Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Fire Cider/Master Tonic-Update 02/26
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Fire Cider/Master Tonic-Update 02/26 Next Topic  

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2864 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2864 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2017 :  1:11:16 PM  Show Profile
Have any of you made this? I am going to get the ingredients Mon. Needs to steep 4-6 weeks so I am starting late.
You can google it, but here is a cool video from Fouch_O-Matic Off Grid. By the way, the gal in the video is the daughter of Carla Emery, the author of the famous "Encyclopedia of Country Living"
If you do watch the video, please be sure to check out her little daughter's reaction at the end. And the color of her face! LOL!
PS, she posts the recipe underneath the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvUjw9AE7mk

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.

Edited by - nubidane on Feb 26 2017 09:59:32 AM

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2017 :  1:32:02 PM  Show Profile
Lisa, I watched the video and it's very interesting but it's way too smoking hot for me. Let us know how yours turns out and how you handled the heat.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2017 :  5:51:36 PM  Show Profile
Oooh! I'll have to check that out, Lisa - I've never heard of it before! But I sure do like checking out a good Fouch O'Matic video every now and then! ;) Thank you!!!! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2864 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2864 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2017 :  6:39:17 PM  Show Profile
Update 02/26:

Well, I've been steeping this for close to 5 weeks, and strained and bottled today. But I couldn't bear to throw away all of those veggies. So I removed the lemons, and pulsed the rest up in the Vita Mix. I will freeze into cubes, and use to liven up anything that needs it. It has horseradish, ginger, onion, garlic, cayenne and jalapeno. So I guess I what mean, it is mighty flavorful!!

Here is my attempt. I followed the recipe in the video to a T. It smells wonderful, and I have tried a sip or 2. It is VERY SPICY, but I can see how this will be a great addition to recipes, especially salads, in addition to keeping on hand for immunity building. I keep staring at it, like it is going to steep overnight, when I know it needs at least a month. HAHA.
Next year, I will make this in late summer, so it is ready in the fall when the colds and flu hits.

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.

Edited by - nubidane on Feb 26 2017 10:04:25 AM
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2017 :  10:40:07 AM  Show Profile
Lisa - Due to EXTREMELY slow internet, I can no longer watch videos. Would you be willing to send me the recipe??? Thank you so very very much!!!

~ Shannon, Sister # 5349
Farmgirl of the Month - January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2864 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2864 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2017 :  3:50:33 PM  Show Profile
Shannon, here is the recipe I used:
-1 lb horseradish, peeled and sliced
-1 lb ginger root, peeled and sliced
-3-4 onions, peeled and sliced
-3 HEADS (not cloves) garlic, peeled and chopped
-3-4 lemons, roughly chopped
-3-5 jalapenos, sliced
-2T rosemary
-2T thyme
-1-2 T cayenne pepper (I started with 1, but added a bit more about a week later)
Cover with apple cider vinegar (I used Braggs), and let steep for 4-6 weeks. I went 5.
Then strain, and store in bottles. Take a "shot" to boost immunity.
The smell of this is so nice, but I do have a palette that craves savory and spicy. It will be great as an addition to salads.
Actually, the steeping made it less hot. To me it is like a very strong flavored vinegar.
I just couldn't bear to waste those veggies after I strained, so I pureed them too.
Also, I have a feeling that my horseradish root was a bit weak. I have heard horror stories about grating horseradish, and while I only chopped mine, it was not bad at all.
Let me know if you try this!

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2017 :  4:58:28 PM  Show Profile
Thank you so much!!!! I'm going to have hubby buy the stuff tomorrow!!!

~ Shannon, Sister # 5349
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2017 :  5:10:35 PM  Show Profile
love the kids helping out and getting so involved and laughing!!! Great recipe share and going to do this week!!! Thanks for sharing!!

Farmgirl #7703
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2864 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2864 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2017 :  6:40:32 PM  Show Profile
I just looked at the video again and she said 1-2 teaspoons of cayenne, not tablespoons(although I swear I did a tablespoon!)
Also, you should grate the lemons and add the grated peel before you chop the whole lemon and add those.
Sorry!

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2017 :  2:55:28 PM  Show Profile
Lisa - Another question - Did the video say anything against using a food processor? I'm thinking that might be easier to grate everything. Also, what size jar??? I have my ingredients - hoping to make it tomorrow.

~ Shannon, Sister # 5349
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2864 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2864 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2017 :  07:44:28 AM  Show Profile
Sorry Shannon, we lost power for 3 days. I think a food processor would be fine. THey are off grid so that was likely not an option for them. I would just roughly chop

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2017 :  08:00:33 AM  Show Profile
Oh gracious! Are you guys doing alright? Did you lose any food?

Thanks for the help - I have it started :) my horseradish most definitely made my eyes water, and I used a food processor! YIKES!!!

~ Shannon, Sister # 5349
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2864 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2864 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2017 :  07:57:02 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Shannon.
We have a wood burning stove with a grill insert, so we kept warm and were able to cook easily. We also have a small generator that we alternated a couple hrs a day to keep the freezer food frozen. We had just gotten a 1/4 side of local beef, so man I was quite worried about that.
I've been "swigging" my cider here and there, and may start another batch, as I have about half of the horseradish left and quite a bit of ginger. I might try to get some more horseradish, as mine is definitely weak.
Let me know after you get yours done!

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2017 :  09:36:37 AM  Show Profile
Hi Lisa - I've watched that video several times now! I am dying to give this a try... I am having a tough time finding horseradish rood, though. Would it be terrible to use stuff from a jar if I can't find any? Also, are you using it in recipes as well, or just as a health tonic? I would love to try this in a marinade or salad dressing! For the life of me, I just cannot get over that their children drink this, given the spice and heat! LOL! Amazing!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2864 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2864 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2017 :  4:25:12 PM  Show Profile
I got mine at Kroger. Do you have those in PA? Maybe an Asian market? I would venture to say that jarred would be OK.
So far, I have been drinking it straight. But I have a very SAVORY palette. I eat jarred pepperoncinis to the tune of 2-3 jars a week.
Now mind you, I think that my horseradish was weak. But, I do not find it to be overwhelmingly hot. The main flavors I taste are the vinegar and the lemon, layered with heat. It would be EXCELLENT for an addition to salads.
I just love the little girl in the end, saying "kind of spicy, but good" Bless her heart

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2017 :  07:15:25 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Lisa! No, I don't have a Kroger near me, but my Mom does where she lives. If I have time, I'll check it out next time we're visiting them!

That's a lot of spicy pepperoncinis, girlfriend! But I hear you! I hear you!!! ;) My favorite snack is raw vegetables doused in vinegar... And I DRINK the vinegar!!! LOL!

Those children are absolutely adorable. They seem so sweet, don't they?! I love their Christmas videos!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Mar 07 2017 07:16:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2017 :  4:00:08 PM  Show Profile
Nini....mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....I love a tall glass of cold water, ice and good organic vinegar in the summer time when it's hot. It hits the spot. In winter I make a mug of vinegar, hot water and honey when I'm sick.
I made fire cider for my mom when she was sick a couple years ago. I loved the taste. Come to think of it...I always like the unusual stuff. *giggle*

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
FGOTM:Jan.2012
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
"Hey...Don't Make Me Put My Hands On My Hips!"
"The serious go through life blowing far too few raspberries!"
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2017 :  06:46:24 AM  Show Profile
my tonic is almost done. Excited!!!

~ Shannon, Sister # 5349
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2864 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2864 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2017 :  6:18:40 PM  Show Profile
Let me know Shannon! With your crew, you are going to have to make this by the gallons! (for those brave enough to drink it..haha)

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2017 :  3:27:52 PM  Show Profile
So I just drained my concoction... definitely has a bite!!! I am dehydrating the remaining veggies, then I will pulverize them and add them to our food... or maybe to a salad dressing. Hmmmm. In any case, it is good, but definitely has some bite! I didn't end up with that much liquid though.... Thinking next time I need to use a container bigger than a gallon to get more ACV in it!

~ Shannon, Sister # 5349
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2864 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2864 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2017 :  3:48:59 PM  Show Profile
I know Shannon. It doesn't make as much liquid as I would have hoped, but then again, it's just the hubby and me.
I have utilized it in salad and slaw dressings and it is so good in both.
Have also marinated some pork with some of my cubes that I made with the leftover veges. Turned out good!

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2017 :  3:50:33 PM  Show Profile
So ar two of the children have tried it... the one really likes it... the other not so much, hahahaha

~ Shannon, Sister # 5349
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2864 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2864 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2017 :  4:26:13 PM  Show Profile
That's what the lady that made the video said. Some loved it, others not so much!

Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2017 :  6:51:18 PM  Show Profile
Dreamer42 April Tovar this is the recipe I was telling you about! GOOD stuff!!!

Farmgirl #7703
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

Dreamer42
True Blue Farmgirl

2682 Posts

April
Central Oregon
USA
2682 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2017 :  7:18:30 PM  Show Profile
Thank you, Dianna! Interesting, will have to try!

Dreamer42
Farmgirl Sister #7038
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Fire Cider/Master Tonic-Update 02/26 Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page