Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2017 :  08:38:55 AM  Show Profile
Thought I better make a post. Been a week I don't know where time goes but it sure does go.
Thinking about planting some herbs, but I don't know to much about that, might need some advise. I have been watching to many cooking show.
Nancy Jo

https://myrockingchairandme.blogspot.com/

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2017 :  10:39:30 AM  Show Profile
Nancy Jo, I love old books too. These two shown are very special because their covers look to also be in tune shape. Thanks for sharing!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13564 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13564 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2017 :  07:56:28 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Love old books as well have a few myself.

Only thing I can say about planting herbs is, if you live where winters are cold and frosty, DON'T plan rosemary outside. I've tried, been told not to and it doesn't make it. I have one that was outside in a pot until winter and I brought it inside for the winter and it's doing well. Has been in a south facing window. Pretty soon I'm going to start reintroducing it to outdoors so it can live outside in warm weather.
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6685 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6685 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2017 :  11:10:20 AM  Show Profile
I love the design of your picture album. Those are some nice old books! I have 2 older books that use to be my dads when he was a child.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2017 :  4:44:33 PM  Show Profile
I just love old books. WOW... you have tin-types!... and a fabulous album too! That's Great!
I think I may have made a boo-boo today because I was at a mission Thrift Store(all the employees work for free, except the manager) and they had 3-1955(my birth year) Louisa May Alcott books there for $2.00 each and I didn't buy them. They were hardback books like my sister and I use to get for Christmas presents.I may go back tomorrow as soon as they open and get them. I did buy a big olé Wycliffe Bible Commentary, 1962, that I'm actually going to use, also $2.00.

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
FGOTM:Jan.2012
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
"Hey...Don't Make Me Put My Hands On My Hips!"
"The serious go through life blowing far too few raspberries!"
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2017 :  09:18:30 AM  Show Profile
Judy, I feel you must return to that store and get those books. Well you know if you want to. I would have bought them myself.
Nancy Jo

Go to Top of Page

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2017 :  12:32:58 PM  Show Profile
I love reading older books. I love the descriptive style in writing and their almost "diary" or "journal" quality. Three of my all time favorite oldies are the following: "Driftwood Valley: A Woman Naturalist in the Northern Wilderness" by Theodora C. Stanwell-Fletcher 1946. She and her husband Jack basically were living near Tetana Lake in the extreme wilderness in British Columbia. Next, a wonderful read is "The Farm in the Green Mountains" by Alice Herdan-Zuckmayer, a journal written in 1968 and translated in 1987 by the New England Press, chronicles their adventures and life in the 1940's moving from Germany to a farm in the Green Mountains of Vermont. Whew, I used a tissue box with this one! Last is "Thirty One Years on the Plains and in the Mountains" by William F. Drannan. He was taken under the wing of Kit Carson at age 15 and became an Indian Scout amongst other things. Published in 1902. Much of the writing of this book was done in 1899 while temporarily located in Moscow, Idaho. It is an amazing account of trapping, hunting, scouting, and Indian experiences in the West. Best to you now! Annie

"The turnings of life seldom show a sign-post; or rather, though the sign is always there, it is usually placed some distance back, like the notices that give warning of a bad hill or a level railway-crossing." Edith Wharton, 1913 from 'The Custom of the Country'.
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2017 :  1:38:16 PM  Show Profile
Annie, thanks for all the info on those books, Always looking for something good to read.
Nancy Jo

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13564 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13564 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2017 :  2:30:32 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
As a teenager growing up I LOVED the Nancy Drew mystery books. I'm sure I owned some but I don't know what happened to them. In just recent years I've purchased some of them. I haven't read them yet but I hope to sometime in the winter.
I'm always on the hunt for others, but I won't pay high dollar for them!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2017 :  4:13:05 PM  Show Profile
OK Nancy, I got 2 of her books but the other was gone. Little Men was dated 1955 but was gone. Little Women is dated 1939(had to brush up on my roman numerals.*whew*)and Rosie in Bloom has 2 roman numeral dates:
1952 and 1955.Those are my sister and my birth years. Cool huh? Plus I found a book from 'The Polly Series' by Dorothy Whitehall, called Polly's Polly, dated 1925 which sounds like our American Girl series. It's a cloth covered hardback. Then I found Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm, dated 1960 by Kate Douglas Wiggins, WHICH, believe it or not... I've NEVER read! Nope! NEVER! I hated reading as a kid. Now I love to read!! hahaha
So, did I do good? huh, huh??? *giggle*

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
FGOTM:Jan.2012
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
"Hey...Don't Make Me Put My Hands On My Hips!"
"The serious go through life blowing far too few raspberries!"
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2017 :  05:45:05 AM  Show Profile
Judy, good for you, I almost had to put my hands on my hips! I never heard of Polly's Polly. I will have to look that up.
Nancy Jo

Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2017 :  06:42:21 AM  Show Profile
I read everything I could get my hands on as a kid -- sometimes to my mother's dismay! She absolutely forbid me to read "The Source" by James Michener. My dad had a copy of it and I devoured every word as a 9-year-old. Not to say that I understood it all, but I learned a lot about archaeology and Middle East history. Not sure what Mother didn't want me to see -- she was always a good one for judging a book by it's cover. I think she just thought it was an "adult" book! ha

My favorite allowable reading was probably Heidi. I read that thing at least once a year from the time I was 6 to the time ..... oh wait, it's on my e-reader right now! I read all The Bobbsey Twins that I could find, The Five Little Peppers, a religious series called "The Happy Hollisters," every book they put out about Rin Tin Tin, the Donna Parker books, Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew, Tom Swift, Treasure Island --- we didn't have a lot when we were growing up but we ALWAYS had books. Who remembers the Whitman Classics published in Racine, Wisconsin? They were lovely big "chapter books" with shiny pasteboard covers and they published affordable versions of all the great stuff for kids.

Thank you for starting this thread! It is always fun to get the memory digging back in time -- now I'm thinking about all the wonderful hours I spent hiding somewhere so I could read!

Farmgirl #6318
"Where there's a will -- there's probably a family fight."
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2017 :  09:23:35 AM  Show Profile
Marilyn, I should say you were a reader! I have my Bobby twin books and Five little peppers and Honey Bunch. Little Brown KoKo, Eight Cousins. A very old copy of Heidi. Its a wonder I saved these. So nice to hear that others remember or have these children's book.
Nancy Jo

Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2017 :  09:50:21 AM  Show Profile
I just posted another picture. Love books.

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2017 :  12:08:06 PM  Show Profile
Nancy...Loved both posts of your Old Books! Nothing Better to sit down with a great book old or new and just get lost in the Story Telling.

I have Two Gladys Taber Books that I adore. StillMeadow Sampler and StillMeadow Road. Those books just make me feel cozy and warm and delighted
to snuggle up with Tea or Coffee, the books, and wear one of the Shawls I've knitted...on a cold winter's night. I love being transported to
their little Farm with their dogs and Farm Neighbors. I don't have a fireplace that is why I rely on my shawls...would rather wrap up in one
of those than turn the heat up higher.

Judy...I hope you went back to get those Louisa May Alcott Books. I had a signed copy by her and a couple very old Wizard of Oz Books like 1902 - 1910 and squirrels got into our storage area and ate into the boxes and then made nesting material out of my books. I was so sad!!!
So, please go buy them and read them...you will Love them!! I know you will!

Love and Hugs,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
Dec 2011-Farmgirl of the Month
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

Love The People God gave you...
Because He will need them back one day!
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Some Very Old Books, etc Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: