GoatieGirl
Farmgirl in Training

28 Posts

Melody
Cochranton Pa
USA
28 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2016 :  10:01:00 AM  Show Profile
Fall Archery opens tomorrow in Pennsylvania. It's a beautiful time to be in the woods. Our supply of venison is running out and it's time to stock up for winter.
I look forward to Hunting Season each year. Not because i'm a cruel animal eater, but because it gives me time to reflect on the beauty of nature and it brings my family and friends together for some great memories.
My husband is an avid hunter and will spend most of his time in the woods from now until January.I enjoy the thrill of adventure with him. We rely heavily on the meat that we harvest. It doesn't get any more organic than Wild Game! The memories that we create as a family last a lifetime, and I wouldn't trade this time of year for anything!

How many of my farmgirls out there enjoy hunting? Any great hunt stories that you would like to share? I'd love to hear them, and see pictures of your harvests!

Sister #6700

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2016 :  10:13:06 AM  Show Profile
Melody I'm not a hunter but through the years I have eaten the fruits of hunters. One year it was wild boar that a friend's husband shot as they destroyed his wheat fields. Another time it was venison chili prepared by a family member.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6699 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6699 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2016 :  10:36:18 AM  Show Profile
Melody, I'm not a hunter either but my husband has recently begun hunting with some family and friends and he loves it. Last year he was unable to get anything due to our weather. This year he has high hopes and can't stop talking about it. He leaves this weekend to start the hunt and I hope he has a blast!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

GoatieGirl
Farmgirl in Training

28 Posts

Melody
Cochranton Pa
USA
28 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2016 :  5:53:15 PM  Show Profile
Well, deer hunting season has come and gone. I unfortunately, had very bad luck! I sat out every chance I had during archery season and December Rifle season and was not able to get a deer, despite all of my husband's help. So I'm looking forward to next year for another chance. My hubby had some luck on the very last day of fall Archery. He got a beautiful 9 point buck and we got nearly 50 pounds of venison in the freezer.

Now it's trapping season here in Pennsylvania. My husband has about 25 traps set along the local creek. He's hoping to catch a large beaver.

Sister #6700
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2016 :  7:00:29 PM  Show Profile
Melody - Hoping your hubby has luck with the trapping, as I understand the need for wild game to help put food on the table! We were blessed this year with almost 4 deer from a local farmer who receives deer tags from the state, as the deer tear up his crops and hay for his cattle.

~ Shannon, Sister # 5349
Farmgirl of the Month - January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

GoatieGirl
Farmgirl in Training

28 Posts

Melody
Cochranton Pa
USA
28 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2017 :  10:49:36 AM  Show Profile
Shannon - I bet you're putting that venison to good use! The farm tags are a blessing to those who need the meat! Our goal is to someday be able to sustain for 1 year on the wild game meat and fish that we have harvested.

Sister #6700
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2017 :  1:51:01 PM  Show Profile
We really are Melody!!! With a family of 9, it doesn't go as far as if there were fewer of us, but it is mighty good!!!! We want to start fishing as well, but are waiting until we've been here awhile so we can get an instate license.

~ Shannon, Sister # 5349
Farmgirl of the Month - January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

LitlleBit
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

Roxanne
Pleasant Hill Missouri
15 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2017 :  4:49:56 PM  Show Profile
Melody, what do you use for your bow?

I am getting a traditional bow and know my draw length is 24 1/2 inches. So without getting a special order bow, I've been told I need to get a 50# bow to compensate for the shorter draw length if I want to hunt deer. Which I do want to try my hand at, at some point in the future. Not sure if I can even shoot at a deer. The last time I had anyone measure my draw strength it was around 35#. Don't even know which arrows to get. But I got a foam square target for practice at Christmas!

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!
Go to Top of Page

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1019 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1019 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2017 :  1:05:52 PM  Show Profile
Hi Melody
My hubby and I are target archers. I have a Mission Menace compound bow. I am small in height (but not weight unfortunately). He has a Mission bow as well but I don't remember the model. We love it. We have an indoor range just down the street from us. We also like to go out to BLM land with our kits and firearms for practice. We plan to have a range on our property when we retire. I haven't been hunting myself just target shooting. It is awesome that more gals are into archery and hunting. As far as the cruel animal eater part not to worry. It is the cycle of life. Being out in the woods is just as much a part of it as anything else. Some people just don't understand this. Yet you will see these people in line at McDonald's every week. Personally if you consume what you hunt and not kill for sport only you are alright by me. Good luck with your hunt.

TW

The fun begins where the pavement ends!
Go to Top of Page

GoatieGirl
Farmgirl in Training

28 Posts

Melody
Cochranton Pa
USA
28 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2017 :  5:36:47 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Nancy,
We use every bit of the meat that we can, and we enjoy every minute of it!

Roxanne,
I'm glad to hear that you've taken an interest in archery! By traditional bow, do you mean a recurve or a long bow? I use a compound bow for archery hunting. In Pennsylvania you must be able to shoot a minimum of 35 pounds to deer hunt. I started at 35 and practiced my way to 45 pounds. I'm working my way to 50 now, and will soon shoot now at an indoor winter league for practice. I use a woman's beginner model Hoyt "Rukus" and I love it! The best advice that I can ever give you is Practice, Practice, Practice! I'd love to hear more about your bow! Sounds very exciting!

Sister #6700
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2017 :  12:01:29 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Melody - I had to laugh when I read the title of your post. When we first moved to PA, nothing prepared me for all the deer strewn across the trunks of cars and laying in truck beds! LOL! I had always wanted - and still do want - to learn how to hunt, but nothing prepares you for the bloody sight of fresh kill tied to the back of a Mercedes! LOL! I wish all of you hunters the greatest of success this season! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

LitlleBit
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

Roxanne
Pleasant Hill Missouri
15 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2017 :  7:27:55 PM  Show Profile
Melody,
Yes I do mean recurve or longbow when I say traditional. I've glanced through Missouri Hunting guide briefly in the fall when I first seriously looking into buying a bow with a vague idea of possibly hunting in 2-3 years with the bow, but I didn't see anywhere stating a minimum poundage to hunt deer. I will take the hunting course before I deer hunt.

For my price range the Vista/Sammick Sage from Bass Pro is probably the best recurve bow I can get. The guy who ran the local archery shop retired and closed up had been the most helpful. He hasn't tried to dissuade me or offer a custom order and/or just think I'm silly for wanting a traditional bow. One sales guy gave me a child's "longbow like" compound and then guesstimated what I could pull base off of how easy I could draw this child's bow. He didn't even confirm his guesstimate by rigging an adult bow to that setting. I didn't see much use in his guesstimate.
Go to Top of Page
  Outpost: Previous Topic Hunting Season is here! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page