Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2017 :  06:33:10 AM  Show Profile
I have a raised bed in a narrow section of side yard, I'm sure at one point in time there were things intentionally planted there but now it is just a jumbled mess of weeds, saplings, and ivy. I would like to plant something there that would look nice but it gets basically no direct sunlight, the house is on one side and lots of trees on the other so I'm not sure what will grow with very little direct sun and almost constant shade. My preference is generally for bulbs or perennials so I don't have to re-plant every year. If it is something snakes don't like all the better!! I'm basically a total novice at gardening.

Any suggestions?

Oh we live in Kansas, zone 6.

Thanks!!

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275
February 2016 Farmgirl of the Month
http://kidscrunchandchrist.com

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2017 :  12:04:09 PM  Show Profile
Sabrina,

If it gets no direct sun, then it would be considered "full shade". You can Google "best full shade perennials" for some ideas, but another thing to take into consideration is water and summer heat. Does the area get very dry in the summer? this is my issue with many suggested shade plants. I am in Zone 8 in TX so it is HOT and DRY come summer. Things like astilbe, heuchera, and columbine don't survive the massive heat and my lack of watering.

However, I use wood fern, Japanese painted fern, lamb's ears, violets (woodland type), ajuga, and even oregano with a lot of success. These may not work for your zone as perennials, though.

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.blog
Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2017 :  05:37:35 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Amanda I’ll look that up. I am originally from TX so and don’t consider it dry here at all. It gets into the upper 90s but doesn’t stay there long and since it is full shade that area stays cooler.

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275

Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2017 :  10:24:59 PM  Show Profile
Oh, nice! If I could, I'd move north from the end of June until October. Too hot and dry for this girl. Lol.

a

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.blog
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4714 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4714 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2017 :  03:55:26 AM  Show Profile
I would think hostas and ferns would do well in full shade and your zone. Bergenia, Solomon's Seal (Love the variegated version) pachysandra is a great ground over in full shade, astilbe, and the list goes on for my Zone 5 shade gardens west of Chicago. Talk to an actual landscape nursery or if you have a botanical garden or arboretum by you to email questions. They would know what is best not only for your zone by also your particular area.

Have fun dreaming & planning for that 2018 shade garden! They are beautiful, cool looking even in a heatwave and quite restful.
Dawn in IL

Life is like a novel, every day is a new page......
Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2017 :  05:06:49 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Dawn! I didn't think about just going to the nursery to ask, we have a couple of good ones.

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Ornamental plants in shade Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page