Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Shrubs Anyone? Next Topic  

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2864 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2864 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2017 :  07:43:02 AM  Show Profile
And no, this isn't meant to go in the garden section. Just learned of this refreshing drink, and I am going to try for sure!
It is one part fruit(I am going to try blueberries), one part apple cider vinegar (with the mother of course), and one part sweetener, like honey or a good organic sugar. Mash the fruit in a mason jar, add the rest of the ingredients, give it a good shake, and let sit for a few days. Then strain, and add the juice back to the mason jar. To make the drink, use a tablespoon or two of the concentrate added to sparkling water or even just plain water.
Here is a good video describing. This is from the channel "Off Grid with Doug and Stacy" I just love their channel, and they are truly off grid. NO solar or wind etc. Charge their computers in their truck LOL. And the room they are in for the video is their outdoor kitchen. I love it! It is not complete, but when it is, it will even have a sleeping area like the old sleeping porches back in the days. Anyway, I digress, here is the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSQGtq9qB7M
And go get your shrub on!

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2017 :  09:08:53 AM  Show Profile
Lisa, they are refreshing. I didn't watch the video - my laptop is too slow and the sound is messed up so I don't know if it told about pasteurizing. In my book Fermenting for Beginners it tells how to do it. Below is how to:

If you have room to store vinegars and shrubs in the refrigerator there is no need to pasteurize them. But if you would like to bottle them and keep them in a cupboard or pantry you may want to pasteurize them.

To pasteurize vinegars and shrubs.

1. Heat them gently to 180F over low heat.
2. Pour the vinegar through a funnel into bottles.
3. Cap tightly.
4. Store in a pantry or cupboard away from direct sunlight.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.
Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

farmgirl68
True Blue Farmgirl

369 Posts

Katie
Bangor Pennsylvania
USA
369 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2017 :  4:23:26 PM  Show Profile
Lisa, this sounds fantastic, I will be trying this soon!

Katie #7422
Friends are the flowers that bloom in life's garden.
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2864 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2864 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2017 :  7:41:14 PM  Show Profile
I can't wait to try. Been so busy with work, it has interfered with my homesteading activities. LOL!
I don't think I will pasteurize Sara, I like all of the fermented creepy crawly probiotics. Knock on wood!

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.
Go to Top of Page

farmgirl68
True Blue Farmgirl

369 Posts

Katie
Bangor Pennsylvania
USA
369 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2017 :  06:19:19 AM  Show Profile
I was going to ask if you were supposed to pasteurize the raw ACV. Must you refrigerate it after opening? I never did.

Katie #7422
Friends are the flowers that bloom in life's garden.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2017 :  06:33:09 AM  Show Profile
Lisa, you're right about to drink it for it's benefits it shouldn't be pasteurized but for those who just drink it because they like it they may want to make a large batch and pasteurized.

"fermented creepy crawly probiotics" I'm never look at my fermenting the same ever again.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.
Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Shrubs Anyone? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page