True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2016 :  06:34:03 AM  Show Profile
Maybe they are Italian squirrels!

My basil was good this year, but when I went to gather the last bits, the leaves all had some brown spots alllll over them, so I didn't get to dry any this year. I just love chocolate mint! I need to get some for next year. I put my regular spearmint in a planter so it wouldn't over-run the whole garden. Sounds like lemon grass is something I should try, too.

On the way into work this morning we were talking about what to do with our garden next year -- I think we will have fewer vegetables and more flowers. We end up having to give away (or worse -- throw away) so much of the tomato and squash crops with just the two of us. We put some flowers in this year and really have enjoyed them. I just kind of threw about 5 packets of zinnia seeds on the ground and had a big cutting bed.

Farmgirl #6318
"Where there's a will -- there's probably a family fight."
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2016 :  06:48:19 AM  Show Profile
Marilyn, maybe they are Italian but whether they are or just plain old Texas squirrels they struck again and I re-planted two gloves this morning in misting rain.

I love your idea of more flowers especially the cutting varieties. Zinnias are a favorite but I don't have enough sunny spaces to do a bed. Next year I may do a pot of the miniature size.

Some flowers are editable and years ago I grew violets for candy and salads. A few pots of editable flowers may be something I do next year too. That's what I like about gardening there's always next year.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2016 :  07:51:39 AM  Show Profile
I always do LOTS of nasturtiums and we put them in salads, as garnish, etc. My next door neighbor canNOT get them to grow and I always have bunches. My grandmother taught me to scrape the seeds with an emery board before planting them and I always have -- not sure if that's the difference, but I always gets nasturtiums.

We have so many violets growing wild here -- I love them!

Sorry about your marauding squirrels! We do a lot of bird feeding in the winter, and we sometimes have to deal quite harshly with the squirrel population. They are such smart little critters! We don't care if they eat seed off the ground under the feeders, but if we catch them ON the feeders, they are toast! Doesn't take too many casualties before they get the picture. Our woods are full of oak trees, so they have lots and lots of food.

We have lots of deer on the property, too, but never have seen them in the garden. I think it's because the garden is absolutely right next to the house, so it's just too close for comfort for them. We put the garden on the front of the house. The tomatoes are planted right along the brick wall, so they stay warm way into the fall. This year's garden pest was the chipmunks! They ate every single one of my sunflower seeds. Next year, I think I will plant them in trays and put them outside AFTER they are a few inches tall and the seed has disappeared. We love to watch the chipmunks' antics, though -- so it's just part of the price we pay for living in the woods.

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13564 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13564 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2016 :  12:57:58 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
They might be Italian! Or whatever. They had also gotten into the pears stored up and off the ground behind the house . . now they're into the apples. We have WAAAAAYYYYYY TOOOOOOO many squirrels and they are a nuisance. They get into my hubby's shop and chew up stuff out there. Every now and then I hear him yell at them. He has set a live trap in there and caught at least three.
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13564 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13564 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2016 :  12:59:43 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
We have one more week before our irrigation water is shut off for the winter, so I'm trying to get all of our trees, flowerbeds and lawn watered. I'm going to go dig what potatoes I have here in a few minutes. I don't expect much. I only got three very small potatoes off the first, biggest plant. It was just an experiment anyway!
We had some of our parsnips, leeks and carrots with an elk roast for supper last night . . very tasty!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2016 :  7:14:46 PM  Show Profile
well fiddles,, it cooled down and we even got some light rain,,, I was all ready to pull out the last of my garden plants (taters, maters and cucs)... when go figure,, we went back into the 80's... so,, I will put off clean up until a week or two.. lol! just as well.. I spent the last 2 days clearing and cleaning out the garage... lol!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2016 :  06:02:08 AM  Show Profile
Grace -- It has been a nutty fall here, too! So hot and humid wayyyy too late! We seem to be done now, though. I had to come into work this morning, as Dude is out doing highway clean-up with our Rotary Club, but I think after work I am going to go out and get our mums. Mums are THE biggest thing here in the fall. When I lived in Western Washington, it was primroses in the spring -- every grocery store had racks and racks of them outside. Around here it is mums at the beginning of fall. We keep trying to plant them, but tend to forget about them and leave them sitting out on the steps until the first hard freeze and then it's too late. Sigh.

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2016 :  06:22:33 AM  Show Profile
Marilyn I have never had much luck with mums coming back the next year so if I buy mums it's just for one fall showing. This year I skipped a pretty potted mum for a pretty bumpy pumpkin that doesn't need watering.

Grace, I know what you mean about getting ready to shut down for the year and then it heats back up. Sometime this month I will bring some of the deck plants into the wee green house. Don't want to do it when it's still too hot but want them in there before first frost.

CeeJay I have never dealt with irrigation but it must be rough to know you will lose your water on a certain day. Even during a drought we didn't have water restrictions because of deep wells and lakes. Seems like it always started to rain before the lakes got too low. Most people in this area of Texas choose not to water their lawns so that helps with the water supply.

Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2016 :  06:39:49 AM  Show Profile
Every year, there's a greenhouse or florist around who just SWEARS that their mums will come back year after year. I haven't had any luck, either -- not on either coast!

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2016 :  08:10:24 AM  Show Profile
I finally got the two lantanas in the ground this morning. Also moved a Tuscan rosemary that wasn't doing good where it was at. Been in the ground for over a year and hasn't grown. If it doesn't like it's new home this time next year I will have to pot it and move to deck. I have two potted rosemary on the deck so it should be right at home. The potted rosemary plants are garden variety and container.

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13564 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13564 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2016 :  12:16:02 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Well, except for my carrots and leeks I think my garden is a done deal! Picking the last, which aren't many, of the green tomatoes. There might be a bit of kale, small leaves, that I can pick. Other than that, it's leeks and carrots!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13564 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13564 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2016 :  12:16:42 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Marilyn,
I've NEVER had a mum oome back the next year either! I'd probably fall over if one did!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2016 :  2:54:16 PM  Show Profile
LOL! Marilyn! Italian Squirrels! Ours DEFINITELY are Italian! A couple of weeks ago, I caught one sitting on the corner of my garage roof, munching away at a huge ripe tomato. He sure didn't understand my yelling at him in English! He just kept going to town, staring me out of the corner of his eye until he was done. Then he hissed, wiggled his tail and took off laughing at me. Oh, if only our dog Pawlee were still alive... She would FLY through the air to catch them if she had to! Those furry-tailed fiends ate almost every single tomato on our vines this year! I guess this is just payback now! LOL!

I can't bring myself to pull up the garden yet. I mean, some parts have been pulled up and composted; but we still have pumpkins, peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, kale, carrots, herbs and other good things coming up! This coming week we will be getting pretty close to frost temperatures at night, though. I suppose I'm going to have to break down and bring in the rest of the herbs, pumpkins and peppers, at least. The other things will actually benefit from a frost, so I'm not in a rush to harvest them.

Last year, when we were closing up the garden for winter, I laid a couple of plants that went to seed on top of the soil, then covered them with a little more soil and leaves. I also left the kale in place, and it continued to grow all winter long! In the spring, new plants came up from the ones I laid down. It was really cool. So this year I'm planning to do more of the same to see what happens. I would LOVE it if everything just magically appears on their own next year!

Marilyn & CJ, I've never had mums come back, either... but I always plant any Easter flowers I receive in the garden, and they always come back every spring. I was really amazed to see the Easter lilies come back in late summer/early fall! How neat is that?!

CJ - is it very difficult to grow leeks? I love them, but other than adding sand to the soil, I am clueless about growing them! Please do tell! I would love to start growing them AND asparagus... and rhubarb, too!

Happy fall, y'all!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Oct 09 2016 2:55:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13564 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13564 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2016 :  08:24:33 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Nini, we never pull up all the garden and we don't pull up the black plastic or frames until almost ready to get it ready for planting. The main reason is we don't want it growing tons of weeds in the interim and the gophers getting carried away.

This is the first time I've grown leeks . . . I didn't know you were supposed to add sand, but they did well. Our soil is a bit sandy anyway because there used to be a pond where our garden is now. Plan to do them again next year . . . and they have not succumbed to our first freeze or frosts . . . yet.
CJ

Go to Top of Page

Dirtduchess
True Blue Farmgirl

692 Posts

Patsy
Decatur TX
USA
692 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2016 :  11:14:13 AM  Show Profile
My herbs and flowers love this cool weather in this part of Texas. So pretty.

Patsy
Farmgirl 4678

Leave room in your garden for the fairies to dance.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2016 :  11:22:49 AM  Show Profile
Patsy so happy your herbs and flowers are having a second life. I have harvested all my herbs except for rosemary which is an all year plant here. My miniature hollyhock 'rose mallow' has a few blooms left but most have dried and dropped to the ground to come back next year.

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2016 :  5:16:47 PM  Show Profile
CJ - we started using the various vegetable plants themselves as mulch when we pulled them up last year, figuring they would compost in place and add the nutrients right back into the soil from whence they came! It really is working! We need to add more mulch, though... Sadly, almost all of our beautiful wood chips have composted, and I didn't call to be put on the list for more, so I think we're going to be covering the garden with straw again this year! And I think the sand is added for drainage and soas not to strangle the leeks as they try to grow. It's been a while since I looked into it, but I honestly thought for some reason leeks were hard to grow! That is awesome that they worked out so well for you! :)

We just harvested our HUGE Musquee de Provence pumpkins because we had a frost... SO happy! I just have to share a pic, because I can hardly believe how big they got myself! In person, they're a lot bigger than they seem in the picture!

The biggest one is almost 18 inches across and weighs 48.9 lbs! Everyone asks me two things:

1) Will they ripen? YES! It may take a little while, but they'll be ripe and sweet in due time!

2) What am I going to do with all that pumpkin? Ummmm.... EAT IT! In pies, muffins, breads, pumpkin rolls, soups, maybe some ice cream... I don't know, but I plan to get creative!

I am just thrilled! Those three pumpkins alone weigh over 100 lbs.... That's alotta pumpkin for canning and dehydrating! Pies for everyone! Woo hoo! :)

We pretty much have pulled up everything except the cold crops, now. All that's left is cauliflower, broccoli, kale and cabbage. The really weird thing is, we must've missed some fingerlings, because there are new plants cropping up already... What do you think? Will they continue to grow for a while?

We planted a grape vine this year... Does anyone know if there is anything special I need to do to it for the winter? Should I cover it? Cut it back? I've never grown grapes before. My mother-in-law had beautiful grapevines, and never did a thing to them. The nursery we bought it from said (when we bought it) that we really don't need to do anything, that the best thing to do is to allow it to fend for itself and thus grow strong. Our next door neighbor also had grapevines for years, but he said he treated them with some sort of anti-fungal or something... I am not sure what to do? It's such a small plant... I don't want it to die from the cold! If anyone has any advice, I sure would appreciate some direction!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2862 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2862 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2016 :  08:52:20 AM  Show Profile
WOW Nini! Those are HUMONGOUS!
My garden was a bust this year, and I got so infested with squash bugs and couldn't keep up. My work gets so busy in the summer and I just don't do the maintenance necessary. I kid my husband whenever I bring anything in, I say, "Look what I picked in the weeds!" As opposed to "Look what I picked from the garden"
Are those pumpkins bug resistant? I love the way those look, with the deep ribbing. You did good girl!
As far as mums coming back, you have to be sure they are the right variety. The ones you pick up at the local grocery etc probably won't.
I got several this year from a gal who has opened up a garden spot in our small town and she assured me they are the right varieties. She told me that one lady bought 30 from her last year and they all came back, and I saw the pictures. They were giant and gorgeous. So, we shall see.
But those pumpkins, Boy Howdy!

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2016 :  09:19:34 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Lisa! Honest to Pete - we did NOTHING to help our garden this year... We didn't even add compost because we were in such a rush to get it in. Life got busy real quick this year. I almost decided to forego the whole thing, but my hubby convinced me to do it. I do not do maintenance, either. I can't stand the bugs and the heat. It goes in, and whatever happens, happens. (To combat weeds, I plant a lot of herbs and flowers in between.) Maybe I'll pull an occasional weed, and I do go after the squashbugs (but quelled them early with diatomaceous earth and kept that up all summer), but I don't even water (we get a lot of rain out here - but to be honest, this year, it was much drier than usual)! I kid you not! I cannot take any credit for them - all I did was stick a few seeds into the ground! As you can see, those candle holders are vintage quart ball jars... the pumpkins really ARE humongous! LOL! I think the reason the pumpkins got so big is that their roots must've somehow reached the compost pile. We had very little growth all summer. I didn't even think we would get pumpkins! Then suddenly we saw a burgeoning of vine and leaf growth at the beginning of September... All of that growth came happened in about a month or so! I was so shocked myself! Yes, these pumpkins are resistant to bugs and powdery mildew. Even when the other pumpkins planted nearby got attacked, these remained as green and as healthy as ever! I would be thrilled to send you seeds either when these are harvested or dried or next year when I pull out the others already saved. Would you like some? I think you will love them! They really are gorgeous... They don't turn a deep orange, though - it's more of a tan color. But who cares? They are simply amazing! Another really great squash I tried this year was candy roaster... It is also bug and mildew resistant. They grew crazy well! We had so many squash! They grew in the open as well as in hidden places...We even found a big one growing on our neighbor's roof! But my husband wouldn't listen, and he kept picking them small (about the size of overgrown zucchini). If he had let them grow, they would've gotten huge like these Musquee de Provence! I can send you some of those, too! :) If anyone else wants some, too, let me know! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

lovinRchickens
True Blue Farmgirl

3435 Posts

Kelly
Pipe Creek Texas
USA
3435 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2016 :  10:05:08 AM  Show Profile
Nini
I love the pumpkins. What a nice ending to a rough start it sounds.

Farmgirl #5111
Farmgirl of the month October 2014
Blessings
~Kelly~
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13564 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13564 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2016 :  1:31:22 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Nini,
The pumpkins look great. I haven't planted them in a few years . . . or any squash either because of a losing battle with squash bugs. However, the only reason I planted pumpkins was to have the for decorating. I always used my winter squash for eating, baking etc.
CJ

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13564 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13564 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2016 :  1:33:31 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Well, our irrigation is officially turned off in this area for the season. Sooooooo, it's time to put things away. I got all our trees, flower beds, herb garden and lawn watered good. Also the carrots and leeks which are the only things remaining in the garden. I'll keep an eye on the weather and harvest the leeks if it looks like a freeze. And, an eye on the gopher activity and if it looks like they're interested in my carrots I'll dig them. Darn the gophers!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2016 :  6:58:54 PM  Show Profile
Well,,, what I hadn't gotten too... the dear did! lol!
Oh well,,, just in time,,, rain came and is hanging around a few more days..lol!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2016 :  06:21:12 AM  Show Profile
Deborah, I use lemon grass in any recipe where I want a faint lemon taste. It can be cut into pieces big enough that can be easily fished out. Have used it in pickles, vinegars, and dried for tea. If you make your own potpourri dry it and add to mixture.

Last night I said goodbye to three plants and gave them to a neighbor. Annie has claimed all windows in the house as her own to look out so I no longer have places for plants. It took me a while to make my mind up but when I did it was sad but also a relief. Trotting plants in for the winter and out for the spring was getting to be a little bit of a chore for me. Next spring I will try to find plants that will winter over outside.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2016 :  3:43:17 PM  Show Profile
I repotted two plants that I have decided to winter over on the deck. The small container rosemary and container butterfly bush. I grouped them next to the big container rosemary along with the Greek oregano, chives and English thyme. There are two container of English thyme along front sidewalk to front porch. I hope they survive the winter and come back next year.

After Nov 1 I will move the other plants on the deck into the little greenhouse. Ponytail cactus that hangs down about 2" - would hate to lose it. A large container of mix hens n/ chicks. Another one I would hate to lose.

My deck is starting to look bare but in a way I like it - at this time of year I am ready to put everything to bed and enjoy the peace of a garden at rest. Nature has a way of balancing things out - a time of activity and a time rest.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Garden Gate: Previous Topic Fall Garden Chores Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page