but he likes sitting in his own chair and sleeping in his own bed. He sets it up nice where he can sit out side and cook out and such. Being only him his laundry is not so much.
With his travel companion (Hemi the cat) he said he would never go back to living in a house. Hugs Karla

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17017 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17017 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2018 :  9:52:59 PM  Show Profile
Rachel, hubby, myself along with our dog and cat lived in a 38' 5th Wheel for 3 months,,, and it was quit comfy,, it had a master bedroom with shower and potty room,,, and a TV,, then there was a 2nd bedroom also with a sofa and bed and a TV, Then there is a 2nd potty room. As for the main area, a sofa, dinette, TV and fireplace and the kitchen has a fridge/freezer and microwave,, talk about down sizing,, but let me tell you, 'House cleaning' was a snap...lol! In the closet in the master bedroom, there is mini washer/spinner hook-up. But I used the laundry mat,, quicker,,,
My hubby teases me and says I am part Gypsy because I could live like that... hmmm, maybe so... lol!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2018 :  06:07:04 AM  Show Profile
I have a traditional home-but we also have a cabin built by hand and with scraps from an old torn down house. I love the simplicity of it-no electricity and no phone. We get our water out of a mountain stream and I heat water for my bath. We did put in a retro tub and it is great, You know how it feels to have no power and no water-no phone.no pool.no pets.As Roger Miler would say, But we do have pets-seven dogs and they love the cabin. Our oldest and largest runs upstairs and gets in the bed as soon as we get there. It's called Happy Dog Lodge.
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2018 :  4:46:51 PM  Show Profile
We retired and bought a 29 foot motorhome and moved to Florida. Lived in that for only 6 months, we bought a 36 foot 5th wheel and lived in that for 3 years. It was nice, but me being a crafter, I ran out of storage space for all my hobbies. We just moved into a 2 bedroom mobile home, smaller, but I now have a craft room for all my stash!!!! I did like our 5th wheel. It was cozy in there.

Jan
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Do any of you live in non-traditional houses? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page