KayB
True Blue Farmgirl

540 Posts

Kay
Del City Oklahoma
USA
540 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2017 :  9:40:49 PM  Show Profile
My chickens will not come in out of the cold. I have been working on their coops and opened the storage building for them, but they stay out in the weather. Four of them roost on the privacy fence, 3 of them roost way high in the pecan tree, and 2 of them roost on our barbecue grill. The geese and ducks just go wherever.

I got them all when they were tiny and origin they were housed in really large dog crates and then when they got bigger and the weather was nicer they just roamed the yard (we live on 1/2 acre). They roamed so well that my garden fed them very well. Will have to fence that in this year. For quite some time around dusk they would all go back inside the crates, but now they won't go inside at all. The wind was blowing really hard last night and the 3 tree climbers were still out there. I couldn't get them to come down.

Tonight is supposed to get really cold and I still can't get them in. My friend said her grandfather's never stayed in coops or had heat lamps or anything (but then she thinks I feed them wrong because I give them scratch and crumbles and occasionally mix in ground up breads/bread products and dried egg shells. Is it safe for them to be out like that or do I need to really crack down on getting them in the coops?

Thanks.

KayB

Life's a dance you learn as you go

Farmgirl Sister #2351

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6677 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6677 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2017 :  12:20:32 PM  Show Profile
I don't know anything about chickens, but I hope you can find someone who can help. I would be worrying about them as well and would hate to see them get to cold.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

firecatinc
True Blue Farmgirl

1252 Posts

Lenora
Fulks Run VA
USA
1252 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2017 :  4:38:28 PM  Show Profile
Once you get them corralled, and you may have to go out after dark and physically move them to where you want them, leave them closed up for a few day, They should then go in on their own. I still have one hen that roosts in the trees until it get really cold then she goes in the coop with the rest.

Nora
Farmgirl Sister #7131
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2017
http://firecatinc.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4099 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4099 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2017 :  04:30:20 AM  Show Profile
I would round them up, put them in the coop, and leave them in there for a few days. They will hopefully learn that is their house and it helps if you feed them in there. Then when you let them out if all goes well they will go back in at night. Leaving them outside they are sitting ducks (chickens) for predators. can't say for sure it would work, but worth a try.

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17017 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17017 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2017 :  10:17:01 PM  Show Profile
hmmm... you might need to check into these... lol!

lolol!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2017 :  04:47:48 AM  Show Profile
Good morning,

If you do not have to worry about predators or where the eggs are hidden or visiting the neighbors do not worry about the chickens. They have great biological systems for dealing with the cold. We have had guinea fowl that stayed out all winter perched at night on top of a tall fence. We live further north than you do.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Mamagoat
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Maggie
Ellis Grove IL
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2018 :  12:48:27 PM  Show Profile
Speaking of crazy chickens... so there I was, sleeping all nice and comfy in my bed on my day off after having worked 16 hour days at my "real" job all week. The gouse was quiet, my wife was at work, the goats and chickens were busy eating or exploring, and I was having the greatest sleep I have had all week. All of a sudden I hear a very loud chicken clucking complaint from a chicken which startles me awake, and then Galavant, my rooster, starts crowing, and other chicken join in their "im not a happy chicken" song, clucking loudly and angrily. I opened the blinds and peeked out at the chickens. A stray black cat had found her way into the yard, she was just walking around, minding her own business. I have seen her a lot, normally she stays by the pond, she doesn't like people. Anyways this black cat is doimg nothing wrong, I wouldnt mind if she took up residence in the barn, but my chickens weren't having it. They formed a mob and were chanting in chicken speak as they advanced as one towards the cat, much like the angry mob scene in Frankenstein. I watched from my window, unseen by the critters, to see how tgis mon scene would play out. And then Galavant sounded off, in what can probably be translated as CHARGE and allbthe chickens began running towards the cat, who backed herself up to the fence. She didn't crouch down to pounce, her tail didn't even twitch, the look on her face wasn't one of fear or shock, she's a cat who survives long cold nights outside in the harsh winter and evades coyotes on a nightly basis. She is fearless. And the chickens got closer and closer, clucking all the while. Before they could reach her, she hopped the fence and stood on the other side looking in at the chickens. The chickens dispersed from their mob, congratulating each other on banishing the beast, and Galavant let out a crow of pride and puffed his chest out, taking full credit for chasing the cat out of the yard. Everything is now back to normal, and I must now catch up on some much needed sleep. Chickens are crazy.
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4099 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4099 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2018 :  04:11:10 AM  Show Profile
lol great chicken story. It is amazing how animals will come together and take care of things.

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

magnoliakathy
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Kathryn
Magnolia Texas
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2018 :  07:40:26 AM  Show Profile
I suggest that when you feed, anytime you feed put the goodies inside the coop. I feed scratch and crumble in the evenings only, inside the coop. Occasionally, the guinea gets goofy and sleeps in a tree, but all of my chickens, and one turkey go inside. Scraps go in the compost pile, which is actually a all-day chicken/turkey buffet. I am expecting 15 poults the second week of April, so Tommy will have company soon.

Find something to smile about every day. Farmgirl # 714,
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Crazy chickens Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page