katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17025 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17025 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2017 :  8:50:23 PM  Show Profile
I remember when I was a little skinny girl,,, and my mother loaded my baby sister and I up into the Ford Squire station wagon and drive into town (we lived on Base).. She would go to the milinary department to buy her matching hat/gloves and handbag for special occasions like Easter...
I would sit on the big tufted setee' and watch.

Mother use to have them in pastel colors as well as white,,, some wrist length, some mid arm and some were Opera length... I wish she had kept them... I would love to have them in my small collection of vtg. gloves.

I spotted this nifty glove holder,,, I didn't know they existed...

I was looking through a vtg. magazine and spotted a handbag with a built in glove holder... now that's nifty!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Edited by - katmom on Feb 19 2017 8:51:28 PM

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2017 :  10:26:16 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
My mother had a lot of hats, gloves, purses, and especially shoes. She had about 3 rows of 8 or more shoes in her closet. Kept them in the boxes to keep them neat. Lots of hat boxes, too. None of the hats or gloves were around when she passed away. I guess they were out of style and she got rid of them.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17025 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17025 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2017 :  11:15:03 PM  Show Profile
well bummer Linda, oh if only we could sneak back in time and whisper in their ears,,, 'don't get rid of those gloves and hats and... your daughter's will luv and cherish them...

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2017 :  11:57:01 AM  Show Profile
Oh, the memories just make my heart smile! Thank you, Grace! On Sundays when I was little, I just loved dressing up with my little hats, gloves and black or white patent leather shoes with little anklets trimmed in lace and matching purses (with pretty little hankies and hand cream inside!), especially on EASTER SUNDAY! Oh, the gloves... They always made me feel so grown up! I can still smell my grandmother's gloves as she held my cheeks to greet me with a kiss - a mixture of rose hand cream, mints, prayers and love.

Oh my gosh, I also just remembered my dad spit-shining everyone's shoes on Saturday night. So gross to think about it today (LOL!), but when we were little, it seemed so fancy and special.

I've never seen a glove holder before - how neat is THAT?! You always share the neatest things, Gracie!

(BTW, one of my favorite Christmas tree decorations when I do my Victorian tree is white glove bows made by tying the thumb back and around the palm of the glove and then fastened by a fancy old-fashioned button!)

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17025 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17025 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2017 :  12:48:42 PM  Show Profile
Oh Nini... your mention of your dad "spit shining " the shoes.... I will go you one further .... my daddy would spit shine his boots then put in the fridge to harden the wax befor he buffed them....
Hey mom, what's for dinner? .... lol!
Ahh... how times have changed....

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic I Remember When,,, Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page