Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Good Morning Farmsisters!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Good Morning Farmsisters!!! Next Topic  

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2017 :  06:18:05 AM  Show Profile
Hi everyone!

I have not been chatting here as often as I like to. The last two months were just not the best. I started the year off great, but after a trip to NYC, I came home with a flu thing, which turned into bronchitis/laryngitis, and have not been my usual self until JUST THIS WEEK. I have finally stopped coughing! My voice is returning, finally, along with my energy! My dd has been sick with a couple viruses here and there the last eight weeks, too. Not our usual "no sickness" household!

Today I am drinking a cup of coffee, listening to the big wind that has been blowing since early morning. It is sunny, so my shades are open and sun is streaming through. I should be working on some things I need to do, but couldn't let another day go by without saying "hi"!

Recently, I finished an apron I will be sending off to Denmark to surprise my mother in law with. It's really cute with all her favorite colors and a nod to the fifties with rick rack. I know she will like it because she gave it a thumbs up on Facebook, lol! She doesn't know it's for her! I want to start a skirt next, with retro cherries fabric I bought. I am also in the middle of several knitting projects (of course, lol, nothing new there)!

I have started walking outside again, weather permitting. Friday we had temps of 70 degrees! My best furry friend and I went for an hour + walk. It was so nice to break a sweat that wasn't menopause!

I have been cooking and baking up a storm. Lately, I have been excited to plan some new recipes, and looking forward to them, while also making favorites I haven't made in awhile.

I have been working a lot. Classes I teach are really filled, and I have been busy with private clients, too. That keeps me busy. Right now I need to finish preparing for another upcoming garden class/lecture I have coming up. After that, I can relax a bit more.

I am chomping at the bit to start gardening and yard clean up! What about you? I didn't *need* to buy seeds, but those packets call to me! I will start indoor seed sowing soon. Onions can start now. I need to get my indoor greenhouse set up again. Yikes! Should do that today or tomorrow, I guess. This spring I also want to re-do and upgrade the chicken coop.

We had a dear friend from Denmark visit a few weeks ago. That was nice, too. He arrived and left in between snowstorms - lucky!

Been busy with Girl Scouts. In addition to being leader, treasurer, I am now cookie mom (not by choice, but cause no one else would do it, lol). Had to learn how to do it all, so now next year it won't be such a big deal I guess. Takes up a lot of my free time, but I am happy to do ti. Sigh...It's all good, and I love watching these kiddos grow up.

Our local garden show was last weekend. We went the last day and everything was deeply discounted! I got a beautiful big fern which is now in my bathroom. Fingers crossed it lives. I am babying it, so we shall see! It really put me in a spring mood! Do you have one in your area?

I know it will be cold some more, and that's okay. We always get snow around St. Patty's. It's fun to see things pop up from a long winters nap, like the snowdrops! They are all blooming here.

So...that's about it. Missed you all! What's up in your neck of the woods?

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2017 :  06:35:41 AM  Show Profile
Here's the little apron I just made. I love this simple pattern and have made a bunch. Making one for an aunt with chickens on it.

https://www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger/photos/a.113390295661927.1073741830.111153792552244/428156174185336/?type=3&theater

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2017 :  06:39:32 AM  Show Profile
Nicole, so good to hear from you and that you are feeling better. Even when you aren't feeling up to par you sure do stay busy.

My MJF garlic is doing good - about 6" now. Tomorrow my sister and I are going to Kelly's to see what plants are in. I'm looking for basil, mint, fennel, and cilantro. I have never cooked fennel but have learned about it from watching TV cooking shows so I want to give it a try.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Carole
New York
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2017 :  07:08:09 AM  Show Profile
Nicole, glad to read that you are back to your healthy self. A flu can really set you bad. I caught one in December and it took over a month to get over it.

You sure have been keeping busy. Cute apron indeed. I'm sure your MIL will love it! Cheers!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com
http://www.fibrejunction.com
Go to Top of Page

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2017 :  08:35:51 AM  Show Profile
Hi Nicole, you sound like a very busy gal and remind me a lot of myself when my two girls were young. I volunteered in my girls classrooms, chaperoned field trips, was a girl scout leader and served on the neighborhood board, active on the school PTA, a sports mom, orchestra mom and active on the grad nite committee. Now that the girls are grown, moved out, and are developing lives of their own, I miss those days. As I am sure you have already heard before...enjoy every moment as it goes so fast! I miss those busy, hustle/bustle days, but have slowly filled it with visiting friends, traveling, gardening, sewing, quilting, and preserving food. I can't believe I am now watching a lot of my daughters friends getting married and having children of their own.

Jana
http://www.emhardt.com

Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes. ~Author Unknown
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt! ~Charles Schulz
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2017 :  10:37:05 AM  Show Profile
Nicole, I am happy to hear you are feeling better and back to chatting with us here. It sounds like you have stayed super busy despite your sicknesses. You go girl! Your apron is way cute! Let us know what your MIL says when she gets it! I bet it will be a huge surprise. Spring is right around the corner so we can all start getting excited for our gardens! Good luck with your fern.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2017 :  1:24:14 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, everyone! I hope my MIL loves her apron. I am almost finished with a chicken one for my aunt. Then I want to make a skirt for spring using cherries fabric. It's red and pink cherries with black fabric.

I guess I volunteer a lot for scouts because my dd is an only child. In three years she will head off to college. I have always been one who likes to stay busy, though, even as a child.

Can you believe my dd was sick this week? So much crud going around this year. Hope everyone else is staying healthy. So nice to be back to my old self!

Much love,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16958 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16958 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2017 :  09:31:52 AM  Show Profile
Oh Nicole.. If I ever head back to New Britian, CT... I will look you up... A tea party and sewing play date would be such fun....
Glad you are feeling better.... and I enjoyed your lovely article in the Apr/May issue of the MJF magazine....
P.s. my 221 isfrom 1953....

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2017 :  07:56:46 AM  Show Profile
Grace,

Wouldn't that be "sew" much fun? Yes, please tell me if you head this way again. Do you have family here?

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16958 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16958 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2017 :  09:05:52 AM  Show Profile
Nicole.... daddy worked in Hartford at the Military recruiting station for 1 1/2 yrs then we went back to Germany.
I was only 10 at the time...

And I 'sew ' agree... 'sew ' much fun!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2017 :  09:27:12 AM  Show Profile
Hellooooo Sunshine! 'Sounds like you are doing so much better now, Nicole - thank GOODNESS! Sunshine really is good for the soul! :)

Things here are settling into a nice routine, dramatically fewer appointments, everyone on the mend from flu season. We had a run of spring weather, so everything is popping up green... Even our daffodils bloomed! The lilacs started budding early again, and then, alas, the chill of winter has rolled back in, so I'm afraid we won't enjoy the fragrance of those flowers again this year. But that's okay - that's life! My herbs are all coming back in full force, I still have cabbage and kale growing from last fall, the garlic is poking through the soil... All promises of a wonderful "yet to come." I'm sooo looking forward to spring and Easter and getting my hands in the soil again! Such a beautiful season of renewal... I'm happy!

Be well, Nicole - EVERYONE!!! So much good is in store...

Hugs and love,

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2017 :  4:42:13 PM  Show Profile
Hi Nini,

We still have to talk, and now I finally have my voice back! PM me and let's make a "date" to gab! Sounds like it is getting to be spring where you are ahead of me. We only have snowdrops peeking out so far...

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Good Morning Farmsisters!!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic