YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2018 :  06:31:49 AM  Show Profile
We're having fun and learning about keeping a frugal kitchen over on Farm Kitchen so I thought I would start a frugal thread for gardening.

I use water from washing vegetables/fruit and dishes to water my container herbs and flowers.

During growing season I put banana peels around rose bushes for potassium. This time of the year is a good time to buy the $2 bag of bananas in the marked-down bin. Will dry the peels in dehydrator and grind in blender until a powder; store in mason jar. The powder comes in handy when I don't have the peels. I can make muffins or a smoothie with the bananas. I find frugal living often overlaps into different areas - kitchens and gardens.

How do you keep your frugal gardens?

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.
Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

HodgeLodge
True Blue Farmgirl

662 Posts

Tiana
Berkeley Springs WV
USA
662 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2018 :  09:08:44 AM  Show Profile
This is a great topic Sara. Would love to see pictures of your garden! We compost a lot here from kitchen scraps, chicken coop straw, leaves, grass clippings etc. We do rain barrels for watering. Saved coffee grounds for the blueberries who need the acid. Sharing starts with friends that want a cutting here or there and don't have money for buying them. Most gardeners are happy to share I find. Watching this post for ideas.

Farmgirl #4817-The greatest gift of the garden is the restoration of the five senses. ~Hanna Rion

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2018 :  09:25:34 AM  Show Profile
Tiana I don't post pictures. I garden mostly in containers with a few things in the ground. I have a small shady backyard that I have given over to Annie. She leaves my plants alone on the deck and she is free to run and play in her yard. I do have herbs and flowers in containers in side and front yard. Only things in the ground are roses; lantanas; marrow roses; wandering Jew; and my grandmother's purple irises. All plants in the ground are perennials.

I would love to compost but I don't have a place to do it. Annie would love to roll in it. Have thought about getting one of those composting barrels but I don't want to invest that much in one.

Go to Top of Page

HodgeLodge
True Blue Farmgirl

662 Posts

Tiana
Berkeley Springs WV
USA
662 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2018 :  10:22:32 AM  Show Profile
I understand. It sounds very nice though. We use pallets side by side and have 3 wholes for the composting.I'm still working on the whole gardening thing up here. It is awful ground. Soooo many rocks that I have started to grow in raised beds and some in the ground.

Farmgirl #4817-The greatest gift of the garden is the restoration of the five senses. ~Hanna Rion

Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2018 :  10:38:25 AM  Show Profile
We have compost piles (one outside the chicken pen for things they can't have and one inside so they scratch around, eat what they want, help turn it and the bugs and worms it attracts helps feed the chickens), we plant mostly from seed. I haven't been very successful at gardening but DH built some beds using rocks from around the property as a border and old lattice that was in our yard when we moved in for a support for viney plants. My parents got us a gas tiller for Christmas so we will be expanding a bit! We dump ash from our fireplace in the gardens, I can't remember what it is supposed to help with but it conditions the soil somehow. Old chicken bedding goes in the compost. Leaves that get raked up go in it too. The neighbor has shared some plants with us which is lovely and we swap veggies with them. I save seeds from my fruit and veggies.

Thanks for sharing the banana peel idea, I hadn't heard of that and have at least one rose bush (we planted 3 last year but the dogs trampled them, one is for sure gone and the other I'm not sure) but pretty sure the 3rd survived.

I'll be following along for other ideas!!

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275
February 2016 Farmgirl of the Month
http://kidscrunchandchrist.com
*Journal Through The Bible*The Life Giving Home Study*Homemaker's Bookclub*

Go to Top of Page

firecatinc
True Blue Farmgirl

1252 Posts

Lenora
Fulks Run VA
USA
1252 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2018 :  4:00:09 PM  Show Profile
You can also use water that you have cooked vegetables in to water your plants. I grow celery in my window from the end of the stalk. I have also grown some Romaine lettuce this way.

Nora
Farmgirl Sister #7131
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2017
http://firecatinc.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2018 :  07:50:50 AM  Show Profile
Today I planted a bulb of garlic that spouted when it got lost in my pantry. Put 11 cloves in a long container. Don't know if it's too late to start them outdoors but I will see in the spring. I want them to use as green garlic. Green garlic is when you harvest garlic before the bulb makes cloves but has new green growth. Can be used as mature garlic. I use the tender green part as well as the bulb.

Go to Top of Page

HodgeLodge
True Blue Farmgirl

662 Posts

Tiana
Berkeley Springs WV
USA
662 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2018 :  07:55:10 AM  Show Profile
I love garlic scapes Sara. Have you tried them? I am organizing my seeds today to see what I have, what I want, i'm gearing up for the garden season. I found numerous bags of flower seeds.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2018 :  08:08:06 AM  Show Profile
I planted garlic last year that was supposed to make scapes but none of the garlic made. I lost over $20 so from now on I am sticking with garlic from the grocery store to plant. A couple of years ago I planted 50 cloves from store and they all made.

Go to Top of Page

HodgeLodge
True Blue Farmgirl

662 Posts

Tiana
Berkeley Springs WV
USA
662 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2018 :  12:08:19 PM  Show Profile
I have planted some from the store too. I have not planted any this year. If we have a break in the weather I might put a few in the ground.

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Our Frugal Gardens Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page