saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2018 :  08:32:28 AM  Show Profile
I have a tree that is loaded with lemons. Usually I just let them drop, but this year I am inspired to try to make use of some of them. Do you have a favorite recipe or way of preserving lemons that you'd like to share?

HodgeLodge
True Blue Farmgirl

662 Posts

Tiana
Berkeley Springs WV
USA
662 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2018 :  09:00:33 AM  Show Profile
Sara wow that sounds beautiful. I grow a few indoors from our Meyer Lemon tree. I have made a very nice batch of Lemoncello in past years. Pretty easy too. Also I make a Lemon Ricotta Poundcake with a blueberry sauce for topping. That and I drink water with fresh lemon every morning before coffee and anything else, also during the day. http://alexandracooks.com/2013/05/07/lemon-ricotta-pound-cake-%E2%80%A2-mothers-day-%E2%80%A2-handmade-accordion-book/

Farmgirl #4817-The greatest gift of the garden is the restoration of the five senses. ~Hanna Rion

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6790 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6790 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2018 :  09:14:41 AM  Show Profile
Sara a lemon tree - I'm so jealous but not in a mean way.

I dry lemon slices for hot tea or lemon sugar. Layer dried lemon slices in sugar. Can use dried lemon peels for tea and sugar.

I have preserved lemons in salt to use in mid-eastern dishes and roasted chicken.

To preserve lemons in salt.

Wash - dry whole lemons

Quarter lemons lengthwise but not all the why through. Fill each lemon with Kosher salt as you put in wide mouth jar. Seal and put on counter - after two weeks put in fridge to keep up to a year.

Depending on how much salt you want rinse the lemons before using.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.
Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Edited by - YellowRose on Jan 10 2018 09:15:47 AM
Go to Top of Page

HodgeLodge
True Blue Farmgirl

662 Posts

Tiana
Berkeley Springs WV
USA
662 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2018 :  10:15:46 AM  Show Profile
YellowRose that sounds awesome. I would like to try that lemon sugar!

Farmgirl #4817-The greatest gift of the garden is the restoration of the five senses. ~Hanna Rion

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6790 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6790 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2018 :  10:46:57 AM  Show Profile
Tiana, when making flavored sugar or salt use only dried herbs or citrus slices or peels.

I did see Martha Stewart make orange sugar for icing using ground fresh orange peels added to powdered sugar. I'm not a baker so doubt I will be making icing.

Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2018 :  11:55:11 AM  Show Profile
Lemon is one of my favorite flavors!

I have made these lemon bars MANY times and people always rave about them!

http://www.rockrecipes.com/super-easy-lemon-bars/

Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4714 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4714 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2018 :  04:06:49 AM  Show Profile
I use fresh squeezed lemon juice and zest in place of salad dressings. Also, lemon is my main flavoring ingredient instead of salt for savory dishes.

You can also use lemon juice for cleaning recipes. Once I've tested and juice a lemon, I put it in a open bowl in the refrigerator as a air freshener. When the bowl is full, I add water and put it in the microwave to steam clean and freshen it up. Finally the used up lemons go down the garbage disposal drain as a deodorizer.

Please use those lemons! Think of us in the midwest who have to pay top dollar for them while you grow your own. I wish I could have a lemon tree, but we don't have the right conditions for one, inside or out.

Dawn in IL

Life is like a novel, every day is a new page......
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6790 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6790 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2018 :  04:57:54 AM  Show Profile
Dawn thanks for the hint of using lemons in savory dishes instead of salt.

I will try the recipes for cleaning - so easy - thanks.

Go to Top of Page

HodgeLodge
True Blue Farmgirl

662 Posts

Tiana
Berkeley Springs WV
USA
662 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2018 :  08:26:20 AM  Show Profile
I like this lemon cello recipe. Great as gifts too. Very Italian.
http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes/debi-mazar-and-gabriele-corcos/limoncello-2012689

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6680 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6680 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2018 :  12:24:02 PM  Show Profile
I don't have any personal recipes but I love lemon bars and other lemon desserts. I also use lemon in my tea. I wish I had a lemon tree in my backyard. Good luck with all the fun recipes! I know I'm going to b trying some.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4330 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4330 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2018 :  3:03:41 PM  Show Profile
oH sARA m THAT IS SO WONDERFUL! wE HAVE FRIENDS WHO SHARE THEIR MEYER LEMONS WITH US AND i HAVE SEEDS TO PLANT THIS SPRING! FINGERS CROSSED! i USE LEMONS EVERY MORNING IN MY HOT WATER AND THROUGHOUT THE DAY IN MY TEAS! i LIKE kRISTA LOVE LEMON BARS AND ALSO USE MINE IN MY COOKING LIKE IN MY FISH DISHES, SALMON AND mAHI mAHI! eNJOY AND CAN'T WAIT TO HEAR HOW YOU USE YOURS!!

Farmgirl #7703
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2018 :  08:17:22 AM  Show Profile
I make lemonade concentrate (Make a simple syrup of 1 cup water to 1 cup sugar, cook to boil and sugar has melted, cool and add 1 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice and a tbsp. of rind) freeze in 16 ounce jars. To make the lemonade, add three 16 oz. jars of water to one bottle of concentrate.

Jana

http://www.emhardt.com

https://www.etsy.com/shop/cjhandcraftedstudio

Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes. ~Author Unknown
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt! ~Charles Schulz
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6790 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6790 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2018 :  08:35:23 AM  Show Profile
Jana, great lemon consecrate recipe. The next time lemons go on sale I think I'll get a bag and make it. Will freeze in ice cube trays so I can make single servings. Store in freezer zip-lock bags. Will just have to figure out how many cubes to a glass of lemonade.

Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2018 :  07:04:29 AM  Show Profile
Oh my guys! What great ideas! So sorry I didn't pick them up earlier, but I got distracted by the birth of my new grandson! SOOOOOO cute!!
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2018 :  07:11:50 AM  Show Profile
I am super impressed by the lemonade concentrate idea! I will definitely try that one and suggest it to my new DIL to be.

Funny story about my lemon tree....I have a mandarin tree which sends up hideous suckers from the root stock, covered in 3-inch long thorns. Usually we cut these out so we aren't impaled while picking mandarins, but one got away from us and, low and behold, one year there were orange-skinned lemons growing on it! Turns out the root stock of the mandarin is some sort of lemon, so I just let it grow and now we have a dual purpose tree! It is my favorite story in support of procrastination! :-)

I want to fill boxes with lemons and mail them to all of you !!!
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2018 :  07:33:14 AM  Show Profile
Sara, I understand how you make the salt-preserved lemons but can't picture how they are used. Do you use the entire fruit intact in a recipe?
Also, it sounds like you would have a lovely side-product of lemon salt after using them?
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6790 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6790 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2018 :  07:45:49 AM  Show Profile
Sara congratulations on new grandson.

I use the rind and pulp depending on the dish. The juice is thick and salty and like you said it can be used in place of salt.

I find things like preserved lemons are fun to experiment with - may only use in a dish once - in others every time I make it. I follow the shotgun method of testing new ingredients - try them in a lot of different dishes hoping one will be a winner.

Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2018 :  06:14:44 AM  Show Profile
I've canned strawberry lemonade concentrate before and have been wanting to can some just plain lemonade concentrate as well.

When all else fails and lemons are abundant I wash the rinds well, juice them and freeze juice in 1 T amounts in ice cube trays. Makes using fresh juice in recipes a snap! I save the juiced rinds in the freezer - just thrown in a ziplock. When a recipe calls for fresh lemon zest I pull out what I need and use my microplane grater - love that thing! Works really well to zest the lemons while still frozen!
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2018 :  09:42:31 AM  Show Profile
I found a recipe in a magazine for Lemon Rosemary Muffins, combining two things I have in abundance! Going to try it!
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Let's share lemon recipes Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page