True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Sue
Wellingborough
United Kingdom
122 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2017 :  03:46:39 AM  Show Profile
Hi

Hope you do not mind me asking this - I am an occasional lurker on this site but not normally a poster - just wondered if you would mind answering a question for me.

I am in the UK and today is Pancake Day - Shrove Tuesday is traditionally marked by eating loads of Pancakes, pancake races etc etc. This tradition dates back at least 1000 years

While we were eating our pancakes for breakfast my Grandson asked if people in other countries ate Pancakes traditionally today and to be honest I do not know.

So do you eat pancakes in America on Shrove Tuesday?

Hope you can help with our research

Sue

Dance like nobody's watching!

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4720 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4720 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2017 :  04:43:24 AM  Show Profile
I've never heard of pancake day Sue, but that doesn't mean it isn't celebrated here in the US. Today in the Chicago area is Paczki Day. There is a huge Polish population here and this is a pastry they eat to celebrate Fat Tuesday. Traditionally this Polish donut is filled with fruit or cream, fried and then topped with sugar, powdered sugar, or icing. I always joke it is all the sins of the world wrapped up in one donut!

I'll be leaving soon after my son gets on the school bus to pick up our paczki's. They go fast and it is amazing the number of them consumed in the Chicagoland area on this day. Enjoy your pancakes!

Here is a link if you're curious about these Polish donuts" http://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/ct-paczki-2017-restaurant-bakeries-chicago-20170222-story.html

Dawn in IL

"Don’t let anyone ever tell you that this country isn’t great, that somehow we need to make it great again" Michelle Obama
Go to Top of Page

sue5901
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Sue
Wellingborough
United Kingdom
122 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2017 :  06:15:08 AM  Show Profile
Oh - Shrove Tuesday is the day before Ash Wednesday - guess you might not know that term either though - the day before Lent - I guess I assumed it was called the same everywhere. I have never heard of Fat Tuesday but it is obviously the same day.

I think all the different foods associated with this day stem from the idea of having a final blow out before Lent.

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2017 :  06:22:27 AM  Show Profile
Hi Sue - I love your grandson's curiosity!!! Today is indeed International Pancake Day :) I'm not sure how popular it is, or if it is one of those holidays some people know about and others don't. It is also National Chocolate Souffle Day here in the US.

Dawn - I will have to check out the Polish donuts. yum!!!

~ Shannon, Sister # 5349
Farmgirl of the Month - January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2017 :  07:38:03 AM  Show Profile
I love that today is pancake day in the UK, here is the US it is tooth fairy day, floral design day and as Shannon mentioned national chocolate souffle day. Sue, please tell us more about International Pancake Day.

Jana
http://www.emhardt.com

Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes. ~Author Unknown
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt! ~Charles Schulz
Go to Top of Page

sue5901
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Sue
Wellingborough
United Kingdom
122 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2017 :  08:16:56 AM  Show Profile
Pancake Day is one of the oldest traditions in UK at least 1000 years old - people had to eat up all the rich foods before Lent and obviously in this time that was fats and eggs - hence pancakes. The bell rung at the church to get people shriven (confess their sins before Lent)became known as the Pancake bell in the 900's.

A few miles from me is the Olney pancake race, the original and oldest pancake race in the world - it started when someone heard the pancake bell and had not finished making her pancakes so ran with the pan to the church - this happened in 1449 and the race is still run every year. It was a later Vicar from the same church in Olney in the 1700's that wrote Amazing Grace.

It is universally celebrated here - as I mentioned I am not aware where else in the world it is but I am glad to hear it is international pancake day so other people eat them as well. Of course these are English Pancakes and not US style ones so I think you would think of them as Crepes.

Traditionally the topping is lemon juice and sugar and this is still the most popular but golden syrup, honey and jam are popular and nowadays nutella!!

I love the sound of the polish doughnuts - we have a large polish population in my town but I have never heard of these but will look out for them.

Go to Top of Page

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2017 :  08:45:19 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Sue for the detail information on the holiday. My mother-in-law was born in Switzerland and raised in England, before relocating to the US, so I know and love the crepe style pancakes. My favorite is the fruit filled crepes. They are very light compared to our buttermilk style pancakes.

Jana

All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt! ~Charles Schulz
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6719 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6719 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2017 :  11:36:10 AM  Show Profile
I have never heard of Shrove Tuesday. It sounds like an awesome holiday. I hope you and your Grandson are finding the answers you need in your research. Thanks for sharing some history as well.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13572 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13572 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2017 :  1:42:34 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
I have heard of Shrove Tuesday but not Pancake Day. It is "Fat Tuesday" here in the US which has to do with Mardi Gras which is basically a New Orleans, Louisiana celebration.
Pancake Day sounds like a fun holiday.

By the way, my hubby and I usually have pancakes or waffles on Sunday, but we had them yesterday. I had mine with yogurt and blackberries on them.
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2017 :  2:04:07 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Sue, I know about Shrove Tuesday. It is the day before Ash Wednesday and is also known as Donut Day here. All sweets are eaten, hence Fat Tuesday, and then given up for Lent. It is an act of sacrificing for the 40 days during Lent to remember what Jesus sacrificed for us. Then on Easter the fast is broken and sweets are eaten again. I just ate my donut! LoL! Nice to meet you Sue!

Be Blessed and Be a Blessing,
Darlene
Sister 1922
October 2016 Farmgirl of the month

John 11: 35 Jesus wept.

When Satan's knocking at your door, just say "Jesus will you get that for me?"

When it gets to hard to stand, Kneel!

Go to Top of Page

firecatinc
True Blue Farmgirl

1252 Posts

Lenora
Fulks Run VA
USA
1252 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2017 :  5:28:05 PM  Show Profile
I didn't know it was pancake day today but I had apple pancakes for breakfast.

Nora
Farmgirl Sister #7131
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2017
http://firecatinc.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2017 :  10:49:28 AM  Show Profile
We do, Sue! We do!!!! I didn't really know the origins of this family tradition until I had seen a series by Joanna Bogle called, "Feasts and Seasons," which really explains these Catholic traditions so beautifully (even have her book!), but this is a tradition we've celebrated for as long as I can remember. We really look forward to it!

I would just love to bring all of the traditional feasts back to all of the seasons and holidays - SO much meaning behind them!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

sue5901
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Sue
Wellingborough
United Kingdom
122 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2017 :  09:56:16 AM  Show Profile
Just to update you on our wholly unscientific and random research. It appears many countries have similar traditions on the day before lent but most places have a tradition that is very local. It seems Pancakes have spread slightly beyond the UK but only because it is so established here.

Thank you so much for all your contributions ladies - my Grandson has enjoyed hearing them all.

Olney mentioned above is only about 5 miles from us so I know it really well - we always go there for our Bonfire Night celebrations - I will have to come back on November 5th to bore you all with that one

Thank you

Go to Top of Page

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2017 :  10:03:30 AM  Show Profile
Fascinating information, thanks for sharing Sue!

Jana

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Pancake day Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page