katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16962 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16962 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2017 :  9:11:51 PM  Show Profile
So Mildred,,, did you hear? there is a new fabric store opening up in town and they are giving away free Apron patterns!

EEEK! I am sooooo excited!!!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Edited by - katmom on Jun 06 2017 9:13:31 PM

sargesproudwife
True Blue Farmgirl

174 Posts

Christine Marie
NY
USA
174 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2017 :  07:05:54 AM  Show Profile
Love it!

Christine, Sister #7295
www.theginghambow.etsy.com
www.theginghambow.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2017 :  07:10:58 AM  Show Profile
Grace, bought back memories of eating at Woolworths in Dallas in the late 1950s. Always dressed in our Sunday go to meeting clothes to ride the bus into Dallas. Haven't been to downtown Dallas in decades but back then it was magical to a country girl.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.
Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2017 :  09:29:38 AM  Show Profile
Grace, you are too cute!

Jana

http://www.emhardt.com

https://www.etsy.com/shop/cjcraftsstudio

Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes. ~Author Unknown
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt! ~Charles Schulz
Go to Top of Page

buzzn bee
True Blue Farmgirl

1061 Posts

Deborah
Muncie Indiana
USA
1061 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2017 :  10:20:22 AM  Show Profile
This picture is hysterical! Makes me thing of the Woolworth store we had downtown when I was a little girl (You know, just a few short years ago.) LOL! Don't I wish. LOL! My grandmother always wore dresses like this and also her little white gloves. I always thought she was beautiful! She always would look so grand when she dressed up, but come morning on the farm she traded her little white gloves for her calico print cobbler apron and rolled out some homemade biscuits with homemade brown sugar syrup, Soooooo Gooood! She would have to make granddad his bowl of sausge gravy. But me, I loved her syrup!

Have a great day Grace!

Deborah Horn
Buzzn Bee
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2017 :  2:51:12 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
We ate at the counter at Kresge's. Love ice cream sodas. LOL!

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month April 2017
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2017 :  7:34:12 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
We always went to Newberry's after I took the kiddos to the pediatrician. To eat there always made it a sweet ending!

Be Blessed and Be a Blessing,
Darlene
Sister 1922
October 2016 Farmgirl of the month

John 11: 35 Jesus wept.

When Satan's knocking at your door, just say "Jesus will you get that for me?"

When it gets to hard to stand, Kneel!

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16962 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16962 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2017 :  10:11:43 PM  Show Profile
Darlene,,, we had a JJ Newberry in our town of Thousand Oaks,,, but it closed down by the end of the 1970's.. luv'd their breakfast specials... I even bought my 1st set of Melmac dishes (to use in our trailer)... great memories.

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

Denise Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

831 Posts

Denise
Shoreview MN
USA
831 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2017 :  04:30:16 AM  Show Profile
When I was little we would meet my grandmother in Minneapolis and eat lunch at woolworths! What fun!. There was a pharmacy in the Medical Arts building and when we would go to the doctor we got to have ice cream or lunch there, it took the sting out of getting a penicillin shot!

Denise Ann
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2017 :  06:14:24 AM  Show Profile
I just love this vintage advertisement from the 1950s! Woolworth's was a big deal in our downtown but it did not have a cafe inside. Our cafe was up the soda fountain up street at Timberlake Drug store in the back. It was small but they had a brisk business during business hours which was the basic 8:30am-5pm. I remember that they made some fantastic rooter floats! But my favorite thing about Woolworth's was the mechanical horse in the front of the store. For 10 cents, it gave you a great ride in a real western saddle and reins. I was obsessed with that horse and earning a ride by doing my chores! I was horse crazy from about age 5 to present!! LOL!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2017 :  12:35:37 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Grace, ours closed in the early 80's. Really sad that they all closed. Now all the kids get to go through the drive throughs, get their food thrown in the window and eat while the mother's are driving through the traffic trying to avoid all the maniacs driving while texting, As the kids drop french fries and fight with their siblings! Some bonding time! Give me the old days!

Winnie, I loved those horses too. Actually my kids loved them for awhile until they took them away!

Be Blessed and Be a Blessing,
Darlene
Sister 1922
October 2016 Farmgirl of the month

John 11: 35 Jesus wept.

When Satan's knocking at your door, just say "Jesus will you get that for me?"

When it gets to hard to stand, Kneel!

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16962 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16962 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2017 :  4:36:55 PM  Show Profile
I know,,, now it all of the family is in the car at the same time as they drive thru.. the drive thru,, that is called 'family time'..

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

Beth Jones
True Blue Farmgirl

3196 Posts

beth
tallassee alabama
3196 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2017 :  06:11:41 AM  Show Profile
In Montgomery, Alabama, we had a Kress. Dont think it had a "g" in it! We went twice a year..Christmas and Easter!! It had a wonderful lunch counter that served the best chicken and dressing!! It was so good!! The whole family would pile up in the "49" black ford and make the hour trip to the big city. My grandmother and two aunts lived with us and my grandmother would always get peanut brittle with hand grated coconut in it. It was so buttery and good!!! I would save my pennies and buy a 19 cent bottle of "Evening in Paris" perfume. I think I loved the cobalt blue bottle more than the actual perfume! I can still hear the old fat wood hard pine floors of the store creak under my feet! No telling how old that lumber was. Those days were wrapped in gossimer memories!! How sweet!!

You can never be too kind!

FOTM June, 2014..I have been so blessed!
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16962 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16962 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2017 :  08:20:18 AM  Show Profile
Oh Beth.... I so remember the little bottles oh 'Evening in Paris' but by the time I saved enough pennies... it was .25cents a bottle... lol!
Evening in Paris and the dime store hankies... that were stiff as card board (untill mother washed them 1/2 dozen times.).

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

1Anne
True Blue Farmgirl

99 Posts

Anne
Lebanon CT
USA
99 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2017 :  12:56:11 PM  Show Profile
Isn't it amazing how one picture or one song can send you speeding down memory lane?!! As a kid, we also dressed up every time we rode the bus to Hartford to shop. Per my mother,it was expected that you wear your Sunday best to our state's capitol city. GFox Department Store was the place to go...long gone, as are the days of dressing up. But, alas, great memories!!! :-) Anne

Yes, in God I trust.
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16962 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16962 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2017 :  3:50:12 PM  Show Profile
I hear ya, Anne,,, we lived in New Britain (1966) while daddy worked in Hartford at the Army Reserve Building.
And yep,,, many a time mother would dress sis & I up to go shopping... no matter if it was a Five & Dime store or a high end Department store.

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Did You Hear???? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page