farmgirl68
True Blue Farmgirl

369 Posts

Katie
Bangor Pennsylvania
USA
369 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2017 :  06:13:06 AM  Show Profile
Hi all. I was wondering if any of you have a similar problem as I do. My son who is 28 and live 6 hours away, borrowed quite a sum of money from my parents with the agreement that he would pay them $200/month back. I told my mom at that time he could not afford that. Anyway, instead of paying $100 or even $10/month he has paid nothing. This was 4 months ago and he has not been in contact with any of us. The only way I know he is alive is because I contact his girlfriend once in awhile to make sure (I don't want to get her in the middle so I don't overdo this.) He does suffer from bipolar. He is un-medicated. And, I am sad.

Sorry to vent; I just needed to get it off my shoulders a little bit and see if anyone else has gone through something similar and see if anyone has any suggestions. I am ready to drive to Pittsburgh and knock on his door or show up at his work!

Katie #7422
Friends are the flowers that bloom in life's garden.

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2017 :  09:50:15 AM  Show Profile
I believe that a friendly call to your son's phone (I assume that he doesn't answer either.) saying that you will be in town for a day and want to have dinner with him. Set a date and go. Do not wait for him to confirm. A couple days ahead of time, confirm the dinner with his girlfriend and invite her too. Get a look at him and at his place, take a picture with him and of him. If you believe that he is a danger to himself or others, he can be placed in a mental institution by a person who is his next of kin. Because he is an adult, he has to consent to have further treatment. How to bring up the money problem is a tricky one. In my experience, this money may never be paid back.

I am so sorry for all the worry.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1016 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1016 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2017 :  8:28:34 PM  Show Profile
Hi Katie...
Sorry to hear about your situation. I like Marie's idea to invite him to dinner and talk. I will keep you in prayer.

TW

The fun begins where the pavement ends!
Go to Top of Page

farmgirl68
True Blue Farmgirl

369 Posts

Katie
Bangor Pennsylvania
USA
369 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2017 :  07:13:36 AM  Show Profile
We decided between tolls and gas and a hotel that the expense of maybe not seeing him was too much. I just have to keep trying and keep praying he's alright. My mom said yesterday that he's almost 30 and things we'll change soon; I sure hope so, for her sake if nothing else. She won't be around forever, nor will my father and I want them to know that he's alright.

Thank you so much for your kind words and prayers!

Katie #7422
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2017 :  1:24:02 PM  Show Profile
Praying for you, Katie. Keep us posted.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

farmgirl68
True Blue Farmgirl

369 Posts

Katie
Bangor Pennsylvania
USA
369 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2017 :  06:16:53 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Marly, the prayers mean a lot! Still no word

Katie #7422
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2017 :  12:37:29 PM  Show Profile
Still praying for you and your parents, Katie. Hugs to all of you.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2017 :  10:55:55 AM  Show Profile
Prayers are all well and good. I believe that this lad needs some direct confrontation and has to be made aware of some consequences. It had always helped me to be confronted in that way.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2017 :  2:18:55 PM  Show Profile
Continued prayers and hugs. Keep us posted.
Marly

Go to Top of Page

farmgirl68
True Blue Farmgirl

369 Posts

Katie
Bangor Pennsylvania
USA
369 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2017 :  11:26:01 AM  Show Profile
Yeah, I'm to the point of direct confrontation but don't want to and can't make the 6 hour drive to Pittsburgh to do that and, because he never calls, I can't do it over the phone. I'm stuck. I just hope he realizes that his grandparents won't be alive forever and that he will be very sorry if he lets this go. That will be a reality he won't want to live with.

Katie #7422
Go to Top of Page
  Family Matters: Previous Topic Never Calls Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page