Printer Friendly
Author Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic Oxymels Next Topic  

nnfolkways
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

USA
25 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2017 :  1:52:17 PM  Show Profile
Oxymels are herbal products made with vinegar and honey. Today I made a tulsi oxymel and while it has not sit long enough to use, it is already super yummy. I tend to use them on salads or added to water on a hot day. It is a wonderful way to preserve medicinal plants. Tulsi specifically is an adaptogenic herb.
Do any of y'all make oxymels? If so, what are your favorites and how do you use them?

How cunningly nature hides every wrinkle of her inconceivable antiquity under roses and violets and morning dew.
– Ralph Waldo Emerson

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2017 :  6:10:46 PM  Show Profile
Sounds interesting. I don't make it and really don't know what it is. I did make some plantain salve this spring. that works wonders on bug bites and dry areas on skin. I hope to make up some oils using jewelweed. My middle son, got poison ivy, and none of us had ever had it. so he went way to long before finally going to doctor. The he heard of using the jewel weed, and it has really helped him. There is so much to learn out there. Weeds are surprising how they can heal. Sorry off topic. I will search oxymels to learn more about it.

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2017 :  6:22:46 PM  Show Profile
wow interesting. Do you use any specific herbs? I see it can help respiratory infections. I do make my own apple cider vinegar. I don't know the acid content, but it sure smells like vinegar.

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

nnfolkways
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

USA
25 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2017 :  07:27:19 AM  Show Profile
You can use any herbs. The culinary herbs work well as oxymel. Mineral rich plants like nettle also do well in vinegar based preps. My personal poison ivy concoction is plantain and jewelweed infused in vinegar. The vinegar will help dry up the rash and the plantain and jewelweed will soothe and reduce itching. Just remember to omit the honey.

How cunningly nature hides every wrinkle of her inconceivable antiquity under roses and violets and morning dew.
– Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page
  Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic Oxymels Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page