Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2016 :  11:18:17 AM  Show Profile
Hi Farmgirls,

My best friend, Andrea, is just like me. She loves holidays, and dressing up and decorating her house. We both have fun with festive touches. I decorate extensively for Halloween and Christmas, and have a few items for Valentine's Day, St. Patrick's Day, Easter, and Fourth of July. But, as my bff pointed out, I wasn't really doing much for Thanksgiving. I leave up my "fall" decor, like pumpkins, etc. but put up the Halloween themed items. But not until now did I really realize I wasn't specifically doing much for Thanksgiving.

So, I picked up a few things. I have a red turkey glass dish my mom gave me years ago, that I put out. Andrea gave me a vintage reproduction paper turkey, you know the kind that have a honeycomb body? She also gave me a snow globe of the Macy's Thanksgiving parade which will now come out, and a glass cornucopia. I also have a beanie baby from the 90's that is a turkey that sits out. I recently found a cute little Happy Thanksgiving sign to hang on my vintage treadle in the family room, and this weekend picked up a vintage turkey tray from the flea market.

I will leave all that and the fall pumpkin decor out until after Thanksgiving, when on Black Friday I will start with Christmas.

Do you decorate for Thanksgiving? Just curious, and what is it you decorate with?

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6785 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6785 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2016 :  11:52:52 AM  Show Profile
Nicole I don't decorate for any holiday anymore. I do seasons and I'm happy with that. Each year I like to celebrate the seasons more and more and all the holiday trappings I like less and less. I do make one concession at Christmas I display my small collection of moose. They just seem to belong in my little house.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13564 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13564 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2016 :  2:42:15 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
I usually do apple décor during September and then change to fall in October/November but nothing REAL specific for Thanksgiving. I figure the fall décor covers it. I would only add Thanksgiving themed plates, napkins, etc. for a meal.
Then it's Christmas!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2016 :  4:37:15 PM  Show Profile
Hay there,

Hmmmmm. Ya'll have got my wheels turning. I have the beanies and a few other items that haven't been used the way they should have been used.....coz they are in storage!! I'm into each room of this house purging and/or sanding and painting so I will go fetch those and make a few focal points around my home... Gonna make it a home .. not just a house!

Hugs and prayers, Daizy #1093
Poor House Farmgirl Chapter {A virtual chapter open to everyone.}
A good day is when you find ALL your ear tags! I wonder how my cows would like my Farmgirl apron??
www.poorhouseparadise.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

DandeeRose
True Blue Farmgirl

1500 Posts

Alicia
Charlestown, IN
1500 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2016 :  4:59:11 PM  Show Profile  Send DandeeRose a Yahoo! Message
We have a small Fall themed menagerie of sorts on the table.

Many Blessings- Alicia #5232 FGOTM May 2016
<3 OUR FARM <3
https://www.facebook.com/WinklerDerBauernhof/
https://derbauernhofsite.wordpress.com

https://www.etsy.com/shop/DandeeRose Farmgirl Accessories and more!
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2016 :  5:47:06 PM  Show Profile
My mom has this cute little pilgrim she sets out at Thanksgiving. I never really thought about that I didn't really have Thanksgiving specific pieces until my friend mentioned it to me. :)

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4712 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4712 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2016 :  6:35:16 PM  Show Profile
I do decorate for Thanksgiving. In September I bring out the autumn decorations, then I add the Halloween ones in October. I swap the Halloween ones out for Thanksgiving. I don't want to think about what comes after that!

It is getting harder and harder to find Thanksgiving decorations. It has truly become a forgotten holiday in the stores. Have fun finding Thanksgiving items for your home.

Dawn in IL

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses." Abraham Lincoln
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2016 :  8:09:12 PM  Show Profile
I found the cutest little pair of vintage tom turkey candles at our thrift store. I had to buy them and put them out. I never decorate for Thanksgiving, but guess I am this year.
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6513 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6513 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2016 :  06:32:21 AM  Show Profile
My Thanksgiving consists of a continuation of my general fall decorations. I put away all of the Halloween things and bring out an old Annalee Turkey doll and a Pilgrim painting that I love. I also always hand Indian corn on the front door and keep a pumpkin on the porch. For me, November is that month that we finally start to have days, here and there, of cooler nights and a few cooler days. Fall here i Florida is very muted but November is when changes happen. Since I love Fall, I relish in the whole beauty of a harvest idea. Thanksgiving is also one of my very favorite holidays and I refuse to rush into Christmas until the calendar turns to December. I love your idea of bringing out a family dishes and vintage decorations. I think Thanksgiving lends itself to family traditions, both past and present, and surrounding yourself with those memories and making new ones. There is nothing sweeter than a vintage turkey platter displayed and ready for the big day! Have fun this year getting a few things to celebrate this great fall holiday.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2204 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2204 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2016 :  09:49:18 AM  Show Profile
Our local grocery store, Publix, sells Pilgrim salt and pepper shakers - not only the mom and dad, but boy and girl, too. I set them out, and add turkey salt and pepper shakers.

Farmgirl Sister #6754
Doxie Mom - Everyone loves a Weiner!

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6677 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6677 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2016 :  11:12:07 AM  Show Profile
I decorate for Thanksgiving! I hate how it's the one big holiday that is over looked and forgotten about. I have some wood block decorations that I made for Thanksgiving as well as hand towels, dish cloths, solar dancers, and even old projects I made in school. I am always looking for new things to add to my collection.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

lovinRchickens
True Blue Farmgirl

3435 Posts

Kelly
Pipe Creek Texas
USA
3435 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2016 :  3:02:29 PM  Show Profile
I decorate for Thanksgiving here also. I have a small tree, pilgrims, scarecrows, lots of pumpkins. Love to keep them up until day after Thanksgiving.

Farmgirl #5111
Farmgirl of the month October 2014
Blessings
~Kelly~
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2016 :  06:12:34 AM  Show Profile
I had so much fun decorating for Thanksgiving/fall yesterday. I sprayed a my lantern and ugly avocado green planter with oil rubbed bronze spray paint, let it dry and went to work. This is the display I came up with. All of it was from garage sales or thrift stores except for the larger wooded pumpkin. I love it when a plan comes together and I get to use my creativity.
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6513 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6513 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2016 :  11:33:17 AM  Show Profile
Kem, your project turned out great! I know you are going to enjoy looking at it the rest of the season too!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2016 :  5:24:16 PM  Show Profile
Winnie, I have enjoyed it so much. I am ready to do another crafty session.
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2204 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2204 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2016 :  04:40:35 AM  Show Profile

This is a bit of my office decoration. I won the dachsund vignette from Dachstoberfest a few weeks ago, and the victim..... ummm turkey is a salt shaker.

Farmgirl Sister #6754
Doxie Mom - Everyone loves a Weiner!

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2016 :  06:29:02 AM  Show Profile
Audra Rose - too funny!

I have a few Thanksgiving pieces but not much. I put away all the Halloween items and bring those few things I have out at the beginning of November. It is hard to find them!

I got some things from Hallmark years ago. Picked up a cute little copper metal turkey tea light holder at a garage sale this spring. And I got a cute little wooden sign that says Happy Thanksgiving at the Shipshewana Flea Market last year.

I have a turkey made from a pinecone and construction paper/googly eyes that DS and I did together last year too :)

I have a project I want to do for next year - a white frame holding brown kraft paper that has been written on, lots and lots of lines, in black ink, with all the things we are grateful for. Then I'll use the Cricut to cut out the word Grateful in white vinyl and put that in the center of the glass in the frame, so that it sits on top of the writing in the background. I plan to get a list from DH and DS this year of all the things they are grateful for, I'll add mine, randomly mix the list up and use that for the project. I have the frame already - garage sale find! - just need to paint and antique the frame a bit.
Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2016 :  06:31:25 AM  Show Profile
Oh, another thing I want to do is make a Mayflower! Have you seen those projects, where you make the boat part from felt or kraft paper and then make the masts, sails, etc. ? Would be really cute as a Thanksgiving centerpiece on the table I think!
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17017 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17017 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2016 :  08:22:31 AM  Show Profile
Well geepers creepers!...
I have not done much decorating for Turkey day since we moved back to Calif... mostly because we are not home... usually on the road between mom 's and cousins...
I put out a few wool penny rugs (table toppers) yesterday... but alas, that's about it...
BUT.... I am going to over~dose this year with Christmas deco....
HoHoHo!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6677 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6677 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2016 :  10:13:39 AM  Show Profile
Kem, your display looks fabulous! It's very festive.

Vanessa, your office decorations make me laugh! That is just to funny!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2016 :  07:45:01 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I have cornstalks from my garden this year and six hay bales stacked on my front porch in a stair step pattern. I have pumpkins that I still need to get out as we got a bit rushed before halloween but they work nicely for decorations for fall. I think I have some zucchini left that got too big that I might put out as well. I have a craft fair this weekend but after that I am hoping to get some more decorations put up. I refuse to put up any Christmas Decorations until it is actually December, but it usually takes me almost to Valentines Day to convince myself to put them all way again. I love the holidays!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6513 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6513 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2016 :  05:20:47 AM  Show Profile
Vanessa, your Thanksgiving set up is darling. Just so cute!

Alee, you should post a photo of your Fall set up this year. It sounds wonderful with all of the natural elements!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2016 :  07:52:46 AM  Show Profile
Kem and Vanessa, LOVE your displays! I have "gussied" up my treadle sewing machine. It's got a "Happy Thanksgiving" sign hanging from the drawer and a musical snowglobe of the Macy's Thanksgiving parade on top. Now my bff bought me some more vintage Thanksgiving to put out, lol. She got me two 1970's ceramic turkeys and a nice vintage wicker cornucopia. I'm her "Thanksgiving Decor" mission now. :)

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2016 :  11:10:15 PM  Show Profile
I love Thanksgiving decorating.i have two antique turkeys, old postcards, mini Indian corn I grew in the garden, a quilt I made from a ready made panel, a whimsical pilgrim riding a turkey and his wife holding pumpkin pie,two Indians and a pumpkin that says give thanks;and also towels and placemats. I don't put up Christmas until the first Sunday of advent. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2016 :  3:06:11 PM  Show Profile
Hi girls! I love decorating for autumn and Thanksgiving... I don't have my camera readily available, but here are a few decorations from the past that might give you some inspiration:

Happy Thanksgiving, girls!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2016 :  09:42:56 AM  Show Profile
Nini, very nice. I use to dislike the fall colors and now they are my favorite.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Holidays: Previous Topic Do you decorate for Thanksgiving? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page