Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2016 :  6:16:23 PM  Show Profile
We found at least one, possibly 2, very very neglected grape vines on our property. One is growing over a building that I am planning to use for chickens in the spring, the other is growing on an old barbed wire fence. Neither look like they have been tended at all for years.

My questions, For the one on the fence what should I do with it? I would like to actually harvest the grapes and promote growth (I won't know what kind they are until it has fruit though).

For the one on the house is it possible to transplant it somewhere? Or at least part of it. Pretty sure if I put chickens in there they won't share it :).

Just wondering what I should do to take advantage of what is already here but in a neater more useable way. I can take pictures later if that would help, of course they are all bare now.

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275
February 2016 Farmgirl of the Month
http://kidscrunchandchrist.com

Ingrid
True Blue Farmgirl

432 Posts

Ingrid
BC
Canada
432 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2016 :  06:34:27 AM  Show Profile
A few years ago I found a grapevine growing on our property that had been completely forgotten. We didn't know it was there. It had been mowed over and really neglected. I dug up what I could and transplanted it. I had no idea what kind of grapes but it turned out they were green grapes with seeds an old variety and bit tart and sweet all at the same time. It took a couple years but I did get fruit and each year since I get more. When I dug it up I cut it right back to about a foot tall and planted, manured, mulched and watered. Since then I am more careful with pruning but it worked so give it a try and see what happens. I was pleasantly surprised.

Give thanks to yourself everyday for all the wonderful things you do!
Go to Top of Page

firecatinc
True Blue Farmgirl

1252 Posts

Lenora
Fulks Run VA
USA
1252 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2016 :  3:52:38 PM  Show Profile
I believe if you cut it back, new branches will come out in the spring and you can run them any manner you wish.

Nora
Farmgirl Sister #7131
Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2016 :  05:18:49 AM  Show Profile
Great! Thanks! One needs to be moved, the other just needs to be cut back and re-trained. We will try, not like we really have anything to "lose" since we didn't know they were there to begin with!!

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275
February 2016 Farmgirl of the Month
http://kidscrunchandchrist.com

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Neglected grape vines Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page