Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

Rebecca
Seminole County FL
USA
34 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2016 :  08:11:43 AM  Show Profile
Hi everyone!

My name's Rebecca, but, since there are alot of Rebeccas around, you can call me Becca Lou. I'm so excited to join a forum with so many other farmgirls!

I grew up on a small homestead in Kansas complete with horses, chickens, rabbits, dogs, dozens of barn cats, vegetable gardens, and a lovely mulberry tree (for climbing and occasional snacking). But, now I live in a suburban apartment in Casselberry, FL with my wonderful husband. He's a city boy but very supportive of my country ways, especially when one of his favorite dress shirts needs mending or he gets to eat warm blueberry scones for breakfast. :)

My greatest dream is to have a large yard with lots of wonderful gardens full of veggies, roses, hedges, and a lovely mulberry tree... for climbing and occasional snacking.

firecatinc
True Blue Farmgirl

1252 Posts

Lenora
Fulks Run VA
USA
1252 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2016 :  08:22:28 AM  Show Profile
Welcome to the farm. You will have a blast. Check out swaps and front porch sitting. Great group of girls here.

Nora
Farmgirl Sister #7131
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6809 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6809 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2016 :  08:27:17 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Becca Lou from northeast Texas. I live in town, in a little house with a little yard and like you I am a FarmGirl at heart.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2016 :  08:28:58 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Becca Lou from Southern California. You definitely will enjoy the country community here at MJF, which will hopefully fill that void until you get that large yard. Does your apartment have a community area or do you have a balcony with good light that you can plant a few things? I live in an apartment/condo area, I love to garden, cooking, sewing, quilting, and have dreams of developing some land after retirement (in four years), when we can move away from the crowded big city life.

Jana
http://www.emhardt.com

Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes. ~Author Unknown
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt! ~Charles Schulz
Go to Top of Page

TinyChinaCows
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

Rebecca
Seminole County FL
USA
34 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2016 :  08:45:40 AM  Show Profile
Thank you, Ladies! I feel so welcome already. :)

Jana, how wonderful it will be to retire to your own little paradise! Down here, we have a very sad setup for plants. The screened porch is great for mosquito-free fresh air, but it's in total shade. Nothing really wants to grow out there. But there is a large sunny window! My husband and I just planted a couple of big plastic sweater boxes with herbs and salad greens and set them on a table in front of that window. Fingers crossed!
Go to Top of Page

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2016 :  09:05:24 AM  Show Profile
Too funny, I was going to suggest a window shelving unit like: https://www.amazon.com/Beautiful-Views-01001-Hanging-Shelves/dp/B006S8N2PS/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1478624665&sr=8-18-spons&keywords=window+growing+shelves&psc=1

Jana

All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt! ~Charles Schulz
Go to Top of Page

TinyChinaCows
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

Rebecca
Seminole County FL
USA
34 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2016 :  09:39:49 AM  Show Profile
Wow! Those shelves are beautiful! Maybe if this sweater box garden works out, I'll try some shelves next. I'd have much more gardening space! :D
Go to Top of Page

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2016 :  09:46:46 AM  Show Profile
6 inch shelves are not very wide, but it holds a lot and looks a lot nicer! Welcome again and I am here if you have any questions or want to talk.

Jana

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6693 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6693 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2016 :  10:02:28 AM  Show Profile
Welcome to the group, Becca Lou! I hope your sweater boxes of herbs and salad greens is a success. This year was my first year with a box garden and I was in love! Hopefully one day you can fulfill your greatest dream and we will all be here cheering you along! I can't wait to see you around the farm and get to know you better!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6521 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6521 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2016 :  1:17:04 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Becca Lou from up here in Gainesville, Florida!! It is wonderful to meet another Farmgirl here in our state. Looking forward to hearing more about your Farmgirl adventures down there in Seminole County!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

marjean
True Blue Farmgirl

3851 Posts

Marsha
Deltona FL
USA
3851 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2016 :  2:36:14 PM  Show Profile
Hello Becca Lou, You are just a hop, skip and a jump from me in Deltona. I'm so glad you found a nice place with other like minded women. Maybe I'll get to meet you one day.

Farmgirl sister #308
Happiness Gift Box!get 25% off your first order:
http://www.marketsofsunshine.com/p/newsletter-sign-up.html
Etsy Shops:
www.marketsofsunshine.com
Free Bible Research
www.jw.org
Go to Top of Page

TinyChinaCows
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

Rebecca
Seminole County FL
USA
34 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2016 :  5:16:56 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Winnie and Marsha! This is such a friendly forum!

I'd really be interested in joining a chapter, but I don't think there are any near me that are still active. I emailed one a couple days ago, but haven't heard back. Perhaps when the busy holiday season is through and if anyone's interested, I'll start up a chapter. I have the time for it, and it would be great to meet some fellow farmgirls! :)
Go to Top of Page

MBurns
True Blue Farmgirl

1753 Posts

Marlene
Swisher IA
USA
1753 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2016 :  2:14:10 PM  Show Profile
I winter in Sebring is that anywhere near you.

Farmgirl friends are fun.
Go to Top of Page

TinyChinaCows
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

Rebecca
Seminole County FL
USA
34 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2016 :  5:30:24 PM  Show Profile
Hi, Marlene! I think Sebring is south of me- about 2 hours. I live in the Casselberry/ Winter Park area.
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17024 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17024 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2016 :  08:45:32 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Becca Lou...
I currently live in Central Calif., but will be heading back to Spokane WA., in 2017... depending on the economy & Realestate market.
I own a small ( 1 1/4ac) plot of land near the outskirts of Ocala which is way North of you. So does that make me an almost Floridian? Lol!

Welcome to the MJF forum... now pull up a chair and join in the gab fest!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

TinyChinaCows
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

Rebecca
Seminole County FL
USA
34 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2016 :  06:24:09 AM  Show Profile
Hi, Grace! Ocala's just a couple hours away from me- lots of beautiful country between here and there. And, you can certainly be an honorary Floridian! :D
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17024 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17024 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2016 :  10:45:13 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Becca...
Some day... hopefully in 2 years hubby and I will be out to the East
Coast.... the last time I was there..about 1967... yep, way over due...
>^••^<

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2016 :  01:08:18 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Rebecca! One of my lovely milk cows calved in August. Her name is Lacy Lou and right now I have two huge wheels of cheddar cheese (thanks to Lacy Lou) in the press that I have to take out at 3 a.m. She had a boy. We named him Ian Magillicutty but if we'd gotten a girl, she was going to be named BeccaLou. Maybe her next calf will be a girl.

When my children were in diapers, my clothesline was somewhat close to a very old mulberry tree. The birds feasted there around the clock and occasionally one of them would drop a big purple you-know-what onto one of my clean white flannel diapers and I'd have to start all over again getting it clean.

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

TinyChinaCows
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

Rebecca
Seminole County FL
USA
34 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2016 :  09:09:39 AM  Show Profile
Hello, MaryJane. Congratulations on your wonderful cheese and the new addition to your cow family! What an adorable name for a little cow! :D

My name was almost Cynthia Louise, but that would've come out as "Cindy Lou"... My mother didn't want me to be associated with the residents of Whoville.

The tree from my childhood was a white mulberry, to avoid stained sidewalks. But when it comes to the more delicious red mulberries, I'm prepared to accept the odd purple stain on laundry and sidewalks! :)

Edited by - TinyChinaCows on Nov 29 2016 4:39:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Carole
New York
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2017 :  08:11:38 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Becca Lou from way Northeast of New York!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com
http://www.fibrejunction.com
Go to Top of Page
  **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Hello from Central Florida! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page