New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author *Farmgirl Barter™: Previous Topic Offering scraps of wool Next Topic  

harvesttender
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

56 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2017 :  12:12:41 PM  Show Profile
I am a rug braider, de-stashing my cupboards, and have 4+ lbs. of wool strips to barter. These pieces are in strips that are cut from 1.5" wide to app. 2.5" wide. There are many colors, and most pieces are 1 yd. or less in length. Excellent short pieces for making puppets, quilting, weaving .... many fabric crafts.

I would like to barter the whole bunch for organic herb seeds, preferably basils, dill, thyme, rosemary.

Interested? please be in touch, and thank you.

... braiding away in VT's beautiful Northeast Kingdom ...

http://etsy.com/shop/woolenbrae

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2017 :  08:55:37 AM  Show Profile
Hi! I'm a wanna-be wool rug hooker and I have started a little stash of wool pieces. I also garden, and have a stash of seeds! My seed source is Territorial Seed Company in Oregon (look them up at territorialseed.com) and they guarantee that their seed is not treated and never GM, but I don't know if that's as close to organic as you were thinking. If you are interested in talking, I have 2016 seeds of German Chamomile, Creeping Thyme, Stevia, and Lemon Balm. (actually, the stevia and lemon balm are both marked organic.) I also have dill I collected from my own "organic" garden (I'm not a die-hard organic, just a simple gardener) as well as 2013 seed of Borage which I successfully germinated last year.

Let me know what you think!

Sara
Go to Top of Page

harvesttender
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

56 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2017 :  1:59:14 PM  Show Profile
Sara - Hi and thanks for responding. I had also listed the wool pieces on eBay, and sold them; so they are not available after all. I am sorry, as I am intrigued by your various seeds - especially the borage, and chamomile. Can I offer to you a yard of new wool in a solid color as barter? I have a lot of dark navy, black, cranberry, pale yellow, dark purple, and rich browns.

Let me know your thoughts when you have a chance, OK?

Mary

Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2017 :  7:45:01 PM  Show Profile
Mary, I'm glad you sold your wool pieces! Hooray!
I would be glad to swap with you. But I've been thinking it may not be beneficial to you all the way across the country, and that your could possibly order seeds from a company for less than the shipping to California.

I do also happen to have alpacas, and if you have any interest in their raw fiber, I have some to give away. In case that plays into your plans...it might even out the field a bit!!

Sara
Go to Top of Page

harvesttender
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

56 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2017 :  06:26:28 AM  Show Profile
Sara - Your assessment is probably correct. And who knows ... maybe the seeds would not flourish in New England soils. Alpacas?! They are so wonderful. We have visited a couple of farms in this area, and I am fascinated by their beauty. Some sheep-owners here also have llamas as guards for their flock. They seem like very bossy big sisters :)

I once tried to braid with strips from a piece of alpaca fabric and found it lacked the stretchy quality that makes a neat twist. It might just be the particular weave of the cloth. Beautiful fabric. I will remember you if any interests in fiber should come up. Thanks again, and it's fun chatting here.

Mary

Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2017 :  09:21:36 AM  Show Profile
Sorry, Mary, I lost this thread for a while but now I found you again!

Yes, it is true that one drawback about alpaca fibers is the lack of memory. The advantage to this is that it has the capability of draping, which other, springier fibers do not do well.

Don't worry about the exchange. I simply enjoyed chatting. And you have reminded me to renew my efforts to find homes for my boxes of fiber. Happy braiding!

Sara
Go to Top of Page
  *Farmgirl Barter™: Previous Topic Offering scraps of wool Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page