MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2016 :  3:48:53 PM  Show Profile
To help celebrate our Apple Pie Sunday coming up September 25, I picked up five extra copies of a most darling children's book for a giveaway.

Apples to Oregon: Being the (Slightly) True Narrative of How a Brave Pioneer Father Brought Apples, Peaches, Pears, Plums, Grapes, and Cherries (and Children) Across the Plains (Golden Kite Awards)

In this thread, do share what kind of apple sweetness you'll be making for our farmgirl celebration. I'll put your name in my apple stocking hat that Winnie made for me and one of my grandgirls will pick five recipients on Apple Pie Sunday.

How about the little apple cozy Winnie also made for me so I can easily take an apple to town in my purse? In this photo it holds a Duchess of Oldenburg apple from our mascot tree.

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2016 :  4:01:48 PM  Show Profile
Love the hat and cozy. Winnie did good.

I posted on another thread that I will be making a Mennonite custard apple pie. The recipe doesn't call for dried apples but they do make pies with them so I will be drying apples to use. Will also add apple brandy. I can't leave a recipe be ~ always have to tinkle with it.

Bought a box of yellow cake mix today to make a dried apple/fruit and carrot cake in mini bunt pans. Will soak in apple brand like fruitcakes. I'm not a baker at heart so any short cut to getting it done I take.

MaryJane thanks for hosting this give-away. I have going on three great great-niece & nephews triplets who love to be read to.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

Cissik
True Blue Farmgirl

578 Posts

Sylvia
Kent WA
USA
578 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2016 :  6:10:56 PM  Show Profile
I am gathering some sage from my garden, apples from the trees and a summer sausage, along with some fennel and shallots, all chopped and will be sauteed together for a Bakeover. Salad; spinach, apples, walnuts with apple cider vinaigrette. Dessert: caramel drenched Dutch apple pie. I have to do this. Home made caramel is the best. Oh so sweet and oh so good.... I can hardly wait for dessert!

Sylvia
Kent, WA
Farm Girl #5389
http://vintagehousegoods.blogspot.com
http://etsy.com/shop/Vintagehousegoods
Go to Top of Page

Dreamer42
True Blue Farmgirl

2680 Posts

April
Central Oregon
USA
2680 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2016 :  7:17:15 PM  Show Profile
Apple turn overs topped with cinnamon and course sugar this week, great for a quick on the go breakfast with a cup of tea! My secret: I can't stop at just one - I can put several of those puppies away in one sitting easy!! LOL!!! Please don't tell anyone!

Dreamer42
Farmgirl Sister #7038
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2016 :  03:41:00 AM  Show Profile
i made my first batch of apple fritters last weekend, and the apples are about ready to start picking for apple cider. Of course there is the danish apple pie that needs to be made. enjoy the season!

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4714 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4714 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2016 :  04:43:05 AM  Show Profile
Apple galette, October pie (farmgirl recipe that has apples & cranberries in it!) apple turnovers and apple slices! Apples are the biggest reason why I"m a autumn fan! Well, that and hopefully cooler temperatures.

Let's see a picture of those apple fritters Windy Pines! I bet they were picture perfect!

Dawn in IL

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses." Abraham Lincoln

Edited by - ddmashayekhi on Sep 08 2016 04:44:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2016 :  07:14:58 AM  Show Profile
Mouth watering! Bakeovers, turnovers, fritters, galettes, bunt cake and custard pies. What a resourceful bunch we are. Ashley, my DIL, said she was going to try wrapping a wedge of sugared apple in a strip of crust, along with some mini cast iron apple pies made in one of those oversized Lodge muffin tins. And my daughter said she wanted to make a good old fashioned apple pie. The wheels are turning.

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2016 :  07:34:33 AM  Show Profile
MaryJane I thought you were going to say your DIL was going to wrap sugared apple slices in bacon. Now I could go for some of that with an order of pancakes.

Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2016 :  08:04:39 AM  Show Profile
Mary Jane,
What a cute book, reminds me of when I was little riding around on the farm wagon.
Winnie, what a cute hat and apple cosy.
Nancy Jo

https://myrockingchairandme.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2016 :  08:15:23 AM  Show Profile
Sara, you know the saying. Out of salad? Eat bacon. Seriously, I'm going to suggest it to Ashley. Something maple syrupy.

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2016 :  10:28:04 AM  Show Profile
Love love love that hat! How adorable! Never thought of an apple cozy... hmmmmmm gonna have to give that some thought!!!

Dutch apple pie with crumble topping is our family's favorite!!! However, I think I may try some new things this year as well.... maybe some Apple cinnamon pancakes, topped with apple pie jam for breakfast and some apple slaw to go with a pork tenderloin for dinner, complete with an apple brandy sauce. Hmmmm need to put my thinking cap on some more :)

Thank you for the opportunity MaryJane :)

~ Shannon, Sister # 5349
Farmgirl of the Month - January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2016 :  12:54:23 PM  Show Profile
Dutch apple pie. Yum!!!! Look what Ashley is about to put in the oven--apple and pastry slices rolled together in the shape of a rose, seasoned with sugar and cinnamon.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2016 :  1:36:20 PM  Show Profile
Now that's picture perfect.

Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2991 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2991 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2016 :  1:39:30 PM  Show Profile
Those look amazing! I'd love to see a picture of how they look after they're baked! Makes my mouth water just looking at them.

I haven't decided what I want to make yet. Good thing I have a little bit to decide. I was leaning towards and apple crumb pie, but there's so many good idea here I might be persuaded to make something different LOL!

If I'm a lucky winner I'm going to let my mother in law borrow the book. She's a preschool teacher for the county MRDD preschool. I bet she'd love to read it to her classes.

Now I'm going to go get a glass of cider before evening milking. Maybe that will help with the drooling over the apple rosettes LOL!!!

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month
http://nndairy.blogspot.com/

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2016 :  3:15:26 PM  Show Profile
I'm about to eat my second apple rosette. Here is what they look like after baking. So very pretty and yummy tasting.

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2016 :  4:50:18 PM  Show Profile
OH YUM, Ashley made some awesome looking apple pastry rosettes!!! I have never seen anything like them and they look divine to me!! As a matter of fact, all of the apple recipe suggestions posted here sound delicious. When it comes to cooking, Farmgirls here have the upper hand on the subject, in my opinion. And apples wrapped in bacon with a side of pancakes sounds like a Breakfast for Champions! Over at our HenHouse, Linda (quiltee ) got a bottle of Apple syrup in her swap goodies. I am wondering if it is apple cider boiled down to the thick syrup stage? Sounds awesome to me!

The apple cozy is a easy pattern I found on the internet a few years ago. They are crocheted and fun to make. Plus, they do help keep apples in purses or lunch bags from bruising as easily. The hat pattern I just made up and it knits up on large circular needles and easy peasy to do.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2016 :  05:42:07 AM  Show Profile
What a cute and sweet give-away. Please add me. I will be baking 2 simple apple pies. I'm finishing up hay at the end of the month and don't know that I will have much time in the kitchen. I plan to visit with my neighbor and fetch my apples. I will be making 2 pies, one for him and his family and one for me and mine.

I really enjoy reading of all the apple dishes from ya'll. And, Mz Ashleys rosettes are awesome .... I can smell them from here!

Hugs and prayers, Daizy #1093
Poor House Farmgirl Chapter {A virtual chapter open to everyone.}
A good day is when you find ALL your ear tags! I wonder how my cows would like my Farmgirl apron??
www.poorhouseparadise.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Cissik
True Blue Farmgirl

578 Posts

Sylvia
Kent WA
USA
578 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2016 :  08:40:59 AM  Show Profile
Mary Jane, can you shoot Ashley over here today? We're having a chapter meeting tonight and we would love to chow down on a couple of those rosettes.....just a couple...we usually eat well and I was considering some mini carrot cakes but those apple rosettes look so darn good :)

Sylvia
Kent, WA
Farm Girl #5389
http://vintagehousegoods.blogspot.com
http://etsy.com/shop/Vintagehousegoods
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6680 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6680 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2016 :  10:59:31 AM  Show Profile
This is going to be such a fun month! Apples are my favorite and I'm excited to learn new apple recipes from everyone. I would have to say that I will be making my first basic apple pie this month! In addition, I would also like to make some apple cobbler if my apple pie is a success! Love the apple holder Winnie made and those delicious looking apple pastries Ashley made!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Pearlsnjeans
True Blue Farmgirl

248 Posts

Vicki
West Haven Utah
USA
248 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2016 :  9:21:49 PM  Show Profile
Autumn and apples! I'll be making mini apple pies; some to share, one for me and some for the freezer for another day. Those apple rosettes look yummy!

Vicki
Farmgirl Sister #120
Nature never repeats herself, and the possibilities of one human soul will never be found in another - Elizabeth Cady Stanton
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2016 :  04:24:06 AM  Show Profile
those apple roses look fantastic, drizzle a little caramel sauce over them?? just checked my trees last night, apples are ripe. Time to get the apple press cleaned up and start making cider.

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2016 :  04:30:09 AM  Show Profile
my apple fritters

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2016 :  05:25:32 AM  Show Profile
Apple fritters ... on an apple plate nevertheless! Yum.

Here's a bright spot in my day yesterday. Nick said his guys in the food facility were going to be done with orders early so he asked if there was anything I'd like help with. I had them fill my pump house with apples and pears that we can dry, can, and eat. And make into pies for Apple Pie Sunday:)

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2016 :  06:55:00 AM  Show Profile
Apple and pear harvest has begun at your house. It must be satisfying to see baskets of fruit ready to be preserved for your long cold winter. I buy six apples at a time, but I always leave them in a bowl on my table for a day or two, so I can admire them before using them.

Go to Top of Page

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2016 :  08:34:14 AM  Show Profile
Mary Jane and Ashley, would you consider sharing the recipe for these apple rosettes? They look wonderful!

Jana
http://www.emhardt.com

Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes. ~Author Unknown
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt! ~Charles Schulz

Edited by - janamarieje on Sep 10 2016 08:35:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2016 :  09:31:42 AM  Show Profile
Most definitely, Jana, we'll be sharing it. It'll need to be baked a couple more times and how-to photos taken. It'll be published either on my blog (RaisingJane.org) or our Sister Issue or MJF magazine. I'm not sure what her plans are for where exactly but I will let you know when I see her next.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Reading Room: Previous Topic Apple Pie Sunday Book Giveaway Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page