True Blue Farmgirl

117 Posts

Nikki
Carthage MO
USA
117 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2017 :  7:32:16 PM  Show Profile
Ok FarmGirls.....

I am not the greatest at sewing, so I've been practicing by making easy strip rag quilts. Well, that's the title of the pattern, but they are anything but easy!

It seems that the only way for me to make a rag quilt is with the flannel nursery fabric. It frays the best to make the rag quilt look correct.

Well I've got a ton of regular calico/cotton fabric I'd like to use to make a blanket of some sort.

Every pattern I find has super complicated directions when it comes to the batting. I know that's a super important part of a quilt, the batting....but....

Do any of you lovely ladies have any go to, beginner, quilting patterns that either don't involve batting, can use calico fabric, something I can make in 1 evening so I feel accomplished?

I hope this makes sense to everyone. I need a few projects that are quick turn arounds. My usual crochet projects take so long to complete. I'm sorta in a funk right now and need to feel like I can actually accomplish something.

Thanks ladies.

God Bless from the Midwest Nikki H. #5131
Wife, Mother, Soldier

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9242 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9242 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2017 :  3:11:53 PM  Show Profile
Have you ever seen any of Georgia Bonesteel's lap quilt book. Pretty sure you can find them on Amazon.com or even www.thriftbooks.com

~Denise~
Farmgirl Sister #43

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
http://www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2017 :  5:14:12 PM  Show Profile
Eleanor Burns BEST beginning start to finish.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

GGBQuilter
True Blue Farmgirl

60 Posts

60 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2018 :  6:15:14 PM  Show Profile
Greetings: I would also recommend Eleanor Burns! I actually had an opportunity to meet Eleanor and tour her studio in CA! Missouri Star Quilts is another good resource and videos are available for most patterns. Good luck.

GGBQuilter
Farmgirl #7534
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2018 :  10:59:46 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Nikki - I have the Georgia Bonesteel books and would be happy to sell them to you for a very reasonable price. They include the patterns, too. She teaches you one of the quilt-as-you-go methods.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month April 2017
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
Sharpshooter/Schoolmarm

764 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
764 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2018 :  08:56:07 AM  Show Profile
Nikki, I hear you! Sometimes you just want a project that can be done in a relatively short time and feel like you've accomplished something! And it's nice to shake things up a bit and work on something different for awhile. I agree that Eleanor Burns is GREAT for learning how to quilt and her books are well written and directions easy to follow. Don't be afraid of batting...haha! Another option would be to send your top to a machine quilter to finish it for you and you wouldn't have to deal with the batting and layering?

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl of the Year

"Well behaved women seldom make history"....Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Quilting Help! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page