Printer Friendly
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic We moved cattle yesterday Next Topic  

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2017 :  06:06:02 AM  Show Profile
What a big ordeal. We drove our cattle 5 1/2 miles home to pasture so we can calve them out in Feb. We always start having babies around Valentines Day. I thought it would be fun to show some of the pics and how modern day cattle wranglers really move their cattle. It has changed a lot. I followed with a pickup. It was 19 degrees and the wind was blowing. I felt so sorry for our guys. And yes, for the most part NW Ks is very flat.

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2017 :  06:49:47 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for sharing the pictures! A couple of years ago, I was out in Idaho to visit my brother and he took me on the ATV down across the brush into Nevada. We were just driving across a dam and I noticed lots of manure and said "Wow -- looks like there have been a fair few cattle across here." We came around the next little curve at the other end of the dam and there was a herd of black angus being moved along by cowboys on horseback, hemmed in on the sides by some wonderful dogs. It was so much fun to watch how they all worked together -- I wanted to follow them all day.

Your sunshine looks lovely -- glad you got THAT big job done!

Farmgirl #6318
"Where there's a will -- there's probably a family fight."
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2017 :  07:02:58 AM  Show Profile
Kem love your pictures.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

firecatinc
True Blue Farmgirl

1252 Posts

Lenora
Fulks Run VA
USA
1252 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2017 :  5:19:05 PM  Show Profile
Kem, neat pics. Is it easier in the atv's than horse back?

Nora
Farmgirl Sister #7131
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2017
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2017 :  02:21:23 AM  Show Profile
thanks for sharing your cattle move. That is quite the hike for all. Very cool to see how others do it.

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4708 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4708 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2017 :  04:41:36 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for sharing the pictures! That is quite a herd you have there. I hope you have very healthy calves next month.

Dawn in IL

"Don’t let anyone ever tell you that this country isn’t great, that somehow we need to make it great again" Michelle Obama
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2017 :  7:31:00 PM  Show Profile
Thanks everyone for the comments. I can't believe I still live a life where we are the last of a dying breed. Lenora, I think it is much easier with ATVs. Our son also owns horses, but they get spooked or jumpy. The ATVs do exactly what you want it to do. A really good horse can do the same too, but that is what they chose to use that day. Plus it was very windy and horses don't like things like tumbleweeds that are on the move, etc.
Go to Top of Page

AFinkberry
True Blue Farmgirl

310 Posts

Ally
Kalama Washington
310 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2017 :  11:49:17 AM  Show Profile
Kem, I didn't see in the pictures, but do you have any dogs that help out?

Ally
Farmgirl Sister #5672

"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness." ~His Holiness the Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2017 :  07:23:08 AM  Show Profile
Our dogs stay at home. They are not the type you would use to herd cattle. Ours are more for protection and keep coyotes, coons, etc away.
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2972 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2972 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2017 :  09:58:46 AM  Show Profile
Love the pictures. I hope you share some when the babies start arriving. Do the guys still have cowboy hats in warmer weather? I read an article in a magazine a while back about a family (I think they are in Canada) that slowly move their herd all spring and summer and then in the winter they sometimes do a cattle drive for a couple weeks or sometimes just load them up on trailers because they don't have the help or time for the traditional cattle drive. Times are changing, but sometimes that's not all bad. (I'm not sure I'd want to sleep out in the cold/wet weather for a couple weeks if I didn't have to!)

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month
http://nndairy.blogspot.com/

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2017 :  12:36:10 PM  Show Profile
My husband wears a baseball type hat all the seeds dealers give away to farmers. My son wears a cowboy hat, wrangler jeans, and snap western shirts and is good lookin enough to be on a calendar (sorry, had to brag a little). Anything goes. My brother farms in shorts and t-shirts in the summer. Everyone has their own style.
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic We moved cattle yesterday Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page