Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Snow Day at Rabbit Hash, Kentucky
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Snow Day at Rabbit Hash, Kentucky Next Topic  

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2007 :  06:54:23 AM  Show Profile
Hi girls--
Just thought I'd share the wonderful day we had (and photos) from the Winter Music Pot Luck at Rabbit Hash General Store. My husband's band played, and the concert coincided with the first snow of the season, so it was just gorgeous! Perfect day for stews and music around a big potbelly stove! I brought homemade 15 bean soup with ham hock, and fresh baked beer bread. There were shrimp fajitas, curried potatoes with mustard seed, vege soup, hoppin john, and a ton of other stuff that I ate and just don't remember! Afterwards, we went for Indian food as if that wasn't enough!
The store has been in business since 1831, as does the town of Rabbit Hash, which maybe has 150 people? There is still mud in the attic of the store from the 1937 flood when all of this area was under water. You're never a stranger, there, though. I highly recommend visiting if you're ever passing through Northern Kentucky...I have a few photos:

This is the outside of the store.
javascript:gotoSlideShow('http://www1.snapfish.com/slideshow/AlbumID=148623072/PictureID=2905199079/a=40376146_40376146/t_=40376146')

This is the barn where in the Summer, they hold barndances (also a potluck) and I take belly dancing from the proprietor, Terry.
javascript:gotoSlideShow('http://www1.snapfish.com/slideshow/AlbumID=148623072/PictureID=2905199068/a=40376146_40376146/t_=40376146')

This is a bit of the inside (sorry, a little dark)
javascript:gotoSlideShow('http://www1.snapfish.com/slideshow/AlbumID=148623072/PictureID=2905199074/a=40376146_40376146/t_=40376146')

These are a couple of the band playing
javascript:gotoSlideShow('http://www1.snapfish.com/slideshow/AlbumID=148623072/PictureID=2905199076/a=40376146_40376146/t_=40376146')

javascript:gotoSlideShow('http://www1.snapfish.com/slideshow/AlbumID=148623072/PictureID=2905199078/a=40376146_40376146/t_=40376146')

Like I said, hope you get an opportunity to visit this great place...

Just think of all of the roads there are...all of the things I haven't seen....yet.

jo Thompson
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jo
the mountainside of the Chugach in Alaska
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2007 :  08:30:44 AM  Show Profile
How fun Jonni! What a funky, neat place....... we just got a ton of snow last night, I need to go get rid of it before I go to work............... jo

"life is drab without a lab"
http://homepage.mac.com/thomja/Anchorage/PhotoAlbum15.html
Go to Top of Page

knewslady
True Blue Farmgirl

555 Posts

Kathy
Russellville KY
USA
555 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2007 :  09:24:10 AM  Show Profile
I have always heard of Rabbit Hash, I may have to try to make a road trip there this summer. Do you have any idea how far you are from Logan County, Ky.
Kathy

Will always be a farmgirl at heart
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2007 :  09:35:51 AM  Show Profile
Looks like you all had fun and what a cool place. Reminds me of the movie "Fried Green Tomatoes"! We used to have a small store/grocery/butcher shop like that and boy do I miss it! That is a funny name for a town! Glad it was a memorable and enjoyable day!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2007 :  09:36:50 AM  Show Profile
looks like alot of fun, thanks for sharing it.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2007 :  09:52:33 AM  Show Profile
Kathy--can you give me a city in Logan County to work from? You really should come up this way, and visit Rabbit Hash and the Dinsmore Homestead and Boone Cliffs, and, and, and (there's alot to do right in this area that's just great fun!). Try to come for a barn dance during the summer.

I know I've been through Logan County, but I can't remember on what trip.

Bramble--
I cut this from their website for you about the name..
The town's name, "Rabbit Hash" is said to have originated during the flood of 1847 when the abundant local rabbit population was driven to higher ground and became a food staple in a special stew called "hash." Little documented history of Rabbit Hash actually survives, primarily because devastating Ohio River floods in 1884, 1913 and 1937 deluged the little town and ruined many records.

Just think of all of the roads there are...all of the things I haven't seen....yet.
Go to Top of Page

lamamama
True Blue Farmgirl

255 Posts

Melanie
CA
USA
255 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2007 :  10:17:17 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the pics, Jonni!

I really enjoyed seeing them. Seems like that bit of snow was an enjoyable little bit of "icing on the cake" for your day........ making it extra cozy. And I'm SOOOOOOOO glad to hear that the Dinsmore Home is going strong! I was fortunate to visit there (years & years ago) when it was still in the original family. I fell in love with it. And the stories that go along with that place are just amazing.

Does your DH's band ever head up to Cincinnati to play @ Arnold's? From what you write, the band would fit right in there. Or maybe @ another Over the Rhine venue. I've also heard that Paducah is really an up & coming kind of place, now.

Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2007 :  10:18:21 AM  Show Profile
Looks like a fun time for all; love the look of that store. I can just see a counter full of moon pies! Nance
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2007 :  11:16:40 AM  Show Profile
Nance--yes, there ARE moon pies and rock candy, sassafrass, penny candy and all the old stuff you can't find anymore. I just love it there.

Lamamama--how Funny!!! Arnolds is their home base--they play once a month there, and my husband is the daytime bartender!!! You must have some foot in the bluegrass, hm?

Yes, the Dinsmore is still going strong--so lovely, and such great history there. I actually have an african american friend, who is in her 70's, and her grandparents were the caretakers in the 1960's. Utz was their name, and they worked with M. Brestead (sp). She brought photos in a few days ago for me to look at of the Dinsmore and all the folks who lived/worked there on the homestead with them. Amazing!!

I've heard that Paducah is up and coming, too--I'll have him check into that. They're booking a show right now in Madison, Indiana, which is a great little place, too, near Hanover College. They're trying to do short jaunts all around the tri-state--we're really lucky to be located in the midst of it all, really.

Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2007 :  3:54:48 PM  Show Profile
I love the name of the town and it sounds like you had such a great time. What fun!

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

knewslady
True Blue Farmgirl

555 Posts

Kathy
Russellville KY
USA
555 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2007 :  5:52:09 PM  Show Profile
Hey Jonni, the county seat is Russellville. A barn dance sounds wonderful. I don't dance but would love to watch.
Kathy

Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2007 :  8:07:32 PM  Show Profile
Ok, Kentucky farmgirls, I've got the goods....
Russelville is about 3.5-4 hours south of Burlington--we were just there in August on a visit to Mammoth Cave, and to our friends who teach school in Bowling Green--such beautiful country!

Elsmere is just south of Erlanger, (north of Florence, which most folks have heard of, which is south of Ft. Mitchell and Covington, all located on the Dixie Hwy (or Hwy 25) which goes to Florida, though I wouldn't recommend it!

We should get together--I go to Bardstown often, and I'd be super happy to meet you all. Better yet, come up this way and we'll do the "town" :)

Go to Top of Page

knewslady
True Blue Farmgirl

555 Posts

Kathy
Russellville KY
USA
555 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2007 :  8:11:26 PM  Show Profile
Sounds good to me but I think one of the Kentucky girls who is off on a trip (sorry, I can't remember her name) is planning a get together this spring. I love Bardstown, that is undoubtedly one of the neatest towns but I want to definitely try to work in Rabbit Hash this spring or summer. So, I will keep you posted.
Kathy

Go to Top of Page

lamamama
True Blue Farmgirl

255 Posts

Melanie
CA
USA
255 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2007 :  08:45:30 AM  Show Profile
Yes, Jonni, I have at least one foot there in "My Old Ky. Home," a piece of my heart, too! My sister lives in Independence - just east of you. I will be there looking for a place to live this late Spring......going to move back. So we will be nearby neighbors. :) I was hoping to live in Danville, but the hospital there is just too small, & doesn't pay enough to support my little family (I'm a single Mom). So I plan to work @ St. Elizabeth's. & shop around for 2-5 acres in Union, Walton, etc. We will be renting @ first, however. Can't wait to get some fried chicken at The Courthouse!
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2007 :  09:00:23 AM  Show Profile
Cool!!! Moving back to Kentucky! We will be close, the hospital is just about 10 mins. from me. I actually work in Covington, and they've totally renovated St. E. North for a rehab hospital--don't know what your area in nursing is, but this area only has about a gazillion hospitals to choose from!

I'm hoping that the Courthouse hasn't closed--the one in Burlington did and they were owned by the same family.

Walton over Union anyday--you'll die at how grown up Union has become. And the land out there is REALLY pricey for even just a few acres. Sadly, it's all commercial and subdivisions now. Hwy 42 is just terrible anymore--they've made it a 4-6 lane in some spots, and are planning a 6 lane cut through from Camp Ernst Rd. to Verona to bisect the county with a clover leaf and all.

Out 25 towards Walton, you can still find property and Walton Verona Independent schools are just the best!!!

Keep me posted on your move--I'd love to send a homemade pie over when you arrive, farmgirl neighbor style and all ;)

Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2007 :  5:25:04 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the Rabbit Hash info, figured it had to do with something like that! When you mentioned Covington you brought back a memory I had forgotten! When we came to visit my grandparents in TN, there were some relatives in Covington my Dad wanted to see and when we got there it was nothing but music and singing songs I had never heard of before. At seven I was VERY shy, and when they asked me why I wouldn't sing (they were just trying to be nice) but I didn't know any of the songs they were singing. Finally they got me to sing a song I had learned in school that year..."We shall Overcome" and the room went silent. I thought I must have sung it badly and looked at my Dad. He just took my hand and said "That was beautiful darlin', let's get you a Cocoa Cola". It was a trip full of revelations for "that yankee babygirl" as I was called the WHOLE time I was there! Other than that all I remember from that trip is going to a cave Jesse James hid in, a horse auction, and everything being so green and soooooo hot! You do live in a beautiful place, that I do remember after 40 years! Yikes!!!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

lamamama
True Blue Farmgirl

255 Posts

Melanie
CA
USA
255 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2007 :  2:31:25 PM  Show Profile
Hi there, again, Jonni
Boy, it sure is sad to hear of all that development. Just what I was afraid of......
It will be interesting - & sad, too, I know - to see it all when I go back this Spring, to start setting things up for our move. Seems like the development & sprawl virus has spread just about everywhere in the country. I want to find a place where it hasn't hit yet - @ least not too bad of a case of it - and rally with the locals to stop that kind of damage. I just pray I don't have to go TOO far afield to find a place like that.
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2007 :  5:39:20 PM  Show Profile
Gosh, don't know how I missed this when you first posted. What a great name for a town and what a great place! I'd love to visit the barn dances, (are they contemporary like line dancing or more like square dances? ) Please be sure and post the dates when they come up this year.

Bramble, at least you didn't sing "De Colores"... LOL there are lots of Joan Baez songs I remember that could have been worse!

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Snow Day at Rabbit Hash, Kentucky Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page