YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2017 :  08:41:44 AM  Show Profile
Each year I keep records of what I buy; where; cost; when planted; and notes on the plant. Except for this year. I kept no records or invoices. Don't know where my mind was in the spring. I did manage to put labels with each plant to tell me whether it needed dry or moist soil. Helps with the watering.

This morning I harvested my Mexican oregano for the last time this season. This was the first year I grew it and can't remember if it is an annul or perennial and where I bought it. Will have to look up each on-line nursery I order from to find out who sells Mexican oregano.

Lesson learned. Next year I will keep records of everything I buy and do. My old records came in handy when I wanted to know when I planted tulip bulbs in a container to bloom in the spring. Went back to 2015 and found I planted them in Oct. Garden records are important.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.
Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

farmgirl68
True Blue Farmgirl

369 Posts

Katie
Bangor Pennsylvania
USA
369 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2017 :  09:46:08 AM  Show Profile
Yes they are Sara. I find them the most difficult thing to manage in gardening :-)

Katie #7422
Friends are the flowers that bloom in life's garden.
Go to Top of Page

1Anne
True Blue Farmgirl

99 Posts

Anne
Lebanon CT
USA
99 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2017 :  12:39:00 PM  Show Profile
I also keep records with hand-drawn diagrams of what was planted when - it helps my memory for crop rotation. My garden is small but my last memo to myself for this year will be: Downsize!!! :-) Anne

Yes, in God I trust.
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4714 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4714 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2017 :  1:27:10 PM  Show Profile
I also keep a yearly log with photos of my successes and not so good plants. It really helps me out the next spring. I have a tendency to forget the plants that didn't work out for me. I used to draw diagrams, but my art skills are greatly lacking. The pictures not only help me remember where things are, but also what spaces need filling in.

Dawn in IL

Life is like a novel, every day is a new page......
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2017 :  2:20:36 PM  Show Profile
Katie - lol- I know what you mean about having a hard time keeping up with the records.

Anne, like you I used to draw diagrams but now that I garden mainly in containers I don't. The few perennials in the ground I do note location in their folder.

Dawn taking pictures is a great idea.

When school supplies go on sale I stock up on those color folders and have one for each plant. This winter I need to go through my garden file and pull out all the old folders I know for certain I will never grow again - ever.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.
Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6680 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6680 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2017 :  10:47:27 AM  Show Profile
Sara, this is a great idea. I actually never thought of documenting anything. I was just attempting to store it all in my brain, but with this being my second year I can already see that's not going to work. The green beans I had last year grew wonderfully, but all my green beans from this year died. I wish I could remember the difference in them so I can get the same as last year for next year. Next years garden with definitely involve some documentation.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

farmgirl68
True Blue Farmgirl

369 Posts

Katie
Bangor Pennsylvania
USA
369 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2017 :  06:28:03 AM  Show Profile
Some great ideas!

Katie #7422
Friends are the flowers that bloom in life's garden.
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2017 :  09:36:14 AM  Show Profile
I began keeping a garden journal in 1994 to try to track the productivity of my vegetable garden. I write in it rather sporadically, but in general I log how many plants of each item I put in, what variety it is, how well they germinate/grow/produce. I also make a page or two each year for logging how much I put up for the winter. The original idea was to determine just what I needed in order to feed my family from the garden year round. But it has also turned into a journal of life on the farm, and it now holds a very high position on the list of items to grab in the case of an evacuation.

Krista, I also hang onto the packing slip that comes with my yearly shipment of garden seeds. That helps to remember which varieties were tried that year. It could be taped into a garden journal.

Sara

Edited by - saram on Oct 21 2017 09:37:27 AM
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2017 :  9:31:16 PM  Show Profile
I have kept a small journal for nine years. It documents plant location, variety, and how it produced, as well as environmental factors. I know when we had a drought year, a very wet year, when the cabbage loopers strike, etc. I also draw small diagrams for my ornamental beds so I can remember what varieties I planted and where I got them.

Mine is pretty sporadically kept, but the information is invaluable! Here's something funny that happened, though: Many years ago, I planted a 'Juliet' tomato. The plant grew to be HUGE, almost 8 feet in diameter by the end of the season, but it produced one crappy (tasteless) tomato! I swore off 'Juliet' forever. Then, my mother gave me a transplant this spring that was grown by a co-worker. This tomato was AMAZING...hundreds of Roma-type tomatoes producing right up until August! I had to find out the variety and I was stunned to find it was a 'Juliet'! So, lesson learned: Don't write off a variety until you have tried it from a reputable source. My first Juliet was purchased as a transplant from a local plant farm, and it is very possible that the tomato wasn't a Juliet at all!

Now I'll have to go back and amend my notes.

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Garden Records Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page