Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills
 Nomads and Travelers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills: Previous Topic Nomads and Travelers Next Topic  

chumama
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Amanda
Richmond VA
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2016 :  07:01:30 AM  Show Profile
Hello and Love to all my fellow Farmgirls!
We've been transitioning for a while now for a big move to live on the road full-time for a spell... I'm wondering if anyone out there is or has tried this? One thing it seems we cannot do on the road is homestead or farm, and I suppose my hope is that we'll learn enough and visit other's places and that those experiences will not only make up for it but that we'll have no problem scoring good organic food along our travels... Any thoughts on these things?

Also wonder if we have any farmgirl sisters south of the u.s.a.?

=)

Live and Help Live

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2016 :  07:11:09 AM  Show Profile
Wow, living on the road sounds like a fun adventure! Are you traveling with a trailer, RV or camping along the way? I hope you keep us posted of your trip. By way of buying organic along the way, I am pretty sure you should be able to find farmers market, Whole food type markets or search "Organic Food Stores Locator" on the internet for information along the way. Good luck and happy trails!

Jana
http://www.emhardt.com

Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes. ~Author Unknown
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt! ~Charles Schulz
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2016 :  2:33:06 PM  Show Profile
Most organic farmers are almost always in need of someone to do extra work--as you travel, you might check out local farms and ask if they need help. Maybe they can "pay" you in free produce! Plus you would gain lots of knowledge and make new friends. It sounds neat what you plan to do. Please keep us posted,
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog on Tumblr: eclecticstarlightcollectorbluff
Go to Top of Page

chumama
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Amanda
Richmond VA
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2016 :  11:46:15 AM  Show Profile
Great tips gals! And I was thinking the same thing about the farms! I'm familiar with WWOOF as well... We have a school bus that we were converting into a motor home but I'm selling it and we're going to start over with something we like a little better. I will keep ya posted for sure!

<3

Live and Help Live
Go to Top of Page

NikisMom
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Julie
Framingham MA
140 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2016 :  1:45:10 PM  Show Profile
Amanda, there is a program called "woof"ers people list that they need help on their farms, organic usually. You work for room, food and gain experience. A friend of mine did this and traveled from Vermont to California working.
Go to Top of Page

Ladybek9756
True Blue Farmgirl

882 Posts

Rebecca
Linneus Maine
USA
882 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2016 :  06:31:42 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Ladybek9756's MSN Messenger address  Send Ladybek9756 a Yahoo! Message
Julie,
What type of room was provided for your friend at the various farms. We are thinking about becoming an host and would like more information on the program. I have visited the website, but it is a little vague on this information.
Thanks
Becky

May the stars carry your sadness away. May the flowers fill your heart with beauty, and may hope forever wipe away your tears.
Go to Top of Page
  Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills: Previous Topic Nomads and Travelers Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page