Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Making clothes affordably
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Making clothes affordably Next Topic  

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2017 :  06:19:02 AM  Show Profile
Hello sisters,

I've been organizing my craft room and pulling myself out of survival mode. One thing I've been inspired to think about is making my own clothes for myself and my kids (mostly my daughters). Part of this is for the ability to make things we like and fit well, partly because making things with my own hands is rewarding in itself, and partly because I HATE most of the "styles" in the store right now (ESPECIALLY those for little girls). The problem is fabric is so expensive!! Even buying it 50% off (which you can always find if you just wait for the sale cycle) I can often buy complete outfits new for less than the fabric. That said I'm starting to find that the quality of store bought clothes is rapidly declining. Anyway I'm wondering if any of you have suggestions for getting fabric (or trim, notions etc) to make clothes on a budget? How do you make sewing affordable or even frugal?

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275
February 2016 Farmgirl of the Month
http://kidscrunchandchrist.com

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6810 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6810 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2017 :  06:51:24 AM  Show Profile
Sabrina, I knew a woman who bought dresses at thrift stores, Salvation Army, Goodwill, and garage sales with enough fabric she liked and ripped them apart. After washing and ironing the fabric she made clothes for herself and children. Also a good way to get buttons and trim. Larger the size of the dresses the better.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.
Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2017 :  06:56:53 AM  Show Profile
One can get fabric at thrift stores. The Saver's here has a whole rack of yardage that isn't expensive. I also like to buy a hideous-looking prom or bridesmaid dress just for the fabric. I only shop store sales for basics such as muslin and interfacing because this cannot be retrieved from a garment. Check out dumpsters for discarded clothing too. It is free and that is a good price.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2017 :  07:58:22 AM  Show Profile
Consider using cute sheets that you can buy at thrift stores for little girls dresses. I have used sheets for the Mtn. Man Rendezvous clothing that I sew. I have also made cute tiered tye died skirts and tops out of used sheets.

Sherone

Farmgirl Sister #93
My Blog

www.annapearlsattic.blogspot.com

My Etsy

www.etsy.com/shop/annapearlsattic

My Avon

www.youravon.com/sheronetaylor

The Gourmet Cupboard

http://www.thegourmetcupboard.com/sites/sheronetaylor8622

Women are angels. When someone breaks our wings, we just jump on our broomsticks and fly! We are flexible that way!
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13567 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13567 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2017 :  12:10:47 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
I have used sheets in wonderful prints and great quality/condition fabric for aprons and other clothing items. I have found LOTS of them at thrift stores for a "not much". Might give that a thought as well!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2017 :  05:41:40 AM  Show Profile
Sheets are a good idea! I will keep my eyes out for sheets and larger clothing with great fabric. One problem is we don’t have good thrift stores here but I’ll watch at the stores we do have. I also need to learn if/how Joann’s will stack coupons for things I need to buy there. I know Hobby Lobby doesn’t stack at all, those are our two fabric stores.

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275

Go to Top of Page

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2017 :  07:47:37 AM  Show Profile
Joanns has lots of online coupons. If you have a smart phone, they can scan right off of your phone. Get on their email list, so you can see their sales.

Sherone

Farmgirl Sister #93
My Blog

www.annapearlsattic.blogspot.com

My Etsy

www.etsy.com/shop/annapearlsattic

My Avon

www.youravon.com/sheronetaylor

The Gourmet Cupboard

http://www.thegourmetcupboard.com/sites/sheronetaylor8622

Women are angels. When someone breaks our wings, we just jump on our broomsticks and fly! We are flexible that way!
Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2017 :  12:53:42 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Sherone, I just downloaded their app but learned that some of the coupons don't work in conjunction with the sale price (even though the coupon itself says it does). So I need to learn what works with what so I can take the most advantage of it. The app is great as it has the weekly sales and coupons on it and I signed up for the text coupons so I get those too.

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275

Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Making clothes affordably Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page