Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Gardens 2018 - Harvest - Fall Gardens
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Gardens 2018 - Harvest - Fall Gardens Next Topic
Page: of 8

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2017 :  07:21:55 AM  Show Profile
I learned about kale chips just a few years ago! They are just about the tastiest way to eat kale. My planting (as usual) is bigger than it should be, but I hope to allow myself to pull up crowded plants and bake them into chips during the winter. I have to admit, I never understood the big kale fad. I think sometimes people jump on board something like that just cuz they think they should. Truthfully, kale makes me feel like I'm eating something healthy, but I don't really love the flavor. Best to toss it into the soup pot.
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2017 :  07:47:57 AM  Show Profile
I Googled collard greens enchiladas and came up with a couple of recipes. It sounds DEE liscious, but no way I could pull that off in my Mexican household. You don't mess with Mama's recipes! However, if I rolled it up in a lasagna noodle, now that would be acceptable! ;-)
Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2017 :  06:25:02 AM  Show Profile
Just hopping in, haven't read all of the previous conversations just skimmed :). I want to grow a big garden this year but I'm having trouble narrowing down what to try. I'm terrible at gardening but hubby is pretty good at it. We have apple, pear, and peach trees in our yard, along with a pecan tree and 3 black walnut trees. All of our trees need some TLC (probably fertilizer) and we need to clear out around the pecan tree so we can actually gather the nuts next year. The squirrels got them all this year. Oh we also have sandhill plums (wild plum tree with small fruit) and mulberry trees. I put in raspberries last year but hubby doesn't like where I put them so wants to dig them up and move them. I was offered some thornless blackberry cuttings as well. I have bulbs all over our property that someday I want to dig up and move, I definitely need to thin them but I'm probably going to wait on that. (This place was intentionally landscaped at one point but the previous owners ignored the gardens for 10 years). There are also grapevines that need TLC and one that needs to be put on an arbor of some sort.

We have vegetable garden beds we are going to expand. We are probably going to try the potato bucket method. And I want to put in a pollinator garden. Last year I planted gourds along the fenceline but they didn't do well so I'm going to plant those earlier this year. Oh and I want to plant sunflowers all along the edges of our property. Whew that sounds like a lot!!!

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275
February 2016 Farmgirl of the Month
http://kidscrunchandchrist.com

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6809 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6809 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2017 :  06:45:05 AM  Show Profile
Sabrina sounds like you found a wonderful place to garden. So many fruit & nut trees and bulbs. Have fun this winter planning your gardens and deciding what and where to plant. Looking forward to hear all about your progress.

November was warmer than usual so I have herbs that are still green and should be dormant by now. I don't know how they will be handling freezing weather due later this week. Even with covering them I maybe looking at replacing more plants next spring.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.
Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2017 :  07:44:10 AM  Show Profile
Sabrina that sounds like a paradise! How fun for you to have all that potential in place. And a partner to help shoulder the work!! You are doubly blessed!

My advice to you would be to start with some basics until you find your pace. Figure out what grows well in your climate, then repeat those next year. Once you have success at some "bones" to your garden you can begin to try more new things. I don't know how many times I started out on a spring day with a box full of new seeds, planting row after lovely row in the newly turned dirt, only to find, a week later, that the native weeds appreciated my efforts far more than the imported seeds I had sprinkled around. When that happens I usually can't keep up with the race and the weeds win.
Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2018 :  06:25:18 AM  Show Profile
Last year we did not plant in the big garden plot out back. And by big I mean BIG. It was just too much to keep up with working full time! I've discussed with DH and this year we are going to reduce the size by at least half, maybe down to 1/3rd of what it was.

My plans for that space this year are:

Rhubarb
Green Beans
Cucumbers
Zuchinni
Acorn Squash

On the deck this year I will do more cucumbers, bell peppers, green onions and parsley :)
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6809 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6809 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2018 :  06:34:26 AM  Show Profile
Jaime, great choice of vegetables for garden and on your deck.

Most of my herbs are on the deck right out my kitchen door. So handy when cooking or drying.

Today I placed another order of 6 herb plants with Mountain Valley Growers for spring shipping.

I have tried growing lavender many times without any luck. Our summers are just too hot. Found one today hardy to Zone 11. I'm in Zone 7B or 8 depending on the chart so I have high hopes for this one and just to add to the fun it's name is Sarah - how cool is that.

I also ordered angelica to use in Persian mix recipe Dawn gave me.

Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2018 :  06:59:03 AM  Show Profile
Jamie, it takes great discipline to limit your garden when you have unlimited space, but you will be so much happier! I always do the same thing, plant way too much area and the weeds out number me. I am trying to devise a new system which will be more practical but just as productive, since its just me taking care of the garden. Also, I see that there is an article in the new MJF issue about square-foot gardening.

Sara, I'm curious about how hot it gets where you are. We have dry, hot summers here, average temps in the 90's, up to 115 on occasion, and relatively low humidity. Lavender does perfectly fine, we even have lavender farms in the area. Are your plants in pots? What symptoms do they display before they die? Do they get any shade?
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6809 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6809 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2018 :  07:34:57 AM  Show Profile
Sara our summers average high 90s to 106 with high humidity. High temperatures starts in June and some years lasts till late Oct. I tried growing lavender in the ground once - rest of the times were in containers. The plants don't thrive and by mid-summer they wilt away. We have been in and out of droughts going on ten years. All my herbs/flowers get afternoon shade. Five o'clock sun here is brutal and hottest time of the day. Wind can also be a problem drying and blistering plants. I have very few days throughout the year without wind or a breeze.

The lavender plant I planted in the ground survived the summer but the below 20 degrees in the winter killed it even though I covered it.

Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2018 :  06:29:12 AM  Show Profile
I would love to grow lavender! But I suspect we don't have ideal growing conditions.

Anyone have any tips on growing rhubarb? I know it is a perennial and I won't get a crop for at least a year, maybe two. For that matter, I'd love to try and start a plot of asparagus too!
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6809 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6809 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2018 :  07:21:00 AM  Show Profile
Can't help you Jaime I haven't grown either. I do know around here most people grow them in raised beds.

Go to Top of Page

DesignsByJennMiller
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Jennifer
marlin Washington
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2018 :  5:33:00 PM  Show Profile
We have had such a mild winter that today I noticed that I have sunflowers coming up! I couldn't believe it, here in Eastern Washington we have long very cold winters normally.
so I really don't expect them to make it because it's bound to get really cold again soon. Made me happy to see them poking up though!

Jenn M.
FarmGirl Sisterhood #6804
https://www.etsy.com/shop/DesignsByJennMiller
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6809 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6809 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2018 :  10:50:10 PM  Show Profile
Jenn, sunflowers in Jan that would be a sight to see. Enjoy them while you have them.

We reached a low of 9 this week so I'll have to wait for spring to see what herbs made it or not. I bought my container rose in the house along with the wee bay tree that's been in since Oct. The rose is back out on the deck because we'll back into the 40s and by Sun the mid 60s. We still have more freezing weather coming. Most years Feb is our coldest month.

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2864 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2864 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2018 :  4:32:50 PM  Show Profile
This is my indoor garden in January. Lettuces, cresses, and kale. Keeps me happy. This is the Green Stalk, which I have in my south facing window. Has worked pretty well considering our super cold winter. Should be even better in the summer when I can put outdoors. There are cheaper versions, but this one is made in the USA, is BPA free and UV resistant and comes with a 5 yr warranty. No, I am not a paid spokesperson. LOL

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6809 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6809 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2018 :  04:33:07 AM  Show Profile
Lisa I want one for herbs on the deck. I'm running our of sunny spots as my neighbors trees grow larger. I don't have a place to winter it over in the house so it would just be for outside. I could plant just annual herbs and flowers so I wouldn't have to worry about wintering them over. It would be great for succession planting.

Did you buy it locally or on-line?

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6809 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6809 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2018 :  1:50:17 PM  Show Profile
January is winding down and Thursday is Feb 1. Can March 18 the last day of frost for my zone be too far behind? Before the first of March my goal is to clean and have all my containers ready for plants and a few seeds. I would also like to have some idea what is to be planted in each.

Do you know your zone's last day of frost?

Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2018 :  11:22:53 PM  Show Profile
Sara, I think my zone is the same as yours. I've never known a particular date, but being a farmer I am always aware of the weather and weather patterns in my neck of the woods. One year we had a freeze in mid April which burned all the tiny kiwi blossoms in our kiwi orchard! That was a disaster!

I always wait til the coast is clear to plant cold-sensitive plants because we enjoy such a long growing season. But there are a lot of things I can still plant in February through May to quench that gardening bug and satisfy my planting needs. I have a new puppy this year, and I'm really worried about how I'm going to keep him from destroying my garden, so I'm wondering what it will look like this year. But "order seeds" is on my to-do list for this week!

Can you believe it's almost February already?! This morning we woke up to the sound of helicopters applying copper spray to nearby peach orchards---a sure sign that buds are swelling and the first blooms are just around the corner! In two to three weeks the entire valley will be awash in white and pale-pink almond blooms, thousands of acres of them, all abuzz with busy, pollinating bees. And the cycle begins again...
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6809 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6809 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2018 :  04:39:35 AM  Show Profile
Sara, I can only imagine what it would be like to live surrounded by so much natural beauty.

I understand about keeping up with local weather. Here in Texas the weather can change sixty degrees in one day and thunderstorms can materialize out of a clear sky.

So far we have had a mild winter with only a few days of single digit temps. Will have to wait to see what Feb & Mar will bring.

Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2018 :  08:53:08 AM  Show Profile
I LOVE that kind of weather, because we don't get it here! Our forecast is pretty reliable, ten days out. Thunderstorms happen only once or twice a year and if you were in a store at that minute you might miss it! So I am a great fan of the idea of exciting weather ;-)

Today started out socked in with fog. The sun is coming up through the trees now and beginning to burn it off, revealing the fact that we had no alpacas in the pasture! So (as I'm typing to you) its throw on the jeans and barn boots and head north on foot to locate them. We just barely made out their silhouettes through the thinning fog, a quarter of a mile away in the freshly cut orchard grass I just mowed yesterday. I sure wish I had grabbed my phone with camera! What a picture, alpacas strolling in the mist!
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6809 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6809 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2018 :  09:00:38 AM  Show Profile
Sara a friend of mine used to raise and show llamas and when we were out for lunch in the summertime she would have to hurry home to give them more water and turn their fans on. What we go through to have animals.

That would have been quite a picture - maybe next time.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6809 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6809 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2018 :  11:26:09 AM  Show Profile
Last Oct I planted 24 yellow tulip bulbs in a large container and they have been on the south side of my house in the back yard. Today I checked and they are emerging so I moved them to the front yard where they will bloom. Hope is renewed for a better year when bulbs start to appear.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6809 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6809 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2018 :  08:07:28 AM  Show Profile
Yesterday I order a yellow rose from the Rose Emporium in Brennan, Texas. It's not a miniature rose but is suitable for containers which is what I need and want. I like it's name The Republic of Texas and it will be shipped after our last frost date in March.

This week I received The Rose Rustlers written by A&M professors. All about saving heirloom Texas roses. It has inspired me to grow heirloom yellow roses.

Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2018 :  9:05:01 PM  Show Profile
Today I sent out my garden seed order. It's not been this short in over 20 years! I'm being very practical this year with my time, as I have to prepare for a June wedding on the property. So I'm planning a small spring garden, and after 6\16 I can reassess and make a new garden plan if I want.

On the short list: Pole beans, beets, carrots, lettuce, kale, collards and lots of zinnias. Temps around here have been in the 70s and up to 80 this week. Everything is suddenly growing !
Go to Top of Page

OneRedZinnia
True Blue Farmgirl

529 Posts

Debbie
Goodrich Texas
USA
529 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2018 :  9:43:31 PM  Show Profile
I am in The Piney Woods of East Texas! Zone 8b here. Looking forward to April to begin planting. I am going to try planting in pots on my porch this year and hopefully I will see some results. I want to plant tomatoes and bell peppers, my favorites to grow. I have a full sun flower bed in the front of my bay window that I plan to turn into an herb garden. I am looking forward to getting some pretty flowers to plant in pots around my porch too! I lost a few pot plants with this weather even though they were covered. There is just something that makes digging in the dirt so therapeutic!

~ Deb ~
Farmgirl Sister #5585
“Taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the one who takes refuge in him.” Psalm 34:8
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6809 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6809 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2018 :  11:25:39 PM  Show Profile
Sara your short list sounds long to me. From what you have written about your place the wedding will be beautiful.

Deb I think you will like planting in containers - I do. Have fun planning and planting your herb garden.

I have ordered 12 herb plants to be shipped in late March and early April so I have been getting my containers ready and will need to buy a few more to have the correct size for each plant.

The heirloom yellow rose I ordered will have hips so I'm excited about that.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Garden Gate: Previous Topic Gardens 2018 - Harvest - Fall Gardens Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page