Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Anyone have a freezer meal recipe!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Anyone have a freezer meal recipe! Next Topic
Page: of 4

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6693 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6693 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2017 :  11:15:49 AM  Show Profile
Let me know how the steak strips work. It might even be good to do both chicken and steak. Occasionally even shrimp might be good.

Looks like once fall is here you will have to meet back up with me and do some planning with me!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2017 :  06:35:18 AM  Show Profile
Great idea on the shrimp! It's a date on the fall planning!!! :)
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6693 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6693 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2017 :  10:48:11 AM  Show Profile
Great! Thank you! I can't wait!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2864 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2864 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2017 :  4:14:29 PM  Show Profile
This thread makes me drool! But my freezer is full of various cuts of meat, chicken etc and I have no room for meals!.. I'm not complaining by any stretch, but boy howdy! I am going to make some of these! And eat and enjoy!

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6693 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6693 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2017 :  11:43:26 AM  Show Profile
Oh please do Lisa! And please share any new ones you come across! Maybe by fall you will have some room to join Jamie and me in meal planning!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6693 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6693 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2017 :  10:43:40 AM  Show Profile
So Jamie.... have you started any meal planning yet?

Krista
Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2017 :  12:58:09 PM  Show Profile
Weeeellllll....I thought I had. Then, as it turns out, DH is really sticking with his weight loss efforts via a Keto diet. Which is low carb. So most of the things we typically would have in the freezer are probably off my list.

I'm going to switch gears and look for keto friendly recipes that I might be able to either freeze or freeze part of - i.e. meats in marinades, etc.

I will still be making/freezing a bunch of different appetizers for our annual Christmas party. And of course cookies for gifting in December. Not sure what the rest of my freezer cooking plans will look like just yet.

How about you? Based on what you tried last year are you repeating anything? Tweaking? New recipes you've got in mind?
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6693 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6693 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2017 :  11:14:50 AM  Show Profile
I have a good friend doing the Keto diet. It seems very difficult and seems like she can't eat anything really. I would struggle. I like food way to much LOL! Hope he is doing well on it.

I have seen my friend share a few keto soups that may be freezable. Would you be interested in soups?

I will definitely be doing the same recipes from last year, but I want to make sure I have a few new ones. I was thinking of doing some breakfast burritos and a cheesy potato soup that I tried 2 months ago. The recipe said it can be doubled and then frozen. I want to start doing some research.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2017 :  11:25:31 AM  Show Profile
Soups might be good, DH isn't really a fan of soups as a rule - he's more into stews or chilis - but as choices are limited for him these days I won't turn anything away! lol

Breakfast burritos are a great idea! And I absolutely adore cheesy potato soup! I'll have to "come over" and have some since it won't be made around here anytime soon!

I think I'll add batches of red and white chili to my freezer cooking plans - I'll freeze in single serving portions for my lunches. I haven't had time to research Keto friendly freezer recipes yet but I will!

For my frozen appetizers I have the following planned:

Mini Bacon Pinwheels - Tried and true! You flatten pieces of bread with crust cut off, spread with cream cheese mixed with herbs, cut into thirds and roll each one up,then wrap in bacon. YUM! They bake from frozen beautifully and there are rarely leftovers. If there are, I eat them. :)

PW Holiday Bacon Appetizers - Super simple. Parmesan Cheese (kind from a can) on top of a club cracker, wrapped in bacon. They are cooked low and slow for a while, then you can freeze and reheat before serving. Huge guy favorite!

Herb Cream Cheese Pinwheels - Softened cream cheese, mixed with herbs/spices, spread on sheets of puff pastry that is rolled up and sliced into pinwheels. I freeze them uncooked then bake from frozen. Will experiment with with brushing with egg wash prior to freezing to make them look as good as they taste.

Pepperoni Asiago Honey Mustard Pinwheels- This is a new one I'm trying this year!

Twice Baked New Potatoes - Just like it sounds! I bake, scoop, mix up the filling, refill and flash freeze. They reheat great!

Best Ever Chicken WonTons - This is a new recipe and one I was planning for New Years Day. Will discuss with DH to see if he wants me to or not. I assume he may choose to splurge at a couple of meals for the holidays.

Edited by - AuntJamelle on Sep 14 2017 11:27:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6693 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6693 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2017 :  10:30:55 AM  Show Profile
Okay! Next time I see her share a recipe I'll save it for you!

Too bad food like this doesn't mail well, otherwise I would send you some! Not sure if it can be canned but I'm so new to canning I wouldn't know what I was doing! Maybe you can freeze some in single servings for yourself. I might do that for lunches. I love white chilli! Do you have a recipe already for white chilli?

Your pinwheels sound way yummy, especially the herb cream cheese. What's your recipe for that one? Also is your twice baked new potatoes basically a baked potato then?

Krista
Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2017 :  12:28:56 PM  Show Profile
Thank you!

Freezing might be an option the cheesy potato soup - or I'll just make it for a party we are going to or something. I shouldn't be eating a LOT of it either! lol

I do have a WW recipe for White Chicken Chili that I freeze in single portions too. After thawing I top with avocado, sour cream and shredded cheese - BLISS!

The herb cream cheese mixture is just 8 oz softened cream cheese mixed with salt and black pepper to taste (maybe 1/2 tsp each?), 1 T freeze dried chives, 1 tsp dried dill, 1/2 dried parsley or fresh if you have it, just eyeball it, 1/2 tsp onion powder and 2 small minced garlic cloves or garlic powder instead to taste. I don't even measure anymore honestly, I just throw things in there until it looks "right" and stir it up!

The Twice Baked New Potatoes are inspired by this recipe by Pioneer Woman:

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/fluffy-new-potatoes/

I might add cooked, chopped bacon sometimes. But I would only garnish with green onions after reheating, they can taste funky after freezing, look odd, etc. :)
Go to Top of Page

farmgirl68
True Blue Farmgirl

369 Posts

Katie
Bangor Pennsylvania
USA
369 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2017 :  08:46:54 AM  Show Profile
I love reading through all of these. Dinners are really hard for me to prepare as I've used up all my spoons by that time (if you've never heard of the spoon theory I highly recommend googling it!!) Maybe I could make freezer meals in the mornings of my "good days" and then in the evenings I wouldn't have to suffer, just take something out of the freezer.

How do you know how to thaw it?

Katie #7422
Friends are the flowers that bloom in life's garden.
Go to Top of Page

farmgirl68
True Blue Farmgirl

369 Posts

Katie
Bangor Pennsylvania
USA
369 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2017 :  11:11:27 AM  Show Profile
So many ideas. Thank you everyone! I think this will make my life a lot easier as well. I have a friend coming over to help me get to the grocery and maybe knock out one or two meals. Again, thank you for the recipes and so many awesome tips!

Katie #7422
Friends are the flowers that bloom in life's garden.
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6693 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6693 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2017 :  11:25:17 AM  Show Profile
Jamie, my cheesy potato soup is from WW as well! They have some of the best recipes. Thank you for the recipes! I'm getting so excited to try them. I'm actually thinking of trying the herb cream cheese recipe soon before freezing!

Welcome Katie! Please keep us updated on what recipes you try. As far as thawing goes I would read the recipe. Some say they can be frozen up to cooking but majority need a full 24 hours to thaw. So if you know a particular day will be crazy you can plan ahead and get the food out to thaw in advance.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6693 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6693 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2022 :  12:11:39 PM  Show Profile
Anyone have any new freezer recipes they love? I’m getting ready to make a bunch more and would love to see what else is out there to go along with my favorites!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Carole
New York
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2022 :  10:15:57 AM  Show Profile
Wow1 What a great thread! Thank you all for your tips and recipe. I bought a freezer last fall and loving it!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http:www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Edited by - ceridwen on Jan 13 2022 10:20:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9244 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9244 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2022 :  05:13:44 AM  Show Profile
Jaime,
Would you mind sharing your White Chicken Chili recipe? I have done WW often but have never seen this.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"I am a bookaholic and I have no desire to be cured."

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6693 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6693 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2022 :  1:00:16 PM  Show Profile
Carole, there really are so many delicious recipes in this thread! I haven’t found one I didn’t like.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Carole
New York
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2022 :  07:27:43 AM  Show Profile
One recipe that freezes really well that I absolutely love is from Valery Bertinelli - Three Bean Turkey Chili from the Food network. Love to watch/listen to that channel as I knit!

the recipe: https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/valerie-bertinelli/three-bean-turkey-chili-3482841

I like that it's not very tomatoey.

Cheers,

Carole

Edited by - ceridwen on Jan 15 2022 07:30:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Carole
New York
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2022 :  07:36:02 AM  Show Profile
Oh, just thought of another recipe that I freeze ... a side addition to a meal ... flatbreads. I make a batch and freeze in a plastic bag. It thaws in no time. I enjoy a flatbread with soups etc. They are great for in a pinch pizzas etc. The recipe is from King Arthur Flour website.

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/quick-and-easy-flatbreads-recipe?utm_source=instagram&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=content&utm_term=curalate_like2buy_yfO2JlI2__0cb57d66-fbfd-4fff-acb1-8d3b1e303c8c&crl8_id=0cb57d66-fbfd-4fff-acb1-8d3b1e303c8c

Cheers!

Carole
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6693 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6693 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2022 :  3:40:01 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Carole for the 2 new recipes! I’m going to check them out and see if they will work for my family. I decided I want to make a bunch of breakfast burritos for the freezer before baby arrives. I usually make them with my mother in law. She is sick right now, so once she is feeling better we will get together and get those made. I will make my other freezer dinner meals with my moms help.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2991 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2991 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2022 :  6:37:14 PM  Show Profile
I don't know how I missed this thread in the past. I've never made freezer meals before but it seems they would come in handy! I usually just have beef in the freezer and some bags of frozen veggies. Soups are usually canned. I'll have to go back over the recipes listed and see what sounds the best to try out.

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6693 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6693 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2022 :  1:17:26 PM  Show Profile
Heather you won’t be disappointed! My favorite of all these recipes is the chicken fajitas from Jamie on the first page. I make it all the time without even freezing. I will probably make 3 of them for the freezer when I make my meals. Definitely give that one a try. We also really enjoyed MaryJanes spaghetti pie as a close second! Will be making some of those too!

Krista

Go to Top of Page

Carely
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

Carrie
Brookville IN
USA
30 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2022 :  05:59:15 AM  Show Profile
One of my favorite freezer meal-starters is homemade meatballs. These are way better than store-bought frozen meatballs. My husband is a hunter so we always have ground venison. When I first began cooking venison this was the only way I would use the ground venison (I'm much more adventurous now with it).

Three meat meatballs

1 lb ground venison
1 lb ground beef round
1 lb ground pork
1 medium onion finely diced, grated works well too
6 cloves garlic minced
3 large eggs, beaten
1 T dried Italian seasoning (more or less for your taste) (for a more versatile meatball swap the Italian seasoning for dried parsley, i.e. Swedish meatballs)
2 tsp black pepper
2 1/2 tsp sea salt
1 1/2 cups parmesan cheese
1 1/2 cups ground oats + (I put whole oats in my food processer and blitz until they look a bit like bread crumbs- store in a jar in freezer for use in other recipes that call for breadcrumbs)
2 cups milk +

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix completely, if mixture feels dry, add a little bit of milk until it's moist and will form a ball, if too wet, add a little extra ground oats until it's still moist but will hold a ball.
Using a cookie scoop, scoop out individual balls, lightly roll them in your hands trying not to pack too tightly, and place on a parchment-lined cookie sheet, making sure there is space between all balls.
Bake in oven at 350 for 12 minutes, ( they will be par-baked) remove and cool completely.
Move to a cold cookie sheet lined with parchment and place the tray flat in the freezer for 20 minutes.
Remove frozen meatballs and place in bags with 3-4 balls per person, using 1 bag per "meal." A vacuum seal system works great for this (2nd favorite kitchen tool)
Repeat as necessary until all of the mixture is balled, baked, frozen and bagged.

For meal use, empty one bag of frozen meatballs into a pot/skillet, with the sauce of your choice, cook for approx 20 minutes on medium-low. Serve over/with pasta/rice/veg of your choice,

Carrie

Farmgirl #8358
Member since March 23, 2021.

Rural Farmgirl dreaming of having a mini-farm of my own.

Edited by - Carely on Jan 20 2022 06:14:37 AM
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2864 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2864 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2022 :  08:40:32 AM  Show Profile
Those sound good Carrie! I like the idea of using oats for breadcrumbs
By the way, my husband and I have property in Brookville, around 60 acres, mostly wooded. We don't get out there nearly enough. We are about 2 hrs away, but it sure is gorgeous.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Anyone have a freezer meal recipe! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page