Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 Found my bit of Heaven, the saga begins!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own:  Found my bit of Heaven, the saga begins! Next Topic
Page: of 23

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2204 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2204 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2020 :  05:05:50 AM  Show Profile
Last Saturday I bought a cushaw squash. It weighed as much as a well fed baby. On Monday I cut it up, baked it, and made a pie from part of the flesh (oops, sounds like I'm a wicked witch).

We bring treats to work on Tuesdays when we assemble the paper. My boss had told me how her mother made cushaw pie, which led me to try making one. This one is different, it has a Graham cracker crust, but is delicious.
I've saved the seeds from baby Cushaw and will be sending them out in swaps.

Farmgirl Sister #6754
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2020 :  1:18:41 PM  Show Profile
Hi Vanessa---thank-you so much for your nice letter and the seeds. I love spaghetti squash and it will go in the ground next spring for sure. Your letter brightened my day . I do appreciate hearing from you. I have been looking at every one's posts and keeping up on all of the goings on---but I have been creeping around like I'm 90 years old and just doing my chores. I hurt my leg hiking in the woods a while back---I could barely walk and still I refused to go to the doctor. Horrible aching pain. Better now and not so grouchy---LOL. Then my ear stopped up and I could barely hear---that was so fun---and then my neck locked up and started hurting. I have never hurt so bad in all my life and all I wanted to do was keep quiet and do the best I could. About recovered now. I will write you back. I love to get letters. That looks like such a good pie. I too use winter squash instead of pumpkin---it cooks up thicker and I think it tastes better. Always love to read what you are up too. You have such a good life.

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page

VegiChik
True Blue Farmgirl

103 Posts

Sharon L
Gaylord MI
USA
103 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2020 :  2:46:18 PM  Show Profile
I laughed Audra Rose when you said you made your pie from the flesh. I had a Great Aunt who years ago wanted to try to make a pumpkin pie from a real pumpkin instead of buying it in a can. She did not know where to start so was told by a relative to just use the "insides". So she did: seeds & all! That little deed followed her all her life, story retold each holiday season!
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2204 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2204 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2020 :  07:29:50 AM  Show Profile
I am gobsmacked. My workplace plays a Christian music radio station and I usually tune it out because the songs aren't my style. Yesterday I noticed that they began playing Christmas music! Awful! Can't they wait? By the middle of December ill be tired of the songs.

Farmgirl Sister #6754
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2020 :  09:22:34 AM  Show Profile
So true---Thanksgiving is just about skipped these days. I like to hear Christmas music the first of December. I too don't like modern Christian music---Christian rock---just listen to real rock or not. Once while I was in college we visited a friend and we heard loud rock music---we thought we were at the wrong house as our friend had just smashed up all his rock albums after becoming a Christian. So funny---he said Christian rock was OK---but it sounded the same to us. I love to hear Elvis sing gospel music.

Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2204 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2204 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2020 :  12:17:47 PM  Show Profile
Our property is a turkey refuge!

Farmgirl Sister #6754
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2020 :  12:41:17 PM  Show Profile
I received a free turkey and apple pie from work and a free pumpkin pie from our realtor. However, turkey has not thawed even though I took it out of the freezer on Monday. We will instead have a baked chicken breast, roast potatoes, steamed brussels sprouts, green beans and a snap pea salad. And then the PIE!

Marie
Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2204 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2204 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2020 :  6:07:38 PM  Show Profile
Happy Thanksgiving, Oggie!

Farmgirl Sister #6754
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2860 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2860 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2020 :  09:35:09 AM  Show Profile
Vannessa! We woke up to the same thing yesterday morning.
I told hubs it was out Thanksgiving hello from the gaggle!
I love when lying in bed and hearing their call
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2204 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2204 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2020 :  04:28:30 AM  Show Profile
Yesterday we went to Mammoth Cave. I'd never been in the cave, and this was a great chance to show Mia part of Kentucky. It was amazing! Everyone was taking precautions to stay safe. I'm afraid a ranger heard me when I told Mia, "quick, grab a rock!" There were no small stones within reach anyway.
The best part was the walking- I worked off a bit of Thanksgiving dinner.

Farmgirl Sister #6754
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2020 :  09:03:33 AM  Show Profile
Ha Ha Ha! Remember when Mom would steal plants wherever she went? She stole a fern from the Como Conservatory in St Paul MN and she brought a plant home from Germany. I was afraid it would become an invasive species.

Marie
Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2204 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2204 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2020 :  7:34:45 PM  Show Profile
She always said they grew best!

This is the new deck off of my mother-in-law's porch. In summer, she will be able to enjoy the view.

Vanessa
Farmgirl Sister #6754
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2204 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2204 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2020 :  11:58:03 AM  Show Profile
I am sad. My husband called to tell me he accidentally backed over and killed our cat, Trip Hazard. Trip followed me home from a walk and was growing into a fine mouser, but accidents happen. Luckily, we already have a "pet cemetery"area, and that's where he will rest.

Vanessa
Farmgirl Sister #6754
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2204 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2204 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2020 :  03:54:25 AM  Show Profile
I transitioned to bifocal contact lenses, but I won't wear them anymore. The lenses are more domed than regular contacts, and they can suction on to an eyeball. I paid a lot for them and wanted to give them a chance. Last night when I got home from work I tried to take them out . The left lens came out easily, but I've always had trouble with the right one. It wouldn't come out and my eye got red and sore around 7 my sweetie offered to take me to urgent care but I was stubborn and said "no I'm fine". Then at 9 I realized I couldn't sleep with them. He nicely took me to the ER after only 10 or so "I told you so". The doctor had to pooch the lens off my eyeball with a swab, with my trying to keep my eye open and relax. Thank goodness it was a quiet night and I was taken care of right away. After a goo nights sleep my eye feels better.

Vanessa
Farmgirl Sister #6754
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2020 :  07:42:34 AM  Show Profile
Vanessa---I am so sorry about your kitty cat. Much sadness. Hubby ran over our little dog on his way to work and killed her,---I cried for days. It was dark and evil Walmart do call. I too got contacts stuck on my eye and we were going on a trip the next morning---I finally got it out and I said never again! And yes when I got to my friends house in NC---they all said my eye looked horrid---glasses for me forever!

Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2204 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2204 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2020 :  1:52:00 PM  Show Profile
Maybe this belongs on Farmgirl Kitchen. I made pig candy today and am in hog heaven. Its an easy recipe: roll bacon in dark brown sugar and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. This is from The Sweet Potato Queens book, so you know it is gen u wine. To keep clean up easy, I line broiler pans with foil.

Vanessa
Farmgirl Sister #6754
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2204 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2204 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2020 :  5:15:58 PM  Show Profile
I had to show off the special totebags that I'm giving to my boss and coworkers. I chose the prettiest front pages during the year and had them printed on canvas bags. These are limited edition goodies!

Vanessa
Farmgirl Sister #6754
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2204 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2204 Posts

Posted - Dec 25 2020 :  05:35:27 AM  Show Profile

Merry Christmas to everyone!

Vanessa
Farmgirl Sister #6754
Go to Top of Page

naturemaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

2568 Posts

Connie - Farmgirl #673
Hoosick Falls NY
USA
2568 Posts

Posted - Dec 25 2020 :  05:38:00 AM  Show Profile
merry christmas! we are in our new home. we got 20" of snow less than a week ago and now its gone and its raining!

Vintage sewing machines, original parts & related book titles.- http://www.thriftyfarmgirl.com/

Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2204 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2204 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2020 :  12:26:40 PM  Show Profile
My favorite magazine besides MJF is Victoria. It is more of a fine-living magazine with and emphasis on England and France. I wrote a letter and it is in the latest issue!

Vanessa
Farmgirl Sister #6754
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2204 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2204 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2021 :  03:07:43 AM  Show Profile

This is my 2021 resolution: I will start collecting the hair from my hairbrush every day and see how much I have for the entire year. The picture above is the old wad of hair, goodness knows how long I've been adding to it.

Vanessa
Farmgirl Sister #6754
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2204 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2204 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2021 :  11:18:25 AM  Show Profile

Going to the Newport Aquarium with Mia. It is extremely cold!

Vanessa
Farmgirl Sister #6754
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2204 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2204 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2021 :  07:09:18 AM  Show Profile

Yesterday a package arrived from Mia's parents in Germany. It contained Christmas gifts, a little kate but still appreciated. The blue can is Nuremberg levkuchen, there are glazed nuts, chocolate pretzels and Lindt chocolates,and loose tea, along with boxes of homemade cookies and candies. Most of the goodies I'll share with my co workers.

Vanessa
Farmgirl Sister #6754
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2204 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2204 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2021 :  03:14:27 AM  Show Profile
It has been quiet here in my home, sort of like Lake Woebegon, but my husband has been seeing a fox (or foxes) as he drives farther down the road. He wonders how they survive. Me, I suspect their instincts help them. As I looked out the bedroom window yesterday I could see the dark forms of deer as they crossed the snow covered yard. Oskar always goes with me when I feed the birds and wildlife and he chased them, but they returned for breakfast.

Vanessa
Farmgirl Sister #6754
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2204 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2204 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2021 :  3:01:07 PM  Show Profile
Its been a nasty day today, so I cooked Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup from Laura Knippers, rye bread, chicken salad, and crustless pumpkin pie. Tuna steaks for dinner.
The weather is supposed to be worse overnight with icy roads. We had a scare when my mother-in-law fell and bumped her head, so we are keeping an eye on her.

Vanessa
Farmgirl Sister #6754
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 23 A Farm of My Own:  Found my bit of Heaven, the saga begins! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page