janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2016 :  12:16:31 PM  Show Profile
Are there any farmgirls who make your own holiday gifts for families and friends? If so, what type of things do you make? I have a group of girls at work that I exchange gifts with and after many years of doing this I am running dry with ideas.

Jana
http://www.emhardt.com

Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes. ~Author Unknown
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt! ~Charles Schulz

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6677 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6677 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2016 :  11:21:34 AM  Show Profile
I am probably not much help since this will be the first year I am making my gifts. I decided to keep things small and more about the spirit rather than the gift so I am making hot pads, hats, and slippers for most of my gifts. I have been wanting to make some mason jar candles but I'm not sure if I'll get around to them.
You could always make chocolates or other tasty goodies. That's something people never get sick off!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2016 :  11:28:44 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Krista! For years I have made cookies and bars for co-workers, but here in California people are pretty health conscience and I noticed they are not going as quickly as they use too. Hence the reason for ideas. Thanks for the mason jar idea, I will do a little research for ideas.

Jana

All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt! ~Charles Schulz
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6677 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6677 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2016 :  11:40:13 AM  Show Profile
Wow that is so crazy! At my last job if anyone brought any sorts of treats they were gone by lunch! If you make the mason jar candles please share! I would love to see them! I'll keep thinking and see if I can come up with anything else.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

TinyChinaCows
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

Rebecca
Seminole County FL
USA
34 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2016 :  11:43:53 AM  Show Profile
I agree with Krista- You can't go wrong with treats! I've done homemade cookie tins before, and I'll probably try fudge this year.

There's a great Hot Cocoa Mix recipe I got from an old Cook's Country magazine: In a food processor (in two batches), pulse 3 cups nonfat dry milk, 2 cups powdered sugar, 1.5 cups dutch-process cocoa powder, 1.5 cups white-chocolate chips, and 1/4 tsp salt until chocolate is finely ground. (It helps if you put the white-chocolate chips in the freezer for a while first.) The instructions for using the mix: stir 1/3 cup into 1 cup hot milk. It's extra cute in a mason jar covered with Christmas cloth- even better if you can find a pretty 1/3 cup scoop and some good marshmallows to go with it!

Good luck, Jana! I'm sure your coworkers will love whatever you decide to make!
Go to Top of Page

TinyChinaCows
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

Rebecca
Seminole County FL
USA
34 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2016 :  11:51:17 AM  Show Profile
Or, for the health conscious, what about decorated tins full of tea? Vintage Christmas images are lots of fun to decoupage!

Edited by - TinyChinaCows on Nov 10 2016 11:51:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2016 :  12:44:48 PM  Show Profile
Great ideas and thank you! Has anyone made and given flavored popcorn? If so, could you share your recipe?

Jana

Go to Top of Page
  Holidays: Previous Topic Holiday Gifts Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page