Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Gardens 2018 - Harvest - Fall Gardens
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Gardens 2018 - Harvest - Fall Gardens Next Topic
Page: of 8

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2018 :  05:55:05 AM  Show Profile
Hay there. The daffodils are in full bloom and the lemon verbena is flourishing too. Spring is just a short time away. I am soooo ready. Hugs.

Hugs and prayers, Daizy #1093
Poor House Farmgirl Chapter {A virtual chapter open to everyone.}
A good day is when you find ALL your ear tags! I wonder how my cows would like my Farmgirl apron??
www.poorhouseparadise.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2018 :  06:30:56 AM  Show Profile
Daizy, my bulbs are just now starting to pop up. Only have a few left from when I had chickens and they loved to peck and scratch along back fence. Enjoy a cup of lemon verbena tea.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.
Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2018 :  2:52:36 PM  Show Profile
The other day I cleaned out my kitchen garden--the one raised bed I have, just out the back door--and sprinkled five or six rows of letuces, kales and chard that were left from last season. I so love to be able to conjure an entire green salad out of my garden for dinner!
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2018 :  06:10:43 AM  Show Profile
Sara that is a true kitchen garden close to the back door.

I have grown chard in containers with good results - enough for one person. The chard lasted through 3 frosts before ice got it. I may grow a container of chard this year.

I have seeds for baby mustards and another baby mix but no chard. I would like to find just a plant or two of chard to put in a pot.

Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2018 :  08:23:15 AM  Show Profile
Last night I made a winter squash soup from one of my garden sugar pumpkins. Because of the Dreaming n/Planning I did this time a year ago, I am able to step out the back door and choose another pumpkin to roast slowly in my oven this morning.

Keep the vision, ladies! You can't plant a seed without some faith!
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2018 :  08:53:52 AM  Show Profile
Sara, pumpkins at your back door - how neat is that.

Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2018 :  08:39:50 AM  Show Profile
Northern California is sitting under an unusually cold cell today--we got to 22 here at the farm. I know that doesn't sound like much to many of you but last week we were enjoying high 70s and all the thousands of acres of almond trees are in full bloom. Do you know that California produces around 95% of the world's almonds? It's a multi billion dollar business, and it may have just hit disaster last night.

In ag and gardens, some things you can't control.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2018 :  09:25:48 AM  Show Profile
Sara sorry to hear the almond harvest maybe in danger. Are your walnut trees blooming?

It's 70 today but temps will be dropping to daytime of low 50s. I'm thinking about sowing baby mustard greens and a baby mix of other greens next week in containers outside. All I need is more potting soil. Our last frost date is mid-March but we never had frost in the fall so I don't know what to expect for our spring.

My little bay tree has thrived indoors and is putting on new growth. Since I moved it inside in late Oct I guess I have used a dozen or more leaves in cooking. Love having fresh bay leaves. I will put it back on the deck in late March or early April depending on the weather.

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16961 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16961 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2018 :  11:02:14 PM  Show Profile
Saram,, I hear ya,, Central Cal., is major agri land and frost can wipe out crops over night. Thank goodness for smudge pots and fans.
My cousins are in the Raisin/almonds & pistachio farming bizz in the NW Fresno farm valley area.

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2018 :  10:58:37 AM  Show Profile
ahhh, yes! Big almond country down there. My son tells me the Tulare Basin area was hardest hit--up to 50% crop failure.

Sara, I would LOVE to have a bay tree! Gotta add that to my list!
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2018 :  11:18:14 AM  Show Profile
Sara my bay tree has been one of my best plant purchases. I highly recommend it to you. I got my last spring and harvested leaves off it all winter. I got it from Mountain Valley Growers - $6.50 for a 3" plant was well worth the money. Here's the link to the bay tree.

http://www.mountainvalleygrowers.com/launobilis.htm

Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2018 :  12:14:22 PM  Show Profile
Thank you so much! What a lovely business to discover, and kinda in my neighborhood! They have lots of fun stuff going on!
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2018 :  12:15:08 PM  Show Profile
I see tiny new lettuces peeking out in my kitchen garden!

And my seed packets arrived in the mail!!!
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4314 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4314 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2018 :  2:03:06 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone! Popping in to join you all in the joys and sorrows of gardening! Plus hope to learn some new skills or tips! I have been experimenting growing organic for the last 2 years! First year was phenomenally blessed the second year, last year we had so much rain I lost m much to disease and pests. This year has started off super wet so I asked for some 'divine inspiration and bell's and we've been blessed with a whole week of upper 70's and 80' dry weather! I've been outside EVERYDAY working up the garden!marigolds are scattered through out the flower, herb and vegetable garden to help with pest control as are the planting of dill, lemongrass and thyme. I would love to try the mustard seed as well Sara M. Some of my flowers, zinnias, cosmos and marigolds are coming up voluntarily ALREADY!! I am so excited! I built a couple of mason bee houses to place in the garden also. I have so much to learn but have been doing a lot of research on the GOOD bugs and how to encourage them in the garden which will in turn keep the bad pests away! Its like building up my 'garden army' and so interesting! I can't wait to see how things grow this year!

Farmgirl #7703
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2018 :  2:11:15 PM  Show Profile
Diana so happy you found us and welcome. I know what you mean about the joys and sorrows of gardening that's why a gardeners favorite saying is "there's always next year". Gardens gives us hope, teaches us patience, we get to exercise our faith, and reap the rewards.

Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4314 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4314 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2018 :  2:14:04 PM  Show Profile
That is so true Sara! I've been thinking and researching and planning all winter! It was a great week to finally get things ready and some things planted! Thank you! I am happy to be here!

Farmgirl #7703
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

subfarmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

Sue
Brownsburg IN
USA
30 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2018 :  07:45:30 AM  Show Profile
We've had the plan for at least 6 months now to totally re-do our raised beds for this year to make them bigger and deeper. We're also almost finished building a compost bin too. We know we won't get finished compost in time to put in the beds this spring but we'd much rather save kitchen scraps, cardboard, newspapers, etc. for composting than putting them in the trash or recycling bin. We've had a lot of success in past years with starting seeds in our Aerogarden too. I hope to post some pictures soon of our progress!

~ Sue in Indiana
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2018 :  08:26:08 AM  Show Profile
Hi Sue, you have been busy. I don't know anything about Aerogarden so looking forward to learning about it.

Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4314 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4314 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2018 :  08:29:30 AM  Show Profile
SAME here Sue! Is this where they are suspended from above? I think o saw something like that when we went through epcot at Disney! :) looking forward to learning more!!!

Farmgirl #7703
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
Go to Top of Page

subfarmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

Sue
Brownsburg IN
USA
30 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2018 :  08:50:52 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Dianna and Sara! The Aerogarden is an indoor system that provides light, water, and food in a countertop-sized system. It's marketed mostly for growing herbs and lettuce indoors all year but we have used the one we received as a gift mostly for starting seeds. www.aerogarden.com

~ Sue in Indiana
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2018 :  09:13:17 AM  Show Profile
Dianna, weeee! So glad to see you here! I didn't know you were the mason bee type but I should have guessed it! I have the book, but haven't taken the plunge. Maybe next year...(wink)

Dianna, I'm guessing you live in hurricane territory, and that wet years happen every so often? Do you have any raised beds? That's the only method I can think of -- short of a greenhouse -- to combat extra wet weather. That, and planting a wide variety of heat-loving and damp-tolerant things so that, no matter what nature sends you, you still have some successes.

Here in NorCal we are hoping for a wet March, cuz we have some catching up to do to avoid another drought year.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2018 :  09:24:23 AM  Show Profile
Today I'll be sowing baby greens seeds in two containers on deck. Rain in forecast for tomorrow so should get seeds off to a good start.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2018 :  06:07:13 AM  Show Profile
The baby greens spouted yesterday so I'll be nibbling on them in a couple of weeks if I can keep those pesky squirrels away.

My sister gave me a couple of orange pansies. I put them in a pot yesterday and put on corner of deck railing so I can see from kitchen window. Washing dishes goes so much better when I have something pretty to look at. When we plan our gardens keep in mind the view from windows even if it's just a pot of pansies.

Go to Top of Page

naturemaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

2568 Posts

Connie - Farmgirl #673
Hoosick Falls NY
USA
2568 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2018 :  10:30:05 AM  Show Profile
The best time of year! I planted various lettuce/assorted greens seed in windows boxes on my patio and its now coming up, this is exciting stuff!

------------------------
Lil' Chefs Cookbook- Delicious Recipes for Toy Ovens - http://www.vintage-toy-ovens.com/

Vintage Sewing Machines, Original Parts & Related Book Titles - http://www.thriftyfarmgirl.com/

Handcrafted Artisan Soap https://www.etsy.com/shop/naturemaiden
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2018 :  12:23:05 PM  Show Profile
Connie, growing in containers lets us get a jump on the season. My baby greens are about 2" - won't be long now. The two containers sit right by my backdoor so I see them every time I go out and in.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Garden Gate: Previous Topic Gardens 2018 - Harvest - Fall Gardens Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page