katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2017 :  2:36:50 PM  Show Profile
Am I the only one.... to have lived through this phase???

lolol!

Back in 1965, when we lived in Conneticut my mom was into these mother-daughter dresses...
Needless to say,,, my sister (who is 8 years younger than me) and I were dressed up in look-a-likes and so was mama...
I recall one of the look-a-likes in particular,,, a red corduroy shift... I hated it,,, Mama sewed a lot of my sister's and my dresses and way to often she would sew lots of these shifts in all sorts of fabric but I hated the corduroy because it felt so heavy and stiff.
I know I have some photos somewhere... I will have to hunt and see if I have them....

So anyone else wear Look-a-Likes?

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Edited by - katmom on Jan 31 2017 4:50:10 PM

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2017 :  2:59:01 PM  Show Profile
I would have been seven years old and although my mother never dressed my sister and I up like her, she did dress my sister and I alike many times as we were growing up. I tried not to do the same to my girls but I did dress them up for the first day of school each year where I would take a picture of them at the school marquee.

Jana
http://www.emhardt.com

Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes. ~Author Unknown
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt! ~Charles Schulz
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2017 :  3:03:33 PM  Show Profile
I was born that year, so I lived it, but I didn't wear it! LOL! Love the look! :) So neat! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2017 :  3:08:12 PM  Show Profile
My mother would make my dresses and my brothers shirts too and we always matched.

Never thought anything about it.

Of course my younger brother was so sick of the shirts because he got them all handed down. He never seemed to have a new shirt there for while.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2017 :  3:10:00 PM  Show Profile
Wow, I know my mom sewed dresses for my sister and I, but I don't recall if she ever sewed anything for my brother!

Jana

All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt! ~Charles Schulz
Go to Top of Page

firecatinc
True Blue Farmgirl

1252 Posts

Lenora
Fulks Run VA
USA
1252 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2017 :  4:07:35 PM  Show Profile
I remember seeing the outfits in the Sear catalog, but my mom and sister and I never dressed alike. I did wear most of my sister's clothes though as she is 4 years older than me. My mom also made a lot of our clothes. Do you remember the seams up the back of your hose? Thank the lord that they went out of style right before I had to try to wear them.

Nora
Farmgirl Sister #7131
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2017
http://firecatinc.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2017 :  4:19:39 PM  Show Profile
Grace, I loved through that era too!! In 1965, I was 14 by then, but there were no Momn/daughter look alike efforts. I was in high school and a suggestion of such a thing would have been a total non-starter for me!! LOL!!!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13564 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13564 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2017 :  4:51:19 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
I was in high school in the 60s. My younger sister and I weren't dressed alike then, but we were when we were younger. Yes, my mom sewed us dresses alike. But, she didn't match her dresses to ours.

CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com

Edited by - ceejay48 on Jan 31 2017 4:52:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2017 :  4:54:58 PM  Show Profile
I think one of the reason mom made the Shifts was because they were so easy to make and so versatile... they were sleeveless and V-neck.
That way in summer I could wear a short sleeve cotton shirt under the shift and winter I could wear turtle necks.. Oh Joy,,, I was such the fashion statement! snork, giggles...

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2017 :  5:04:27 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
My mother and I never dressed alike. My sister was 8 years younger, and we were never dressed alike, either, except one time when I was in college I made us dresses that were alike when she came to visit for little sister weekend. That is a nice clean crisp look.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1019 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1019 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2017 :  9:50:17 PM  Show Profile
Grace I got one for you. My Mom and Dad were huge country western music fans back in the 60's. Even though we lived only a few miles from the beach in the middle of Orange County CA. We didn't dress like other true golden baby Californians. We had to stand out as a family in our white Lee jeans and matching western shirts loving made by my Tia Mary and don't forget the pointed toe strider heel boots and big white cowboy hats. My Tia Mary must have seen 4 or 5 sets of these fancy duds for us. Any time we went anywhere that most people dressed up we would be dressed out like cowboy clones. My Mom even wore her hair like Dale Evans with the Bobbie pin curls.

TW

The fun begins where the pavement ends!
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2017 :  10:34:17 PM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness,, Nancy to funny!

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2017 :  04:59:14 AM  Show Profile
Yes my mom sewed most all our clothes. Every Easter and Christmas we all had new look alike dresses. Same material and maybe moms dress might be a little different, pattern sizes you know. There are 3 of us girls. so she did alot of sewing. She did not sew alot for my brother though.
I had 3 boys, and i did sew most of their clothes, until they got older. My dad would put curlers in our hair to top it off. Us girls all had the same curl flip hair style, and crooked bangs. Looking at the old pictures is so funny. Memories are great.

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2017 :  06:32:50 AM  Show Profile
Oh dear, yes! My mother was a wonderful and talented seamstress, but we never got along very well. I absolutely hated it when people told me I looked like her, or acted like her, or anything like that. (She was a secretly abusive person, and I have come to grips with all that later in life, but as a child it was very confusing) Every year at Easter she would make me the most LOVELY outfit -- usually with little white gloves and a purse and hat. That would be my Sunday School dress all spring and summer.

When the look-alikes became the "thing," I just dreaded them. I remember one in particular (probably the last one! ha ha) that was a pale yellow (MY WORST COLOR!!!!) linen weave with a mandarin collar. There is a picture somewhere of us standing there together -- I must have been about 12 or 13 -- and if I recall, I was rolling my eyes and wishing to be anywhere else! I always had hated a mandarin collar. When I got married as a teenager, she went to the dry goods store in town and bought a pattern and fabric for a "punishment" dress for me to be married in. It was pink doubleknit with a mandarin collar. But by that point I didn't care, because I was getting out of her house and away from her control.

The look-alike dresses I loved were the delightful ones she would make for me and my Tiny Tears doll. (She was actually a Tiny Tears knock-off named Dolly Tears, but I didn't know that until years later -- she was wonderful and I still have her) Every time Mother would make me a new dress, Tiny Tears got one, too. The woman never used a pattern for my little girl dresses -- she just started cutting and sewing and next thing - there would be a cute little dress for me and one for TT. We had matching terrycloth robes and pajamas, too. Tiny Tears is still wearing the little Buchanan plaid number with the yellow bias tape trim -- must be 58 years old -- my my, how well she has kept her figure!

Remember (if you are as old as I am) when all our dresses and blouses buttoned up the back? I guess it would have been okay if we had all had ladies' maids like Downton Abbey, but for us regular folks, it was always like doing gymnastics to try to get that last button in the very middle done up on my own.

Thank you for bringing back the memories!

Farmgirl #6318
"Where there's a will -- there's probably a family fight."

Edited by - Marilyn Hartman Sullivan on Feb 01 2017 06:36:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2017 :  06:54:49 AM  Show Profile
My sister (Audra Rose) and I are only 16 months apart. In 1966, my mom had to take me to the hospital in Lacrosse, Wisconsin to get my shots for kindergarten. She had to bring my sister along and we were both dressed in the same cute little blue checked jackets. My mom left my sister in the waiting room playing with toys while she took me around to find the place where the shots were given. Meanwhile, some nurses grabbed my sister and gave her the vaccinations I was supposed to get. When they figured it out, they gave my sister a lollypop and didn't charged for her vaccines. I was annoyed and the shots really, really hurt. Every time we passed that hospital, I called them the "bumble bee doctors."

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

AutumnCountyGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

Kiersten
Suffolk Virginia
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2017 :  07:47:39 AM  Show Profile
I wasn't around then but I grew up in the 1990s and early 2000s and my mom and I matched a bit. We didn't match full outfits but we often matched sandals during the summer and share accessories.

Kiersten, Farmgirl Sister #7232
https://autumncountrygirl93.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Carole
New York
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2017 :  10:36:07 AM  Show Profile
My mother and I never dressed alike, nor did my younger sister. My mom did make all of our clothing. Back then, it was economical to sew and knit. The only garment she didn't make was our snow suits! She knitted our mittens, scarfs and hats ... She also made my younger brother's pants. I had a friend who was an only child whose parents bought all of her clothing. She always had the latest fashion! I remember her coming to elementary school with bell bottom pants! Ok, I'm dating myself! lol

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com
http://www.fibrejunction.com
Go to Top of Page

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2017 :  11:11:29 AM  Show Profile
Carole, I love the bit about the friend whose parents bought all the latest fashion for her. I started sewing when I was in the sixth grade and by high school I was making all my own clothing, which included a lot of the latest fashion look, from jeans and matching jean jacket, tie back buttoned shirts, bikinis, prom dresses, etc. I loved the variety of patterns and fabric that was available.

Jana

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2017 :  11:34:23 AM  Show Profile
I love it!!! you gals are such a Hoot!...
and Connie,,, date away cuz I too remember Bell Bottoms (Sonny & Cher)...lol!

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6685 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6685 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2017 :  11:56:41 AM  Show Profile
Grace, I love this! I wish I grew up during that time so I could match outfits with my mom. Now I have my boys matching at least once a week. I have even attempted matching them to DH but he won't go for it!! So hopefully in my future there will be a little girl and I plan to have matching outfits with her.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2017 :  12:15:58 PM  Show Profile
I asked my mom last night if she ever sewed for my dad and brother and was surprised that she use to sew shirts for the two of them. She even sewed a square dance skirt and matching shirt for her parents. I never new this and would love to see pictures of these! I am so thankful that I still have my mom around to ask these questions!

Jana

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2017 :  12:36:31 PM  Show Profile
Grace...Praise God I did not have to dress to Match my Mother...just my little sister and I.
Debby was 3 1/2 yrs younger than me...but people called us The Twins because mom always dressed us the same.
I wasn't a Fan of that...not being actual twins.
Sorry you had to do the Mini-Mom Thing. That must have been traumatic! LOL

Hugs and Giggles,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
Dec 2011-Farmgirl of the Month
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

Don't allow others to steal the Glitz from your *SPARKLE*

Life is too short to knit with ugly yarn!

Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2017 :  11:04:43 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
This is a hoot! I never dressed like my mother and my sisters were 10,9 and 7 years older than me. I did wear hand me downs though. My mother worked in a blouse factory and the blouses were $1.25 and I would get every color they made of the same style! Our area had factories galore. After school and summers we all got jobs. I remember one summer I sat 8 hours, 40 hours a week, sewing darts! Yikes! That's why I became a nurse.LOL! I did sew my prom gowns and lined suits that were required in home ec. Now they're lucky if they have home ec. It's a shame because all the factories are gone. Those factories fed a lot of households. Sigh!

Be Blessed and Be a Blessing,
Darlene
Sister 1922
October 2016 Farmgirl of the month

John 11: 35 Jesus wept.

When Satan's knocking at your door, just say "Jesus will you get that for me?"

When it gets to hard to stand, Kneel!

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2017 :  7:49:05 PM  Show Profile
Darlene,,,
like you,,, I did a lot of sewing in Home EC.... My 1st challenging project was making a pleated wool skirt with matching vest... ahhh,,, the 1960's were good!

I must confess,,, I have made easy peasy little T-tops for my grand girlies in matching fabric,,, but I machined embroidered their names on the shirts.

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2017 :  8:08:31 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Grace, yes the 60's were one of the best times of my life! Seems like yesterday until I look in the mirror and wonder who the gray haired lady is staring back at me! LOL!

Be Blessed and Be a Blessing,
Darlene
Sister 1922
October 2016 Farmgirl of the month

John 11: 35 Jesus wept.

When Satan's knocking at your door, just say "Jesus will you get that for me?"

When it gets to hard to stand, Kneel!

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2017 :  11:17:16 PM  Show Profile
Ditto that Darlene... lol!

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Am I the Only One!!! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page