Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 I did it! Public speaking...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic I did it! Public speaking... Next Topic  

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2017 :  05:50:26 AM  Show Profile
Hi Farmgirls,

In 2015 I became a Certified Master Gardener. At UConn's Extension, they offer a program for added experience, to become an Advanced Master Gardener. I have taken many classes, and then was asked by the director if I would become a presenter and teach a class! So...yesterday I taught my first one. Speaking to around 50 people for two hours. I was a bit nervous preparing, but when I got there, it went off without a hitch. I had so much fun! I did it! I am used to teaching classes in knitting, and have taught garden based classes to small groups, but this was to a large room full of Master Gardeners (some with more experience than myself). Two hours is a long time to stand in front of a group of people, but it went great! Woo-Hoo!

Have you done public speaking? Do you remember your first time to stand before a large group?

My presentation was on how to keep houseplants happy and healthy. I find many great outdoor gardeners find they do not have green thumbs indoors. It was fun to present.

Anyway, was so happy how it turned out, just wanted to share.

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2017 :  06:01:37 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Deborah. It did not help when I ran into one of the most amazing MG's in Costco. She is so sweet, and was trying to be helpful, but said it was a tough group to impress and if you don't have confidence, they will chew you up and spit you out, lol! But it was great and I can't wait to teach another class. To become an Advanced MG, you have to get 20+ more hours of class room time. I never dreamed I'd be one of those presenters! Public speaking is always a bit nerve racking, and we had to reschedule my class twice - once for my flu and once for weather. I was hoping I'd present something that was worth waiting for! :)

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2017 :  06:06:23 AM  Show Profile
So proud of you, Nicole. First to do the hard work to become a Master Gardner and then more work to become Advance Master Gardner and now to speak before a large group. I'm so glad you shared your experience with us so we can celebrate with you. As you do more public speaking I want to hear all about it.

You asked if we would share our stories of public speaking. I have limited experience speaking about herbs when I belonged to the Sherman Texas Herb and Old Rose Society. One time I spoke on herbs at a herb and art event at a historical house. That was my biggest group of people. Throughout the day I spoke on different topics and the number of people varied.

My employer sent several quality department employees to a Dale Carnegie Speaking course. That was the first public speaking I had done since book reports in high school. Happy to say I was awarded a pen for one of my speeches.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4719 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4719 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2017 :  06:44:57 AM  Show Profile
Great job Nicole! Two hours is a very long time to talk, no matter what size the group is. I did take speech in high school and again in college. In high school I wanted to throw up before having to talk. I became more confident in college and it really prepared me for work later. I worked at the national lab by us and during our group meetings (about 35 PhD's or more in attendance) I would have to talk about administrative stuff, travel, reimbursements, procurement etc., to these guys. It was intimidating knowing I was talking to incredibly brilliant physicists and chemists, but I soon realized they were clueless about the admin. part of things. That helped me feel more secure when speaking at our meetings.

Have fun teaching more classes! You're doing a great job & it's wonderful your sharing your knowledge with others.
Dawn in IL

"Don’t let anyone ever tell you that this country isn’t great, that somehow we need to make it great again" Michelle Obama
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6525 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6525 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2017 :  06:48:15 AM  Show Profile
Congratulations Nicole! Public speaking is not easy to do and I am so happy to hear that your first time went so well. I bet everyone enjoyed your presentation and the next time it will be easier for you to do too!

I learned pubic speaking when I went through my teacher training in college and did my semester of student teaching. My area was French and I was working towards certification for teaching in secondary levels. The scary part was that I was only a few years older than those high school juniors and seniors and it felt weird and awkward to be the teacher in charge!! But I had a great teacher mentor that I was working under and she helped me with positive help and feedback. Once you get used to speaking to a group, it gets easier and when you relax, you can have fun with the groups and learn from their questions and input. Public speaking is really a two way conversation at it's best.

Nicole, thanks for sharing and I hope you will have more opportunities to share your gardening passion and expertise with others!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13568 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13568 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2017 :  07:59:19 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
CONGRATULATIONS NICOLE! I never doubted for a minute that you could do it.

Yes, I have done public speaking, all focused on family members with developmental disabilities (I have a son with Down Syndrome). Some of it was teaching classes to parents in how to work with professionals.

I also taught college classes in Medical Terminology and Medical Transcription for 10 years.

But more than that, I have played the piano in public, my first "big" thing was an hour-long recital my senior year in high school, ALL of it memorized! But I have played, sung LOTS and LOTS in public . . . YES, one gets very nervous!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com

Edited by - ceejay48 on Feb 08 2017 2:19:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17025 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17025 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2017 :  10:45:27 AM  Show Profile
Whoot Whoot Nicole,,, sounds like you did an awesome job,,, just the beginning....
I think when we speak about something we are passionate about,,, it easier to speak/share that knowledge with others...

I wish we had a Master Gardeners program up here,, but the nearest one is in Mariposa, about 45miles further up the mountain... uughh...
I am sure I could find one down in Fresno but that is also about a 30-35mile drive... so I guess I will just have to learn the old fashioned way... planting failures and successes... lol! or I could just watch more garden shows on the PBS channel and daydream..

But for now,,, I just have to wait till we get through all this rain and flooding... which brings to mind,,, my heart goes out to the lower Eastern areas of the Country with their weather issues,,, hugz to them...

So, Nicole,,,, think of me when you are speaking,,, I'll be the goofy one raising my hand asking you a gazillion gardening questions!
lol!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Edited by - katmom on Feb 08 2017 10:47:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2017 :  2:42:45 PM  Show Profile
Nicole...Congratulations!!! Public Speaking is the #1 Thing People Fear The Most!
So good for you dear heart!!! I taught Women's Public Speaking Classes in a
Bible College years ago and I know it can be quite terrifying for some people.
When I first started doing public speaking myself...before I ever began Teaching Classes on The Subject...I would
get so nervous my throat would dry out and my tongue would stick to the roof of my mouth and I invisioned Dry Cotton Balls Floating out of my mouth onto my Audience. LOL The one thing that got me out of my fear of pulic speaking was hearing Bob Hope one night on Johnny Carson telling how he got so nervous every time he went on stage that he threw-up. And I thought to myself...Oh, my goodness if stage fright can cause a great speaker, commedian, and entertainer like Bob Hope to throw up...I guess I can be thankful for dry mouth and cotton balls! LOL So, I thought of Bob hope every time I had to get up and speak or teach. And I have known great Singers, Professional People and even Actors/Actresses that left their Talent on the back burner because they had such Stage Fright that it left them unable to do the very thing they had the most talent in and the very thing they loved to do...as long as they didn't have to do it in front of
live audiences.

One Tip that helps also is knowing your topic very well and practicing what you are going to say over and over again so that you are very comfortable with it. I always admired people who could speak with no notes...unfortunately I was not one of those people.

I am so proud of you Farmgirl...and I have a feeling that you are going to have many more opportunities to speak and teach.

Blessings and Hugs,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
Dec 2011-Farmgirl of the Month
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

Don't allow others to steal the Glitz from your *SPARKLE*

Life is too short to knit with ugly yarn!

Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch

Edited by - LadyInRed on Feb 08 2017 2:51:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

firecatinc
True Blue Farmgirl

1252 Posts

Lenora
Fulks Run VA
USA
1252 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2017 :  4:24:20 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations, Nichole. Master Gardner sounds like a great accomplishment. Public speaking is hard for a lot of people.

Nora
Farmgirl Sister #7131
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2017
http://firecatinc.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1019 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1019 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2017 :  8:32:45 PM  Show Profile
Wow Nicole, great job! Wish I had your knowledge. I only have a green pinkie not a green thumb.

TW

The fun begins where the pavement ends!
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2017 :  6:50:02 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Way to go Nicole. What an accomplishment! 2 hours is a long time and you did it! Farm sisters are like that, aren't they? Thanks for sharing with us.

Be Blessed and Be a Blessing,
Darlene
Sister 1922
October 2016 Farmgirl of the month

John 11: 35 Jesus wept.

When Satan's knocking at your door, just say "Jesus will you get that for me?"

When it gets to hard to stand, Kneel!

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2017 :  9:15:26 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations, Nicole! Sounds like you did a wonderful job! What a wonderful experience!

Yes, I have also done public speaking quite a few times. I have yet to get through a speech without my voice wavering, but once I am in the zone, it's a real charge... I have to say, though, I'm always happiest when it's ALL OVER! LOL!!!

Kudos to you, sister!

Hugs,

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2017 :  1:30:12 PM  Show Profile
Hi Farmgirls! Thank you all so much. I heard from the coordinator this week. She wrote me a wonderful thank you note and said everyone learned a lot, so mission accomplished! Now I need to prepare for another class for my town, though this time will be a smaller crowd. :)

My moms was in Toastmasters for a few years when I was in middle/high school. I guess I learned some from watching her all those years ago. :0)

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic I did it! Public speaking... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic