Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 re-learning how to cook...any suggestions?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic re-learning how to cook...any suggestions? Next Topic  

janiee
True Blue Farmgirl

820 Posts

Janie
Shawnee Oklahoma
USA
820 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2018 :  4:42:02 PM  Show Profile
I am 60 years old and for one reason or another have not really made an effort to cook a decent meal for several years. I do not have a stove but I do have a toaster oven, electric skillet, crock pot and microwave. I also have a heating unit I use now and then. I would really appreciate any ideas for easy meals and balanced meals. Its just me and its hard for me to figure out how to cut recipes down in size. Also, I am allergic to onions and garlic and would love substitutes. One of my resolutions is to learn how to be a better cook. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you
Janiee
Farmgirl 390

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2018 :  04:24:34 AM  Show Profile
Janiee, I cook for one too so I know it can be a challenge. With all your small appliances you should be able to cook almost anything you want to. Years ago I had a small electric skillet and it made the best liver and onions.

When steak is on sale or in marked-down bin I buy it and cook like a small roast with vegetables in my crock pot. What's left after several meals is made into soup. Less meat - more vegetables.

There's so much to talk about this subject that I'll revisit when I think of something else.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.
Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2018 :  06:58:00 AM  Show Profile
Janiee - Do you have access to Pinterest? I just searched "cooking for one" on there and found a TON of good looking pins with recipes and tips!

Also, do you have a freezer?

I often make batches of chili and freeze in single serving portions for my lunches. When I make pancakes I freeze the extra ones, or make extra on purpose, and then I have a quick breakfast option later in the week. There are a lot of ways I use my freezer to feed just me since DH is on Keto diet and DS has a fairly set roster of things he will actually eat.

Looking forward to discussing more!
Go to Top of Page

janiee
True Blue Farmgirl

820 Posts

Janie
Shawnee Oklahoma
USA
820 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2018 :  12:13:03 PM  Show Profile
Thanks gals! It gives me at least a direction to start. I am ashamed to admit that I have been on a tv diet for awhile. Janiee
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2018 :  3:14:02 PM  Show Profile
Jamie, I admit it's really hard to cook for just one. I tend to do better when I'm making meals for more than one and I'm not the best at using leftovers. Have you ever looked at any of MaryJane's meals? Maybe they could help you get started on healthier eating.

Krista
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic re-learning how to cook...any suggestions? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page