MarieBee54
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Marie
Portland OR
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2016 :  11:19:52 PM  Show Profile
Hi there! I joined the Sisterhood a couple of months back but this is the first time I've posted anything. I've just been reading and trying to get the lay of the land.

This summer, I moved back to my home state of Oregon after 16 years living in Connecticut, so this is something of a transition year for me (we are also building a home) so I am looking forward to making new connections. And I am really excited about the whole idea of earning merit badges - that just seems like such fun! I am already a quilter, so that seems like the place to start but I am also going to work on the emergency preparedness badge, which seems like a smart thing to do now that I live in earthquake country.

Anyway, I just figured it was time to quit skulking around the forum and introduce myself. I hope I've done it right!

"Stepping back, you see there had been a design all along, and a designer."
www.mariebostwick.com

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2016 :  11:38:31 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Marie, from northeast Texas. I'll be looking for you around the farm.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2016 :  05:12:33 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Marie from down here in sunny north Florida! We are so glad you are here. Your new home project sounds like fun and I hope you can share some photos as things progress. Doing merit badges is a great way to learn new ideas, skills, and just achieve personal goals. I am sure you will enjoy doing them and sharing with us what you have learned. It is great that you have jumped into the Forum here and I look forward to getting to know you better. Happy New Year to you and your family!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2016 :  07:27:02 AM  Show Profile
Hello Marie. We look forward to hearing about your progress with Merit Badges, quilts, and your new home. Welcome back West to Oregon. If you have any questions, don't hesitate! We're here for you.

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2016 :  07:34:21 AM  Show Profile
Hello and welcome Marie from Southern California! I look forward to hearing more about your building, quilting and living in Oregon adventures!

Jana
http://www.emhardt.com

Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes. ~Author Unknown
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt! ~Charles Schulz
Go to Top of Page

MarieBee54
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Marie
Portland OR
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2016 :  10:02:42 AM  Show Profile
Thank you for the nice welcome! I do have a question regarding merit badges. Looking over the requirements for quilting, I've fulfilled them a few times over in my lifetime. Can I just apply now and explain that? Or do I need to begin again? Also, do you apply for the badges at the various levels? Or do you wait until you've completed all three?

I have decided to start on my apron badge today. I have tons of fabric but have never made an apron. Clearly, I have been missing the fun! I'm thinking it would be fun to make a matching apron for my granddaughter as well.

www.mariebostwick.com
Go to Top of Page

firecatinc
True Blue Farmgirl

1252 Posts

Lenora
Fulks Run VA
USA
1252 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2016 :  10:39:19 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Marie. You will love it here.

Nora
Farmgirl Sister #7131
Go to Top of Page

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1016 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1016 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2016 :  8:26:41 PM  Show Profile
Hi Marie
Welcome!
I can't answer all your badge questions but I do know you can apply at each level. For example I have earned three beginning level badges. One is for knitting, one for crocheting and one for shopping green. I have received my certificates by email. I have to go to my local Fed Ex shop to print them as I don't have a colored printer. The certificates are in color and quite pretty. You can email Meg the moderator or Brian in customer service. They will have all the answers to your badge questions. Look under members by their first names to find a link to email either one.

TW

The fun begins where the pavement ends!
Go to Top of Page

DandeeRose
True Blue Farmgirl

1494 Posts

Alicia
Charlestown, IN
1494 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2016 :  04:15:21 AM  Show Profile  Send DandeeRose a Yahoo! Message
Hello Marie!! Wow that is a big move!!

Many Blessings- Alicia #5232 FGOTM May 2016
<3 OUR FARM <3
https://www.facebook.com/WinklerDerBauernhof/
https://derbauernhofsite.wordpress.com

https://www.etsy.com/shop/DandeeRose Farmgirl Accessories and more!
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2016 :  06:10:16 AM  Show Profile
Good morning and welcome to the forum Marie :) Looking forward to hearing about your badge completions and the progress you make on your home in Oregon.

~ Shannon, Sister # 5349
Farmgirl of the Month - January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2016 :  5:05:59 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Welcome from Pennsylvania, Marie. You will love the sisters here. Need a laugh, you'll get it here. Need a friend, here we are. Need a new project, recipe, instructions, encouragement, to cry or to vent you are at the right place. Happy New Year!

Be Blessed and Be a Blessing,
Darlene
Sister 1922
October 2016 Farmgirl of the month

John 11: 35 Jesus wept.

When Satan's knocking at your door, just say "Jesus will you get that for me?"

When it gets to hard to stand, Kneel!

Go to Top of Page

MarieBee54
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Marie
Portland OR
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2016 :  5:58:39 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for the nice welcome, everyone! And, Nancy, thank you for the guidance on the merit badges. I finished my apron yesterday - it came out so cute but I probably should have consulted a pattern before just diving in the way I did. Suffice it to say, there was more ripping involved that really would have been necessary if I'd thought it through a little more. I'm going to make one more for my little granddaughter, who will be 3 in March. I am flying out to Oklahoma in just a few days to help take care of her mommy and a new baby brother or sister, who should arrive on January 4th via a C-section. Thought it would be fun for us to have matching aprons so big sister can "help" me take care of the house and cooking while Mommy is recuperating. I'll post some pictures when I finish the second apron.

www.mariebostwick.com
Go to Top of Page

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1016 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1016 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2016 :  10:47:37 PM  Show Profile
Hi Marie
That is such a cute idea having matching aprons grandmother and grandchild. Hope everything goes well for your daughter and new grandbaby. Have a safe trip.

TW

Go to Top of Page

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1016 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1016 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2016 :  10:54:20 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by HealingTouch

Welcome from Pennsylvania, Marie. You will love the sisters here. Need a laugh, you'll get it here. Need a friend, here we are. Need a new project, recipe, instructions, encouragement, to cry or to vent you are at the right place..,...

Very well said Darlene. I totally agree with you.

TW

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2016 :  09:12:24 AM  Show Profile
Good morning Marie. On the badge page we do write that previous work does not count towards badges: "Everyone has to start from “scratch”; no hens get their previous accomplishments “grandmothered in.” Badges need to be earned in order (Beginner, then Intermediate, then Expert)."

Since it might feel redundant to an experienced sister to create the simple Beginner projects, we have included a teaching option for just about all the badges. For the quilting Beginner level we write: "If you already know how to quilt, teach someone how to quilt the beginner project." That way, Sisterhood members are always bringing new knowledge (through learning or teaching) to the world.

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MarieBee54
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Marie
Portland OR
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2016 :  10:18:57 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for taking time to answer my question, Mary Jane. I must have missed that part when I was reading through - lots of information to absorb. But that's okay. I'm always eager for another excuse to quilt and that's probably the only area where I would have worked through all three levels previously. I'm a mediocre knitter and crocheter at best and I've yet to attempt tatting.

Thanks, too, for creating this wonderful space for women to connect and create! I am quickly becoming addicted and having such a great time planning all the new things I want to try this year. I stumbled upon your magazine about a year ago and immediately fell in love and subscribed. Life is so busy that I only take two magazines now and I have loved every issue of yours. Sitting down with a cup of coffee for a good long read-through it is my treat to myself. I always, always find myself dog-earring the pages for recipes and projects I want to try later. Just love the positive tone and message, as well as the warmth of the writing.

Anyway, forgive me for blathering on. I just wanted to say thank you. Hope you have a wonderful 2017!

www.mariebostwick.com
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2016 :  10:45:57 AM  Show Profile
You are most welcome Marie. Thanks for making my day:) And happy quilting. If you noticed my DIL Ashley's rose quilt in the 2017 Feb/March issue, I thought you'd enjoy knonwing what a family affair her quilting has become. Brian (my son) is very involved in it and it's something they do together after the kids are in bed, or like last night when they went to a movie and then came here after to cut more fabric ("Pa" Nick--my husband--was with the grand girls for the evening and fed them copious amounts of mac & cheese). Brian does the cutting and helps with patterning and ideas and Ashley does the sewing. I'm always getting updates from the entire family about where they are in a quilt as if they were building a new home or something. It's very sweet. Brian and the girls are as involved in it as Ashley. What a great pastime quilting is as you well know. And in their case, it's a family affair.

Go to Top of Page

MarieBee54
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Marie
Portland OR
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2016 :  10:56:19 AM  Show Profile
How great! My issue just arrived yesterday. Am planning to read it this afternoon and I will definitely look for that article. I've been hinting to my husband that he should give quilting a try but, so far, he hasn't been interested. Maybe that will change when (or if) he ever retires. In the last few years, I've noticed that quite a few retired men have taken up quilting. I taught all of my boys to sew - we made stuffed animals and pillows - but they didn't continue on with it. Maybe they will later in life. My new house will have a quilting/writing studio over the garage and since I am moving closer to my parents, my stepmom and I are already making plans for weekly quilt-ins. So looking forward to that. Quilting is even more fun when you do it in the company of friends or family.

www.mariebostwick.com
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

4850 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
4850 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2016 :  11:03:53 AM  Show Profile
A Warm Tennesse Welcome! Marie! Sooooooo Much to do and so many to connect with here on MJF. I been A Farmgirl since 2011 and still learning!

Connie
Imagine....#3392
FGOTM August 2014
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2016 :  11:11:17 AM  Show Profile
And Miss Connie!!! Thank you, THANK YOU for the lovely handmade Christmas card you sent. It helped decorate our tree this year. For a while I had it leaning up against a poinsettia on our kitchen counter. You are so dear to cut out all those photos and so artfully place each and every one. Your card is being tucked away for next year.

Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2016 :  12:29:26 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
MaryJane, I think it is wonderful that Brian is involved with the quilting, as well as the girls. Most men would think it wasn't manly enough. I think it shows strength and declares that Brian knows who he is! I nominate him as FG(guy)OTM! Many precious memories are being made in his family! Way to go!

Be Blessed and Be a Blessing,
Darlene
Sister 1922
October 2016 Farmgirl of the month

John 11: 35 Jesus wept.

When Satan's knocking at your door, just say "Jesus will you get that for me?"

When it gets to hard to stand, Kneel!

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2017 :  3:08:25 PM  Show Profile
Welcome to the Farm Marie! We are so happy to have you join us! I cant wait to see which merit badges you choose to work on and see how your quilting projects turn out! Good luck with building your house and making new connections! Make sure to share updates. I will be looking for you around the forum!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2017 :  06:11:10 AM  Show Profile
Welcome, Marie. I hope you will love it here and discover lots to do. I made the opposite move a few years ago -- from Western Washington to SE Pennsylvania. Ain't life a hoot?

Farmgirl #6318
"Where there's a will -- there's probably a family fight."
Go to Top of Page

jillyd
True Blue Farmgirl

710 Posts

Jill
Saanichton British Columbia
Canada
710 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2017 :  3:21:26 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Marie from Vancouver Island, BC. I hope you enjoy belonging here as much as I have for the last year.

Jill
Farmgirl #6748
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Carole
New York
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2017 :  08:02:57 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Marie! I'm positive you will love it here! Such a great place to hang out! Cheers!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com
http://www.fibrejunction.com
Go to Top of Page

AFinkberry
True Blue Farmgirl

310 Posts

Ally
Kalama Washington
310 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2017 :  5:45:00 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Marie!
I live just a little ways North of you!

Ally
Farmgirl Sister #5672

"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness." ~His Holiness the Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic New farmgirl from Oregon Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page