Kiltie Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Jennifer
Bay City MI
USA
68 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2017 :  07:49:21 AM  Show Profile
We are thinking of starting a CSA this year - but a "non-traditional" style CSA. We already have a farm stand, but I find that we tend to have a lot of waste some weeks, depending on traffic. Now, those weeks the farm animals get a treat, so it's not a total waste, but still.... Anyway, I'm worried about the commitment of running a CSA - for example, what if there's a bad week or what if we overcommit? Hence, the non-traditional part.

What I'm thinking is that every week on Saturday morning, after we pick and sort, we put together however many boxes we can with what we get that week. Then we'll post on our farm Facebook & personal Facebook how many boxes and what's included. Respond for pick-up or delivery on a first come, first serve basis. That way, if we have a low week, we just don't worry. And if a customer is on vacation or doesn't need a box, they aren't committed to it.

What do you think?

I posted the following on our farm Facebook page (and personal as well) too try and do some fact-finding. Can any of you provide input? Thanks!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1279209165483788/permalink/1533349353403100/

Jenn

Farmgirl Sister #7120

http://viewfromourfarm.blogspot.com/

"Leave room in your garden for the fairies to dance."

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2017 :  7:15:52 PM  Show Profile
I know of an organic farm that posts in advance (several days ahead of time) what will be available, and people can order on-line (or by phone) what they want for that week, and the farm has some designated spots where they drop off the orders. It's not exactly like CSA, but it seems to work.This farm sends out e-mails to people on its list so no one forgets, and everyone can easily see what's available. If they have limited quantities of something available, they will post that and the people who place orders first get it. The customers pay when they arrive to pick up their produce. it's not quite as risky as a CSA from the customer's point of view, and a lot of a farm's success depends on how the customers see things. It might be more risky on your part, but if you're willing to take that risk, it might work out well.
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Go to Top of Page

firecatinc
True Blue Farmgirl

1252 Posts

Lenora
Fulks Run VA
USA
1252 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2017 :  7:17:54 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like an excellent idea.

Nora
Farmgirl Sister #7131
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2017
http://firecatinc.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Kiltie Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Jennifer
Bay City MI
USA
68 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2017 :  10:31:32 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by prariehawk
It might be more risky on your part, but if you're willing to take that risk, it might work out well.

See that's why I was thinking of doing it this way. Plus, we have the roadside stand to put anything extra or anything that doesn't sell in a box. And our "leftovers" usually go to the animals when they start to soften.

So there's not much "risk" overall for us doing this way, I guess.

Jenn

Farmgirl Sister #7120

http://viewfromourfarm.blogspot.com/

"Leave room in your garden for the fairies to dance."
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic CSA Questions Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page