Lady in Pearls
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Ashley
Texas
USA
105 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2017 :  06:52:31 AM  Show Profile
I'm making an effort to grow more flowers in my garden for pollinator forage (and beauty ),but I still want them to "produce" something, so I'm trying to grow "breadseed poppies."

Has anyone grown these? Are there any special considerations I should make?

I live in zone 9b with heavy clay soil. I planted the seeds in a bed that has been amended with compost fairly often. Almost all of my plants and herbs drowned in Hurricane Harvey, so I'm branching out, trying new things!

Our growing season starts September 1st in the Deep South, because May to August is too hot for most food-producing plants and flowers, so don't worry about them being planted too late

Also, for any beginner farmgirls out there (especially city-dwellers), I'm doing a full autumn series of updates, garden crafts, tips, and documentation of our own garden (failures and all, haha!) on my blog's YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdacRcVlhg7BaT-1LmoybSQ

Hope to hear from everyone! Thanks in advance for any tips!

“If more of us valued good food and cheer above hoards of gold, it would be a merrier world." - Tolkien

www.tinybirdsnest.com

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2017 :  09:55:04 AM  Show Profile
Ashley, I'm sorry to hear about your drowned garden. We sure are proud of our Texans in the face of difficult times! Makes me want to be one!

Hopefully that doesn't happen to you too often!

Sara
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2017 :  9:17:57 PM  Show Profile
I have not grown that particular variety, however, I have grown corn poppies and California poppies. For whatever reason, the corn poppies did not reseed and I have not had any in two years. :( I'm replanting them this year, though. Poppies are beautiful!

Grateful for east Texas climate!!! We are fortunate enough to be able to grow food year-round. Just planted more in the fall garden and I'll finish up this week.

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Lady in Pearls
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Ashley
Texas
USA
105 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2017 :  9:36:05 PM  Show Profile
Thank y’all for your kind words! Yes, it is nice to have our long growing seasons! I’m having pest issues right now though, silly whitefly and our puppy keep ruining my cucumbers and squash! The poppies aren’t doing great in our soil, so I’m going to try them in containers.

“If more of us valued good food and cheer above hoards of gold, it would be a merrier world." - Tolkien

www.tinybirdsnest.com
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2017 :  07:32:39 AM  Show Profile
Yeah, clay is tough! I live on a sand hill, but the base is red clay and rocks. I have to add lots of topsoil/compost/etc to the sand to make it work, but at least it drains well. Right now all I have are aphids on my milkweed. I'll blast them off with some water occasionally. I also love insecticidal soap. Yeah puppies aren't good for squash. Lol! One year I had turkeys eat every single leaf off of my watermelon vines. It's always something! Good luck on the poppies!

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Has anyone grown these? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page