Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2017 :  08:33:18 AM  Show Profile
Hi Farmgirls,

In case you haven't heard, ticks are at their worst ever this year, all across the country. I live in the tick capitol in Connecticut and it has already started. Anyway, if you have ever read my blog you will know that I was very, very sick for a very long time with Lyme. About five weeks ago I got a bad tick bite. The nasty bite has not gone away. He was only on my for a few hours as I was in the yard, but he left a bad mark. Anyway, I am lucky that I have a doctor who knows me well, and we are treating it. I love that he is a naturopath as well as an MD/OD, so we are being prudent.

Just a good reminder, spray your legs and feet before venturing out. I use a good natural spray made from essential oils and it makes a difference. As soon as I forget to spray myself or the dogs, we come in with the nasty critters.

Just a reminder...I don't want any of my farmgirl friends suffering the way I have! Wish me luck that I get over this bout quickly and thoroughly! Love you all!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4719 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4719 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2017 :  09:16:24 AM  Show Profile
As a volunteer gardener at the Morton Arboretum, I too have had to deal with ticks a lot. I always shower and wash my clothes that I was working in as soon as I come home. I also noticed using a hairdryer with a fine toothed comb also helps remove them right away. They dislike the heat of the dryer. Normally I prefer to air dry my hair, but the heat of the dryer has twice gotten rid of ticks that didn't have time to latch on. Thank goodness!

I hope you are done with ticks for the year now Nicole! Great advice on spraying the shoes and pant legs. A good reminder that the ticks are out there lurking in the grass or woods.

Dawn in IL

Life is like a novel, every day is a new page......
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2017 :  09:37:26 AM  Show Profile
Hi Dawn,

Good tip with the hair dryer! I hadn't heard that before. I must pass that to my daughter. She once got one so embedded in her scalp we had to go to a doctor. It was not a good experience!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6699 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6699 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2017 :  12:53:49 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the reminder Nicole. I'll be sure to keep an extra eye out for them when we venture out. Hope your bite mark is healing quickly.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17024 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17024 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2017 :  6:26:45 PM  Show Profile
Oh my Stars! ,,, so far,,, lucky to not have any tick problems over here...
especially since we have deer in our yard every night..
We do brush done our pup every day and knock on wood,, no ticks...

Thanx for the good advice dawn and Nicole.

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

cyndieparz72
True Blue Farmgirl

108 Posts

Cyndie
Port Vue PA
USA
108 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2017 :  09:20:40 AM  Show Profile
I suffer from Late Stage Lyme Disease/Chronic Lyme Disease. I learned five years ago that some people don't experience the "bulls-eye" rash when I had a tick on me when we were visiting Gettysburg. My Sister In Law got it off of my lower back, and I went about my business.

About 7 months later (Late Winter) I started feeling as if I was dying - my knees and shins became unbearable with pain, as well as many other muscles and joints in my body (my wrists were as painful as my knees). I started getting numbness in my hands and feet. The Asthma I was born with became a lot worse. Debilitating migraines . . .more and more forgetful and I was getting heart palpitations. When I say I felt like I was dying, trust me, I mean it.

I broke a lot of bones growing up (I was a tomboy). I have an artificial elbow because I shattered my elbow when I was 5 years old. My jaw was broken in multiple places when I took a softball throw to the side of my face. I even fractured my skull in my early 20's when someone stepped on the back of my shoe leaving a restaurant and I went face first into the corner of a cedar wall. I have a ridiculously high pain tolerance . . .

and none of that was anywhere near as painful as what I was feeling. I was crying at work, at home . . . pretty much all of the time. At one point, I started thinking maybe it was in my mind and I was going insane. It was taking a toll on my marriage and my work.

I had a literal TON of tests - more poking and prodding, scans and blood work than anyone should have to go through. After 3 weeks, my PCP looked at me as if there was a light bulb above her head and said "Have you ever had a tick on you?" I said "Yeah, last Summer, but I didn't have the rash".

The next day, I had a positive ELISA test result and was in the office of an LLMD in Pittsburgh (Lyme Literate doctors are few and far between and their information is basically kept top secret for some reason) and was started on a 2 month course of high dose Ceftin. After 2 weeks, I finally started to get some relief. It took an additional 1 month to get back to "functional" life.

What most people aren't aware of is that once diagnosed with Late Stage/Chronic Lyme disease, you can go into "remission" but most will be fighting it the rest of life. Lyme permanently damaged my immune system. I have had 4 "flare ups" since 2013 and those have been dealt with by 3-4 week courses of high dose antibiotics.

Because of Lyme, I am now resistant to certain classes of antibiotics and when I get ill from something else (say an Upper respiratory infection), I have to be treated quickly with Steroids and if that don't work, Levaquin (which is used for the Plague and has really bad side effects of it's own). I have to go to my LLMD every 3 months for basically the rest of my life. While I am classed in "remission" the joint damage was already done and my knees and wrists still hurt most of the time, but at a much more tolerable level.

I have been managing the pain with Imada Red Flower Oil (external), high doses of Turmeric/Black Pepper extract (because NSAIDS weren't working), exercises and trying to keep "moving". I have also, over the past year, been working to find a Naturopathic doctor that could possible help, but have had no luck finding one that has ever worked with anyone with ESLD.

ESLD/Chronic Lyme Disease is something I would not wish on my worst enemy. I beg of every one of you, constantly check yourself when working outside or if you are in an area with a tick issue and if you find a tick that is "larger" in size, play it safe and at least discuss it with your doctor.

In hindsight, my Sister In Law said that the tick, when she removed it, was larger - meaning it more than likely had been on me for some time and was gorged with blood. We didn't think anything of it because I didn't have the rash. The "rash" doesn't appear on everyone . . . and it is better to be safe than sorry.

Farmgirl #7407
“I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior.” Hippolyte Taine
Go to Top of Page

farmgirl68
True Blue Farmgirl

369 Posts

Katie
Bangor Pennsylvania
USA
369 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2017 :  06:05:14 AM  Show Profile
Cyndie I'm so sorry you have suffered so.

I have a homemade tick repellent that is free from chemicals. It has, knock on wood, worked so far this year. I was diagnosed with Lyme last year so keeping them off of me (I have a compromised immune system but that's a story for another day) is imperative! If you're interested here is my recipe. You should still be vigilant about looking for ticks after you've been outside.

20 drops lemongrass
20 drops Eucalyptus
4 oz water

Preparation
1. Add essential oils to water in a small spray bottle or mister.
2. Shake well before each use.

Katie #7422
Friends are the flowers that bloom in life's garden.
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2017 :  4:45:46 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
I just got finished with doxycycline. I discovered a bullseye rash on my back. Don't know when I was bitten but wasn't feeling well for awhile. CDC and the rheumatologist said 3-30 days after a bite. I started to feel better but now I feel awful again. Can barely walk, my wrists feel broken, headaches, muscle aches and everything else. Guess I need to see the doctor again.

Katie, I grew up in Wind Gap, Pen Argyl area. I'm only about 20 minutes from you. We'll have to get together sometime! Pennsylvania is the worst state for ticks/Lyme's disease. My husband was diagnosed a few months ago. Yikes!

Be Blessed and Be a Blessing,
Darlene
Sister 1922
October 2016 Farmgirl of the month

John 11: 35 Jesus wept.

When Satan's knocking at your door, just say "Jesus will you get that for me?"

When it gets to hard to stand, Kneel!

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13567 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13567 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2017 :  4:54:28 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
My gosh girls! What a terrible thing to go through! I know I can pray for you!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

farmgirl68
True Blue Farmgirl

369 Posts

Katie
Bangor Pennsylvania
USA
369 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2017 :  5:17:09 PM  Show Profile
I had active Lyme last year Darlene; I'm sorry you're feeling so terrible. And this weather isn't helping one bit, I'm sure. Let me know and we can get a cup of coffee or meet somewhere sometime when you're feeling better. I'd love to pick your brain since I'm new. I was trying to get a chapter started for the slate belt area.

Katie #7422
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2017 :  05:38:27 AM  Show Profile
Cindy,

I have suffered much in the same way. My naturapath works under one fo the most knowledgeable Lyme disease doctors in the area and I am so lucky to have found him. Turmeric/pepper is wonderful.

I recently was bitten by a wasp several times. A week later, I had a classic bulls eye rash at one of the bites, and lots of pain. Yes, it took a week. My doctor ran all the tick borne illness panels again, and I had to be on an antibiotic. Heads up, be careful of all bug bites. I also get horrible reactions to mosquitoes after having fought tick borne illness. My original illness was there for a very long time before I finally found the doctor who knew what to do.

Please read my blogs:

http://www.farmgirlbloggers.com/6733#more-6733
http://www.farmgirlbloggers.com/6839#more-6839

You aren't alone. Hugs to you.

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155
Chapter Leader, CT Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, Jan. 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blog

Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Carole
New York
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2017 :  08:36:20 AM  Show Profile
Nicole, thank you for the warning. Indeed, they are nasty this year!

It's not just about being outside but with pets also. They can hitch a ride on pets and get off on you. I always inspect my cat for ticks and I have had some just wondering on her fur! If your pet sleeps with you, it's worth paying attention.

Katie, thank you for your herbal tick repellent.

Catch you later! Cheers!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com
http://www.fibrejunction.com

Edited by - ceridwen on Aug 08 2017 06:47:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2017 :  05:09:40 AM  Show Profile
Good point, Carole! The other issue this year is wasps! Our area has been just overrun with wasps and yellow jackets.

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155
Chapter Leader, CT Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, Jan. 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blog

Go to Top of Page

farmgirl68
True Blue Farmgirl

369 Posts

Katie
Bangor Pennsylvania
USA
369 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2017 :  07:13:33 AM  Show Profile
I forgot to mention that you actually have to wear the tick repellent, not just make it. I'm not vigilant about wearing it and I was just, unfortunately, diagnosed with Lyme and it's kicking my butt

Katie #7422
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Careful of ticks Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page