savycarmen
Farmgirl in Training

49 Posts

Carmen
salkum Washington
USA
49 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2017 :  06:52:51 AM  Show Profile
Well, we've been doing good for awhile on keeping up tutoring with our son. My husband hasn"t been because of him working so hard on trying to fix cars lately. He's suppose to be tutoring our son on 3 subjects. On math, science and music classes. So I have been trying to keep him up. But I can"t do math very well. So he's behind for now. I'm sure Dave will help Josiah get catch up sometime. I just hope real soon. I guess I'm frustrated about our son behind and those stupid cars. It just seems theres always something to fix or something to have to do. I just want our son to get through school this year. So he can enjoy summer with out having to do school work. Thanks for listening. Just neede to get stuff off my chest, I guess.

SavyCarmie

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2017 :  11:28:24 AM  Show Profile
Carmen, I understand your frustration. I applaud both you and your husband for your homeschooling efforts, and I sure understand what it's like when the necessities of life drag you away from the best made plans. You and your husband have so many responsibilities in addition to homeschooling. Sometimes it's just hard - life doesn't really care about our best made plans. Try not to let the frustration get to you. Flexibility is the key. And I think most homeschooling parents, if they're honest, are nervous about their own ability to teach all sorts of subjects. I get that. Nobody is an expert in everything. But don't doubt yourself. There are so many tools out there to help. I know you can do this, preferably with and even without your husband's assistance. I believe in you!!!! Here are a few of things that really helped me in those times of uncertainty - I hope you'll find them helpful, too! :)

First of all, I refer you to edhelper.com for their seemingly limitless free materials to help with many, many subjects for all the different grade levels. Sometimes we used their materials simply for support in different subject areas (loved their worksheets and games). Other times, we used their materials for subjects like music theory, art history, and even for reading and holiday celebrations and history. I loved it.

Math can be a very difficult subject for anyone to teach, even if you are someone who really loves math and are very good at it. Please also check out the website mathusee.com for a very helpful math curriculum. I'm a HUGE fan of math, but my son had a lot of difficulty with the different programs available out there. The Math-U-See program made all the difference in the world for him - and for me, because, although math is one of my favorite subjects, he just couldn't grasp it the way I was teaching him. Everyone learns differently, after all. The Math-U-See videos are fantastic and the materials are so easy for the kids to use and grasp. I highly, highly recommend it.

We also used Apologia for our science courses. They also have wonderful videos to help with difficult concepts, but what we really liked were the actual course videos for subjects that were much harder to teach and/or grasp. We watched them together, then discussed and reviewed everything together afterward. Very, very helpful.

Music was a bit more difficult. In the younger grades we used edhelper.com for free materials to help with basic music concepts. As our son got older, there were no courses we found that I really liked, although we did try quite a few in those early years. We ended up having our son take guitar lessons. He loved it. We found a local music store that had very reasonable rates, and he learned everything he needed to learn and had a LOT of fun in so doing. If you are unable to find anything within your price range (we were really, really lucky with that), then I would suggest that you try some of the courses on YouTube that teach music concepts and even how to play instruments.

The great thing with homeschooling is that, if you meet all the criteria of your school system/state law, you can be extremely creative and flexible with your curriculum. It can actually be a lot of fun. A LOT of fun. And fun makes learning so much easier! Again, I know it's overwhelming at times, but I know you can do this, even if your husband can't help you right now. It's not how you planned things to be, but I know you can do it. If you ever need help, please feel free to email me!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Mar 01 2017 11:30:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

savycarmen
Farmgirl in Training

49 Posts

Carmen
salkum Washington
USA
49 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2017 :  07:50:30 AM  Show Profile
Nini, Thank you so much for all the website to look at. Your a great encourager too. The Lord blessed me to day through you. I will look up those site and my son and I are going to get through this homeschool thing.
Thank you again, Carmen

SavyCarmie
Go to Top of Page
  Farmgirl Chapter Chatter: Previous Topic homeschooling Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page