Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Gardens 2018 - Harvest - Fall Gardens
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Gardens 2018 - Harvest - Fall Gardens Next Topic
Page: of 8

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2017 :  06:35:46 AM  Show Profile
It's Nov 1 and I have waited as long as I could to start a thread about planning for next year's gardens. I have started my "wish" list of plants. Come ordering time I will have to get real and pare it down to what I can actually afford, but for now I am dreaming and adding plants.

Cretan Dittany - member of oregano family - medicinal & aromatic herb
Patchouli - medicinal & aromatic herb
Pennyroyal - member of mint family - insect repellant

I have grown pennyroyal before but not the other two. I like growing one or two new herbs each year.

I know it's early but what's on your next year's list?

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.
Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Edited by - YellowRose on Aug 18 2018 07:47:49 AM

1Anne
True Blue Farmgirl

99 Posts

Anne
Lebanon CT
USA
99 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2017 :  1:37:56 PM  Show Profile
For fun, I tried one fennel plant this year. I expected a nice bulb to devour, but alas, I chose the wrong fennel plant. The one I bought produces nice fronds but no bulb. So, I am collecting recipes for next year's garden dream - fennel bulbs galore!!!! :-) Anne

Yes, in God I trust.
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2017 :  1:42:18 PM  Show Profile
Sara, top of my next years list is a pile of seeds I bought this year and didn't get around to planting!
Sugar Ann bush peas
Bingo dry shelling beans
Lima beans

My youngest son is getting married at the middle of June, which is going to put a real damper on my spring gardening. But, since the reception will be held in the midst of our walnut orchard, I would love to make time to plant various flowers around for people to enjoy as they stroll through. I would stick with some classics, mostly zinnia, sunflowers and marigold. The trick will be getting them to bloom by then!
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2017 :  2:06:39 PM  Show Profile
Anne, I had one fennel plant when I had my three chickens and they loved the fronds so I gave the plant went to them. I've never eaten fennel but would like to try so I may add one plant to my list. That's how my list get's so long I want every plant I hear about or see.

Sara I know what you mean about left over seeds. When I used to start from seed I always over bought and never got around to getting it in the ground.

A wedding in your orchard will be beautiful. Have fun with the flowers.

Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2017 :  8:12:36 PM  Show Profile
For myself,

New sweet pepper varieties and an old favorite, Jupiter
French marigolds to reduce root nematodes in soil
different colored yarrow varieties
Hollyhocks
New (to me) tomato variety. A friend is sending me some black tomato seed, woohoo!

That's all I have for now, but my list grows longer and I just ordered seed catalogs, so...

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2017 :  11:57:11 PM  Show Profile
You have quite a list started.

I no longer grow from seed but there's nothing better than me in my rocker with a cup of hot tea and a stack of seed catalogues while the winter wind blows outside.

Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2017 :  09:32:41 AM  Show Profile
Boy, amen to that, Sara!!! Seeing all the bright colors when it's so drab out...sigh. I just planted a lot of poppies/wildflower/marigold seed yesterday. What I mean by that is, I walked around the yard and threw it on the ground. LOL. I have found that the healthiest plants in my garden are volunteers. I think I will listen to what God is telling me and take that cue on when to plant what. I had some monster tomatoes last year that just came up next to the chicken coop, and I haven't planted parsley in years because there is always some coming up somewhere. I love it!

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.blog
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2017 :  09:23:53 AM  Show Profile
MsDooLittle you are so right, those volunteers are the best blessing on a garden! I get volunteer tomatoes, squash, lettuce, lots of arugula and flowers. The volunteers have convinced me to purchase only open-pollinated varieties so that I know what a volunteer will produce if I keep it.

Here is another idea about nematodes. When we recently planted new walnut orchards we put down a cover crop of mustard and radish. After letting it grow to flower but not go to seed we chopped it and then disked it under. The decomposing plants emit a toxin which interrupts the life cycle of the nematode. I can't tell you how effective this was since a walnut tree has such a long life span, but it could be worth trying in a vegetable garden area in the off season.
Go to Top of Page

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2017 :  2:04:59 PM  Show Profile
Sara, you are too funny! I haven't given much thought about my next year garden dreams, but I am excited that I should get some asparagus and am hopeful it will be worth the wait (third year).

Jana

https://homemadewithhart.blogspot.com/
http://www.emhardt.com

https://www.etsy.com/shop/cjcraftsstudio

Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes. ~Author Unknown
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt! ~Charles Schulz
Go to Top of Page

KimmyC
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

Tempe AZ
30 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2017 :  07:57:25 AM  Show Profile
I love dreaming about next year's gardening - so much fun! One interesting thing I planted this year were Tree Collards. They do not grow from seed, rather you have to purchase cuttings and get them to root. They didn't get very large this summer, but Miss Deer may have been pruning them. I've circled the wagon with the fabric pots for the winter so the collards are going to be a bit harder for her to get to. I'll see come spring if they made it.
We are snowbirds so now I'm in Arizona and wondering what I might be able to plant down here. I'm new to gardening in this climate so will have to do a lot of research to know what I could even possibly plant that would mature before we leave for the season in late spring. I do love those fabric pots so I'm going to try planting something in them down here. I am really hoping that I can grow some carrots as that was my favorite crop from last summer. Home grown carrots taste so much better than the ones in the store!
I would like to incorporate more flowers into my garden next spring for a pop of color, but I have limited space with the container gardens so need some that won't get too tall and block the sunshine - the evergreen trees are doing enough of that! Or maybe I should dedicate a planter to flowers. Hmmm... I like that idea!

Farmgirl Sister #7479
If you can't bring the girl to the farm, bring the farm to the girl!

Edited by - KimmyC on Nov 07 2017 08:00:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2017 :  08:07:06 AM  Show Profile
Kimmy, I think there's a way to reach out to other farmgirls in Arizona on this forum, maybe even start a thread about growing in your state? To which state do you migrate for the summer?
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2017 :  08:23:49 AM  Show Profile
Kimmy, I haven't heard of collard trees. Where did you find the cuttings?

Google on-line nurseries that specialize in southwest desert seeds/plants. Many of the plants will be American Indian and Mexican heirlooms. Even if you don't order from them they are a great source for info. I use on-ling nurseries all the time for planting info.

Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2017 :  08:44:16 AM  Show Profile
Sara, I will look into the mustard/radish for nematodes. You can do the same with marigolds, apparently? Something funny; I could NEVER EVER get marigolds to grow. I just gave up on them. Then this spring, I threw out some wildflower seen and lo and behold, it had marigold seed in it. Now I have a zillion! I think that I was trying to grow African marigolds and these are French? Maybe that is the difference? Well, I just love them! They reseed freely and are just such happy little plants!!!

Kimmy, I looked up tree collards, and now I would love some!!! I got a cutting of non-seeding basil from a friend, and it is the exact same thing. You pass down cuttings. It is ah-mazing. As far as gardening, in addition to what Sara suggested, you can also look up Arizona's Agricultural Extension office and they usually have good suggestions on what/when to plant.

Sara (YellowRose), I do that, too. I try to find places or comments that are in my USDA Zone and also preferably have the crazy heat/humidity like we do, too. That helps me decide whether or not I want to invest in a certain plant or seed!

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.blog
Go to Top of Page

KimmyC
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

Tempe AZ
30 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2017 :  10:22:15 AM  Show Profile
YellowRose - I bought my tree collard cuttings from BountifulGardens.org. A tip for you - the instructions say to cut off a portion of the stem. I took those cuttings, gave them a fresh cut on the bottom end, dipped them in rooting hormone and planted them as well. It worked!!! So now I will get extra collards from that one order. More to feed Miss Deer. haha!
saram and msdoolittle - Thanks for the tips on getting started with the AZ gardening research. I just planted some of the garlic that I ordered from MaryJane's gardening section. The order was so large that I planted most in Seattle, but brought three clusters down here and put them in a pot. I'm not sure what will happen, but what the hey. :)

Farmgirl Sister #7479
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2017 :  10:53:04 AM  Show Profile
Kimmy I checked the site out and ordered the collard tree. Thanks for telling us about it. I like to try new plants. I will plant in containers and put on deck outside my kitchen door. Perfect for winter harvest. Since you shared about planting what you cut off I will have a couple of cuttings to share with sisters if they want to give it a try too.

Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2017 :  1:17:02 PM  Show Profile
How funny! I just read about tree collards this past week for the first time, looking for good ways to cook collards!
I just discovered the greens last year and I love them! I can NOT grow spinach here, it always bolts on me. But collards go crazy and I get greens all winter.
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2017 :  1:17:37 PM  Show Profile
feel free to share collard recipes....
Go to Top of Page

KimmyC
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

Tempe AZ
30 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2017 :  2:16:02 PM  Show Profile
OK, I couldn't take it any more - I ordered another set for down here! :) Last winter we had a sudden cold snap that got mine just a couple of weeks after I planted them so I lost them. The set that I plated up in Seattle is holding its own so far. :)
The only thing I've ever done with collards is to put hamhocks in a large pot with the collards and simmer away for a few hours. I will have to look into more creative recipes, I think! :)

Farmgirl Sister #7479

Edited by - KimmyC on Nov 07 2017 2:24:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2017 :  2:38:40 PM  Show Profile
I dry collards as well as mustard, turnip greens and kale to use in soups. I like the convenience of dried greens but they can be used fresh in soup too.

If you want to go vegetarian cook collards with olive oil, garlic, s&p, and herb/spice of choice. I like cumin & nutmeg with greens. I also like my greens well cooked without stems. Before eating I sprinkle on vinegar hot pepper sauce on my greens.

And last you gotta have cornbread, potatoes, and pinto beans with your greens. That's how we eat them in Texas.

Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2017 :  8:02:54 PM  Show Profile
Oh YellowRose Sara, if you DO get some started, I would love the tree collards! I'll pay shipping. :)

Yes, I love collards as y'all have said. I do bacon in mine and then some Louisiana hot sauce and a bit of sugar and a dash of vinegar, with S&P, of course. Cornbread is not optional. Ha!

I am pretty sure you can use collards anywhere you use kale. There is an article in the new Southern Living about just that. The poor collards get overlooked, but they are still very nutritious. If I get enough, I'll dry some, too! I always forget about drying even though I have a ridiculously expensive dehydrator. I should have gotten a smaller one. :( Oh well, hindsight and all of that...

a

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.blog
Go to Top of Page

KimmyC
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

Tempe AZ
30 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2017 :  8:08:45 PM  Show Profile
Oooh, I love the idea of dehydrating the greens! One of these days I guess I'll have to get a dehydrator. And yes, cornbread is a must have!

Farmgirl Sister #7479
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2017 :  12:54:59 PM  Show Profile
You all, you don't know how valuable that input is to me. Collards just aren't part of a Western menu, and I have to glean information from the heart of our country to know how to really appreciate them! I do see them very much like kale, although I'm not sure about chopping up raw in a salad? And I love the fact that other dishes are automatically connected to them! Thank you, I will be sure not to break with tradition, and serve cornbread alongside!
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2017 :  12:58:51 PM  Show Profile
Today I received my Botanical Interests seed catalog and guess what they have on page 16. Can't guess. Give up? It's a recipe for collard greens enchiladas and it looks really good. It's too much for me to type and post so if you want a copy e-mail me your address and I'll send it by USPS.

Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2017 :  1:34:07 PM  Show Profile
Yum!!!! that sounds soooo good. :D

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.blog
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2017 :  1:38:09 PM  Show Profile
saram, I am kinda meh about kale but I do enjoy crispy kale chips and baby kale in a salad. Collards are pretty thick, too, when they are fully grown. I think my favorites are turnip greens, but collards would be a close second! I saute my collards/greens plus onions until wilted in some bacon grease and then season as I like and add enough broth or stock to where they can happily simmer without burning. They are SO GOOD straight out of the pot and I eat them so fast I usually burn my mouth. HA. I even have a magnet that says "Eat More Greens". :D

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.blog
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2017 :  05:12:21 AM  Show Profile
My wish list for 2018 is growing - growing - growing.

Added the collard tree - ordered.

I like getting the Botanical Interests seed catalog so I order something from it. I really don't like starting from seed anymore but I make an exception for it. Will order this week so poppy and hollyhock can be planted now.

All of the following will be planted in containers except the hollyhocks which will go into the ground.

Bread Seed Poppy -
Outhouse Hollyhocks - I grew these at my other house
Chervil - cooking herb
Sorrel - want to try sorrel soup
Baby Mustard Greens - a collection of different mustards
Baby Super Foods Greens - a collection of healthy greens

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Garden Gate: Previous Topic Gardens 2018 - Harvest - Fall Gardens Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page