Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Outpost
 Kind of a dumb question about RVs...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Outpost: Previous Topic Kind of a dumb question about RVs... Next Topic  

RachelLeigh
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Rachel
Rainier WA
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2017 :  5:41:56 PM  Show Profile
...but I'm going to ask it anyway.

My husband and I are RV dreamin'. We went to Mt. Rainier National Park over the weekend, which is a regular place for us, and we were following a B-Class RV out of the park and we started talking about how nice it would be to have one. Since then, we've visited a few RV dealers and really like the C-Class RVs that are around 24-26 feet long. My dumb question - is it hard to learn to drive one? About 7 years ago, we briefly owned a 17 foot camper from the 1970s that we were going to restore...before we realized that we could barely move it three feet, let alone tow it down the road so we sold it.

I'm TERRRRRRRIBLE at backing up, even in my car. I have a brand new Ford Mustang (named Luna) and have already had to have the paint on her bumper fixed because I backed into our fence when turning around. My husband isn't much better or confident, and I'm afraid we'd be terrible at driving a big 'ol RV. I want to get one, but not if it sits in our yard all the time because we're too scared to take it for a spin!

Farmgirl Sister #127
My blog: http://14thandoak.com

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1019 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1019 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2017 :  8:03:59 PM  Show Profile
Hi Rachel,

I have no idea how to answer your question so I asked an expert about everything according to his own mind.

Hubby told me his uncle didn't like backing up so he had a hitch put on the front of his truck too.

He would back up until he was comfortable then unhook his truck from the rig, turn his truck around hook it up to the front of his truck and fine tune his parking moving forward where he could see better.

Hubby also said it is like anything, practice, practice, practice. Hope this helps.

TW

The fun begins where the pavement ends!
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4714 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4714 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2017 :  05:28:40 AM  Show Profile
Perhaps you could rent one to see how it goes before investing in buying one of your own. I'm right up there with you when it comes to being nervous about backing up. I don't have depth perception or peripheral vision, making driving challenging enough when moving forward!

Best of luck on having your dream come true!
Dawn in IL

Life is like a novel, every day is a new page......
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6680 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6680 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2017 :  11:25:38 AM  Show Profile
Rachel, I agree with renting one and giving it a test run. Do you have any family or friends that are good at backing up or driving an RV? Maybe they could teach you how to drive it or show you some tricks. Good luck with your RV search!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2017 :  6:45:57 PM  Show Profile
It seems to me in one of the Mary Jane's books was a chapter on how to back up a trailer much harder than an RV but still would help I think?
Any one remember which book this was in?

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

RachelLeigh
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Rachel
Rainier WA
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2017 :  7:31:39 PM  Show Profile
It hadn't even occurred to me to rent one first, so thank you for the suggestions!!!

Diana, I'll look in her Glamping book - I imagine it's there somewhere!

Farmgirl Sister #127
My blog: http://14thandoak.com
Go to Top of Page

Cissik
True Blue Farmgirl

578 Posts

Sylvia
Kent WA
USA
578 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2017 :  2:00:53 PM  Show Profile
I totally agree. Rent one and see how it works for you. I love ours, it's a Class A, diesel pusher. Practice driving one before purchase.

Sylvia
Kent, WA
Farm Girl #5389
Back Door Farm Girls Chapter
http://vintagehousegoods.blogspot.com
http://etsy.com/shop/Vintagehousegoods
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2017 :  07:47:22 AM  Show Profile
Rachel, I know you have your Class C now, but a backup camera is soooo nice. I am sure you can retrofit your RV if it didn't come with one installed. Have fun!

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page
  Outpost: Previous Topic Kind of a dumb question about RVs... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page