Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Ladies, please check your wires!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Ladies, please check your wires! Next Topic  

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

2283 Posts

Julie
Medina ND
USA
2283 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2017 :  09:10:48 AM  Show Profile
Hmmm, bet that made plenty of you curious, didn't it. This is just a public service announcement.

It is very windy here today and on my way out to do my morning chicken chores and my daily walk around the farm yard to make everything is as it should be, I kept hearing a popping sound and every once in awhile a crackling. I finally looked up towards the top of the garage and the 2 electric wires coming off the pole were getting tangled in a tree I had planted close to there. The branches had grown just enough, that when the wind blew the right way it would hit them and sparks were flying everywhere. Fortunately my husband was over at the other farm and was able to come home right away, shut the main power off and cut down the tree. So happy my garage didn't go up in flames. We are replacing it this fall, but I would hate to loose my quad and lawn mower that I park in it, and as dry as it is here any fires could spread really fast. So please double check your trees that are too close to those electric lines. I had never thought about it until this happened and now I will be on the look out.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado

Edited by - treelady on Sep 19 2017 09:11:19 AM

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2017 :  09:25:26 AM  Show Profile
Julie this is a timely message for all of us. A couple of years ago Paris had an ice storm that took down branches and trees. The large pine tree next door lost a large limb and took down the transformer next to it. We were without power from Tues morning to Friday night in 19 degree weather. The tree still stands and wires still run through the branches and we are still in danger of losing power in an ice or wind storm. The house is a rental and the owner has no interest in cutting the tree down or trimming the branches.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.
Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6447 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6447 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2017 :  09:32:14 AM  Show Profile
It is a good thing you do your walk about every morning Julie or you are right it could have been really bad!
More work for Keith but important, happy all is well now.

Hugs,
Deb
Blessed in Colorado

FGOTM, Septembe, 2012

"You must do the thing you think you can not do." Eleanor Roosevelt

Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings We simply continue to fly on our Broomsticks. We're flexible like that!

http://shopus.longaberger.com/mountainwingslongabergerbaskets
http://myworld.ebay.com/debbt
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2017 :  10:13:12 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
LOL! Good advice. However, when I first saw the title of the post, I wondered if you meant UnderWires. LOL!

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month April 2017
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6699 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6699 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2017 :  10:25:16 AM  Show Profile
Oh Linda, so did I! Lol. I was worried something was now wrong with our bras. I'm glad you were able to get it fixed and avoided a fire. It's a good thing you do your walk around.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13568 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13568 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2017 :  08:49:47 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Julie! Having been through a horrific fire that destroyed our house and trees around it . . . well, it WAS HORRIFIC!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2017 :  10:25:21 PM  Show Profile
Fire is nothing to fool with. I've been praying for all of you experiencing drought. I am very glad you are all safe.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Ladies, please check your wires! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page