Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Holidays
 Third Annual Farmgirl Apple Festival at MJF!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Holidays: Previous Topic Third Annual Farmgirl Apple Festival at MJF!! Next Topic  

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6525 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6525 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2017 :  11:36:23 AM  Show Profile
Hey Farmgirls~ Today is August 20th and I wanted to remind everyone that come September 1, we still start celebrating our Third Annual Farmgirl Apple Festival!! For those of you who are new here to our Chatroom community, we started this tradition in 2014 to kick off and celebrate Fall.

I will be sponsoring an Apple Swap so please sigh up if you are interested.

I will be sponsoring an Apple theme Give Away so please sign up for that as well if you are interested.

Don't forget, we have an Apple Badge that you can work on this next month as well. It includes lots of fun activities to get you learning and enjoying this beloved and favorite fruit.

The past two years, we have been sharing information about lots of varieties of apples from our various regions of the US and Canada. We also share lots of yummy recipes, tidbits and photos of our areas and families. The fun part of learning more about apples is that you learn more about our American history. Apples that could be eaten, cooked and preserved came from Europe by early settlers and and fur traders. The only original apples here in America were astringent crab apples that even the Indians could not find useful.

The real origin of apples comes from the Tian Shan mountains of Kazakhstan in the temperate western foothills. The Silk Road that went from Rome to Xi'an in China , was the route traveled for trading purposes to acquire things like spices. Apples were discovered by both the horses and the traders making the journey and were brought back to Rome where they became very popular. The Romans then spread them to Europe where they flourished as well.

Apples don't really grow well from seeds. To create trees of eatible apples, they must be grafted. In the early 1700s, the American colonists learned this skill and began to establish nurseries of grafted trees. The Apple Revolution began and soon people were all planting apple trees on their farms as a basic food source to make cider and fruit that could be eaten, cooked, preserved and stored for long winter months.

Thomas Jefferson planted large groves of apple trees at Monticello and concentrated on both eating and cider making varieties. The Newtown Pippin was one of the most popular variety from his orchards.

The legendary Johnny Appleseed, was really a man by the name of John Chapman who was an itinerant minister. He preached to small crowds as well as set up seedling nurseries throughout the Ohio Valley and the Midwest from the 1790s-1830s. Apples were a way of life!!

There is so much more about apples so please share here what you know and have experienced.

One more important note: Sunday September 24 will be our traditional Apple Pie Sunday Celebration!! Mark your calendars and think about what sort of apple pie recipe you would like to make this year. Be sure to share with us your ideas and tried and true apple pie favorites!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9247 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9247 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2017 :  3:44:38 PM  Show Profile
Looking forward to this Winnie!

~Denise~
Farmgirl Sister #43

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
http://www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6816 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6816 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2017 :  3:55:45 PM  Show Profile
Winnie, I'm all set for this year's festival. Last year Linda 'Quiltee' gifted me a apron made from a vintage tablecloth with apples on it. Betty, my sister, gave me a table runner and place mats with apples on them. Now all I have to do is decide on apple pie recipe for Apple Pie Sunday. It's fun planning for a special event and talking about it. Thanks for keeping our annual Apple Festival going.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.
Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6525 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6525 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2017 :  12:08:43 PM  Show Profile
How fun Sara, that you have an apple apron and table linens to use this year in September!! I know you also love savory things and was wondering if you ever made an apple chutney? It is delicious on pork chops and chicken or turkey. The ones I have had contained both apples and raisins in the ingredients. It is also delicious to use on a sandwich with chicken , turkey or ham.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2017 :  8:10:58 PM  Show Profile
Winnie, I'm geared up and rarin' to go. This week our fair starts and there are many Apple related activities. I'd love to be in the swap and whatever else. Who said apples are only for the teacher.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6525 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6525 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2017 :  10:39:02 AM  Show Profile
Wow, Bonnie, I know your upcoming fair is going to be lots of fun and I would love to see all of the apple festivities that are planned. Maybe some Honeycrisp apples will be ripe and available for purchase too! They are delicious. If you wish to sign up for the apple swap of the apple giveaway, just look for the link on the Chatroom and sign up. The more the merrier, I say!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6705 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6705 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2017 :  10:42:07 AM  Show Profile
I'm excited for Apple Pie Sunday! Last year I had plans to make one but things came up and I was unable to. We still had applesauce to somewhat participate in the day. I'll be more prepared this time around.

Looking forward to seeing what others will be making or doing!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6816 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6816 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2017 :  10:23:35 AM  Show Profile
While I was straitening up my walk in closet I found my Apple Festival garden flag from the first year. Had forgotten about it. Out of sight out of mind. Will put it on Sept 1 and bring it in on Apple Pie Sunday.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.
Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2017 :  10:39:42 AM  Show Profile
I'm TOTALLY in for Apple Pie Sunday! :)

I will have to decide which one to try! As far as a tried and true recipe goes, this one for a yummy filling is awesome! I've made it so many times!

Stovetop Apple Pie Filling

Ingredients

4 medium apples
3 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon cornstarch
2 tablespoons water

Instructions

Peel, core and slice apples.

Melt butter and cinnamon over medium heat. Stir in apples, sugar & 3 tablespoons water.

Cover and cook stirring occasionally for 4-6 minutes or until very slightly softened.

In a small dish combine cornstarch and water. Add to pan while stirring and continue to cook until apples are soft (not mushy) and filling is thickened. Let bubble 1 minute. Cool.

Notes
Some apples are juicier than others. If you would like your filling thicker, combine 1 tablespoon cornstarch with 1 tablespoon water. Add a little at a time while the mixture is boiling until you reach desired consistency.
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6525 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6525 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2017 :  11:16:31 AM  Show Profile
Thank-you Jamie for this recipe. It looks easy and delicious! Do you the just add this to your pie shells and bake? Or do you use this as a side dish

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2017 :  05:41:13 AM  Show Profile
I've either added it to pie shell and topped with another shell or even a Dutch crumble type topping or I just make apple cobbler with it, using desired topping type. Works great either way! If you wanted a side dish of cinnamon apples like they serve at some restaurants, this would work great for that too!
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2017 :  7:19:17 PM  Show Profile
Sounds wonderful! I am going to try it.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2994 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2994 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2017 :  09:00:57 AM  Show Profile
My vet has golden delicious apple trees in his yard. Saturday he called and left us a message while we were milking the cows that he pressed his first batch of cider. I bought 3 gallons. It's so yummy! And we've had some cooler temps this past week. I'm ready for fall - and apple pie :)

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month
http://nndairy.blogspot.com/

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4332 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4332 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2017 :  09:32:35 AM  Show Profile
Wow ..I learn something new all the time! Thank you Winnie for the info. I love love apples and drink a full glass of organic apple juice everyday as well as an apple a day! My dad's are apple dumplings and apple chutney! I just might like to join in on this celebration!

Farmgirl #7703
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6525 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6525 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2017 :  10:18:50 AM  Show Profile
Oh my Heather!!! Cool weather AND fresh pressed cider!!! How absolutely fantastic for your vet to share such a perfect fall treat. I would love to find a message like that on my phone. However, since apples don't grow in Florida, I am thinking it is pretty unlikely, don't you agree??LOL!! Enjoy a mug full warmed up for the cool mornings for me!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

nnfolkways
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

USA
25 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2017 :  2:38:28 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like fun!

How cunningly nature hides every wrinkle of her inconceivable antiquity under roses and violets and morning dew.
– Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2017 :  6:00:32 PM  Show Profile
we bought an apple press two years ago. I am holding out to use our sweet apples for fresh cider. Sour apples you have to add sweetener, but the sweet is perfect right out the press. I have a honey crisp tree that makes wonderful cider. I did pick apples off of an early ripening tree over the weekend. Have one bucket left. i did make sauce and fritters, and gave away 4 bags of apples. Of course the cows love the ones i throw over the fence.

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6525 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6525 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2017 :  12:48:15 PM  Show Profile
Wow, Michele, I would love to taste your homemade apple cider. It sounds like a perfect weekend project with cool weather and delicious apples. You have to let us know how it turns out this year when you make your batch!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6705 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6705 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2017 :  4:13:42 PM  Show Profile
Winnie, I bought some apples today from the store and I made sure they smelled delicious before I bought them! I'm excited to eat my first one. Thanks for the tip!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6525 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6525 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2017 :  07:06:14 AM  Show Profile
I hope your apples turned out to be delicious!! It is the season now to be able to get those early varieties which are always such a treat after months of apples that have been in cold storage.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page
  Holidays: Previous Topic Third Annual Farmgirl Apple Festival at MJF!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page