Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Liquid vs. Solid Fats for Frying - Crazy!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Liquid vs. Solid Fats for Frying - Crazy!!! Next Topic  

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2017 :  12:39:44 PM  Show Profile
So I recently listened to a podcast that got me researching the surprising info to be found about what it really means to fry our foods in liquid oils (i.e. vegetable, canola, peanut, etc.)

One quote from the following article:

"He explained that fastfood chains including McDonald’s, Burger King, and Wendy’s have swapped out hydrogenated oils and started using regular vegetable oil instead. “As those oils are heated, you’re creating toxic oxidative breakdown products,” he said. “One of those products is a compound called an aldehyde, which interferes with DNA. Another is formaldehyde, which is extremely toxic.”"

https://www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/know-your-fats/the-big-fat-surprise-toxic-heated-oils/

I know there has been a LOT of bad press for fat and especially saturated fat over the years and I don't intend to deep fry every meal. BUT I can't help but wonder about how often opinions on what is healthy vs. bad for you ping pong in this country. AND how much the businesses invested in vegetable oil, etc. had to do with the bad press on tallow/lard in the first place!!!

My gut tells me, that in moderation, the old ways are best.

I've decided that I am going in search of suet, etc. and I'm going to render my own lard and tallow for use at home.

It will definitely taste better!

Has anyone else rendered their own before? What has been your experience with storing it long term? I'm reading that it will keep on counter for a while, but much longer in fridge or freezer.

Do you ever use it in baked goods in place of where recipes these days would call for Crisco? I know that lard works well in pie crusts, but not sure about other recipes.

SusanScarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

317 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2017 :  12:13:00 PM  Show Profile
I render lard when we order 1/2 a hog from the butcher. The butcher grinds the fat for me. I put it in my crockpot on low and scoop it out as it melts. I strain it through a very fine mesh strainer into jelly jar canning jars. The key is very low heat to melt and do not let it brown. When it re-solidifies it should be completely white. I keep in the extra refrigerator in my garage and it lasts a long time. I hope this helps.
Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

626 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
626 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2017 :  06:52:16 AM  Show Profile
I have friends who make their own tallow, and share it with me. A little goes a long way for things like coating a pan for eggs. It does last quite a while in the freezer, and it's very inexpensive to make.

Sometimes it really is crazy to think about the ping-pong of health experts. Margarine used to be lauded over butter. Whole eggs used to be bad for your health. A high carb diet was recommended by experts not that long ago. I'm sure they thought they knew everything about food in the 70's. It makes you wonder what will we know 20 years from now? Maybe not that much more. Maybe it's "unknowing" that is required. Maybe we'll be back to the basics of natural and organic eating. We can hope!

Erin
Sister #3762
Farmgirl of the Month ~ March 2016
Go to Top of Page

Farmhousepantry
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

candy
Oquawka Illinois
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2017 :  06:58:31 AM  Show Profile
I render tallow and even made candles from the tallow. All works wonderful and is very easy to make. and use. Plus we think it is healthier and plus it is free from when we butcher. Part of living on the farm and not wasting anything.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Liquid vs. Solid Fats for Frying - Crazy!!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page