Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Fabulous Farm Collectibles
 *Farmgirl Barter™
 Vintage Wood-Burning Cookstove
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author *Farmgirl Barter™: Previous Topic Vintage Wood-Burning Cookstove Next Topic  

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2007 :  09:53:43 AM  Show Profile
Want to cook bread the old-fashioned way? In a wood stove like your great-grandma used?

I have to find a new home for the cook stove that was original to our 1911 farmhouse. It's a Glascock Co. "Victor Junior" model, white porcelain on black cast iron, with a two-door warming shelf above. As far as I know, it's got everything it came with back in the 1920s, including an accurate thermometer on the oven door.

The oven/stovetop really WORKS! We can't actually cook with it only because our chimneys are no longer safe to use. I've been using it for several years basically as a giant trivet, right next to my gas range. I would really like to keep it just for the nostalgia value, but I need to get serious about redoing my kitchen, and it's getting in the way of my plans.

This is from an old product catalog. The big main picture is like mine, only our just has four, not six, "burners." All you'd need is the right size flue pipe for your setup. Hardware stores usuallysell them pretty cheap.

It's way too much trouble to ship, so you'd have to pick it up (I have a pickup truck and can help, if you don't have the right kind of vehicle for such chores), so that means getting to Fauquier County, Virginia. Expect to stay for tea and homemades!

Tell me what you have to swap, or we could talk cash, if that makes more sense to you.

Edited by - Rosemary on Jan 15 2007 10:30:21 AM

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2007 :  10:29:09 AM  Show Profile
If only I lived closer...that IS my dream stove!! Someday............
good luck..some lucky farmgirl will have a dream stove for sure!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2007 :  10:38:45 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Jenny. Yes, that would be quite a drive!

I love this stove so much I've even thought of finding a way to use it outdoors, with a fluepipe just going straight up for a few feet to lift the smoke out of head range. Maybe it could be set on a rolling platform of some sort so it could be wheeled out for use, then put away to keep it from the elements (cast iron rusts in the rain, presumably). You'd need flat paved surfaces for this, though, which lets us out.

Just the idea of baking bread in a wood stove sets my mouth to watering. And let's not even think about apple pies, baked beans, and on and on. Or making coffee on the top in one of those cool old-time enamel pots. I mean, how Farmgirl can you get!

Wow. I think somebody'd better take me up on this before I lose my nerve!
Go to Top of Page

babs
True Blue Farmgirl

226 Posts

Babette
MN
USA
226 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2007 :  10:53:11 AM  Show Profile
That is a lovely stove... wow. I'd love to find something like that here. I would totally redo my gardening shack. It would make a lovely garden tea hut, and I could boil maple syrup on it in the spring. Are you sure you don't want to keep it?
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2007 :  11:01:08 AM  Show Profile
How far are you from Nelson County? How much moo-lah would you be looking for? Send me an email and I'll contact you tonight. I love it!!!!

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2007 :  11:15:44 AM  Show Profile
Nelson County is five counties southwest of us.
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2007 :  11:21:46 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by babs

Are you sure you don't want to keep it?

I wish I could. If only I could find a realistic way. *sigh*
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2007 :  12:21:01 PM  Show Profile
That's my dream stove too!!! I love it and couldnt part with it, I'd find a way to use it, do you can? You could always make a summer kitchen and use it out there? I've also seen them on porches used as a outside fire pit type or used for plants? I wish I could come and get it!

Visit me at my blogs:
www.countrypleasures.blogspot.com
www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com
www.photo-per-day.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2007 :  2:14:32 PM  Show Profile
what an awesome stove! gee! I think the using it as a garden porch decor would be so neat too...if noone could use it as a cookstove.. Gee..it's a really neat one.
Hope you find someone that will really appreciate it.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

momjolly
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Campbell
Cincinnati Ohio
12 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2007 :  1:27:36 PM  Show Profile
Did you sell or trade your stove away yet? What are the dimensions of the stove?
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2007 :  09:48:31 AM  Show Profile
Oooo...I love this stove. Did you ever find a home for it? I don't have room either, but I have always wanted one of these!!

http://auntgeorgeshouse.blogspot.com/index.html
Thanks for checking out my apron and sewing musings!
Go to Top of Page

serenity1652
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Fawn
Elkins WV
USA
140 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2007 :  4:32:08 PM  Show Profile  Send serenity1652 a Yahoo! Message
Did you get rid of the stove yet...if not let me know.

"May all of your farm girl dreams come true...as mine has"

http://shallowcreekfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2007 :  4:33:02 PM  Show Profile
Ahh, what a stove to have! *sigh*

Blessed Be!

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
http://chevy49girl.livejournal.com/

http://chevy49girl.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2007 :  10:23:07 AM  Show Profile
I've been offline (in the recreational sense, anyway) for a while but wanted to let ya'll know that my wood-burning cookstove is still looking for a new home. Can't be free, I'm afraid -- asking $400 or best reasonable offer, including swapables -- and I think it would be sensible for you to be able to drive home with it, since it's much too heavy and problematic to ship. I have a pickup if you don't, and if it's not too huge a distance to your place, I could provide the wheels. I'm in Fauquier County, Virginia. By the way, here's a photo I took a little while ago, to add to the owner's manual drawing I posted when starting this thread.

Something I've noticed is that there appears to be one piece missing: a sort of extra ledge that would hook on to the right of the "burners" -- I've looked for it in our outbuildings and the old barn, but it's truly gone, or maybe it was an optional thing that the original owners decided they didn't need, so it was never there. I imagine it would be easier for most folks to accommodate this stove without that attachment, since it would add to the overall width of the stove without making all that much more practical.

In answer to your question about size, momjolly, it's about 30" wide, 5 feet tall. If you need more specific info, I can whip out the yardstick at home later.

Rosemary

Edited by - Rosemary on Feb 28 2007 10:52:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2007 :  10:50:18 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by serenity1652

Did you get rid of the stove yet...if not let me know.

Tried unsuccessfully to e-mail you earlier today. My addy is rosemarynov1@yahoo.com -- give me a holler

Rosemary
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2007 :  10:52:21 AM  Show Profile
Rosemary she is a grand ole dame! My grandmothter (a farmgirl in Iowa) cooked on one of those. Mmm....the best raised yeast rolls on sunday!!

http://auntgeorgeshouse.blogspot.com/index.html
Thanks for checking out my apron and sewing musings!
Go to Top of Page

gregs_lil_farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

219 Posts

birdi
hartford me
USA
219 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2007 :  11:40:00 AM  Show Profile  Send gregs_lil_farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Fauquier County....Is that near fredericksburg? I am an old VA girl myself..grew up between alexandria and fredericksburg....the wheeels are turning for sure. This is something to complete my kitchen...gosh it is beautiful. Road trip to Va? Thought about it when I first saw it post and thought it found a home.

-Simple pleasures make my heart smile-
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2007 :  1:14:39 PM  Show Profile
I would love to have that stove for my in-laws cabin in the country. Right now they have a propane cookstove and a small woodstove for heat. Wouldn't it be efficient to combine the two functions into one really awesome stove?

Picking it up would be a huge project, though. What with the weather and the heating bills, it would be May or June before I could arrange to come and pick it up. So I'll just be happy for whoever snaps this beauty up. Sigh....
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2007 :  09:36:31 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by gregs_lil_farmgirl

Fauquier County....Is that near fredericksburg? I am an old VA girl myself..grew up between alexandria and fredericksburg....the wheeels are turning for sure. This is something to complete my kitchen...gosh it is beautiful. Road trip to Va? Thought about it when I first saw it post and thought it found a home.

-Simple pleasures make my heart smile-

I'm about half an hour from Fredericksburg. It's just the next county down, and a very pretty drive.
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2007 :  09:40:41 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Amie C.

I would love to have that stove for my in-laws cabin in the country. Right now they have a propane cookstove and a small woodstove for heat. Wouldn't it be efficient to combine the two functions into one really awesome stove?

Picking it up would be a huge project, though. What with the weather and the heating bills, it would be May or June before I could arrange to come and pick it up. So I'll just be happy for whoever snaps this beauty up. Sigh....

Well, you never know! We can keep in touch here. It relaly is such a cool stove. When we first moved into our old farmhouse, It was still hooked up to the chimney behind it via a big black flue pipe. The previous owners claimed to have used it, but I wonder. The chimneys really aren't safe, and wouldn't have been in their time, either, but I've dreamed of how terrific it would be to bake bread and apple pies in that oven. I'd even consider creating an outdoor "old home" space to accommodate it, so it could be safely used for cooking without being exposed to rusting. I guess that's not possible, though, so....
Go to Top of Page
  *Farmgirl Barter™: Previous Topic Vintage Wood-Burning Cookstove Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page