Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Anyone have a freezer meal recipe!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Anyone have a freezer meal recipe! Next Topic
Page: of 4

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2016 :  3:55:39 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Nini, I really like that idea! That seems so much easier than cooking things before. I'm going to look for some more like that. Jamie shared a beef and mushroom one that you put everything in a ziplock bag and then put in a crockpot. That recipe was on my list. Not only did it sound good, but I knew I could get a few meals pre made in minutes.

I set my freezer meal making day for Thursday! Wish me luck!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2016 :  05:30:30 AM  Show Profile
Good luck, Krista!!!

Just a thought from one who has been down the road of a major freezer session a few times - if you haven't already, it might be good to sketch out an outline of your tasks, how your session will flow? I'm sure you already have!

It just helps me to think about how the recipes come together and then how I can maximize time. For example, starting water to boil first and then I get started chopping all the different vegetables, etc.

Another thing I've done before is actually chop up all the veg - or at least some of them - the night before - I just put in containers labeled with masking tape in the fridge so I know what amount is what and can pull to use in recipes quickly the next day.

I've also pre-shredded cheeses the day before too. Basically, anything I can to be my own sous chef! lol

If recipes call for a mix of herbs/spices I might pre-measure them into a little glass ramekin - cover with plastic wrap and label - so when I pull the recipe together I am just dumping in the whole thing rather than pulling out all my measuring spoons and spice bottles.

Hope everything goes smoothly for you!!! Let us know how it goes!
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2016 :  10:38:39 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the tips, Jamie! I was actually thinking about making a list this morning. Most of the recipes we picked called for chicken so I was trying to figure a way to get that started first and cook the chicken for all the recipes at once. I also like the idea of cutting the vegetables the night before. I will have to do that tonight and see how it helps. I am getting excited! You have been such a big help and I really appreciate it.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2016 :  08:26:49 AM  Show Profile
You are so welcome! One thought on the chicken, I'm not sure if your recipes call for it to be shredded or not? If you have a kitchen aid mixer there is a super simple and quick way to get the cooked chicken shredded.

I usually heat up a large pot of water to almost boiling, then plop in my chicken meat. I cook until it is done per the instant read thermometer and then I put it in the bowl of my mixer.

I cover the mixer with a clean lint free dish towel and turn mixer on (with paddle attachment) - it doesn't take long for the hot chicken to shred beautifully! Works with roast beef too if you want shredded beef.

That method has saved me a LOT of time! I'm not sure if I've already posted about it on these boards or not.
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2016 :  10:07:32 AM  Show Profile
Wow that is a huge time savor. Sadly I don't have one. I have always wanted one, so looks like I really need to invest in one now. Would a hand mixer work? Just to hold me over until I get KitchenAid Mixer? All the recipes call for shredded chicken, so I will have a ton to shred.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2016 :  1:40:24 PM  Show Profile
You know, I'm not sure if a hand mixer would work or not. Maybe if you used a deep bowl and only tried to do one chicken breast at a time?

The trick with the Kitchen Aid is that it has that paddle like attachment, plus it is so strong. Also, with the hand mixer you would have to wear an oven mitt or something like that to protect your hand. Bits of hot meat fly out and that is why I always cover the mixer with a towel - those little bits hurt! And they sometimes shoot out onto the floor.

A Kitchen Aid - or similar mixer - is an investment for sure but I do use it a lot! Especially starting this time of year!
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2016 :  11:18:00 AM  Show Profile
This time around I decided to just shred the chicken by hand and will look into getting one of those mixers soon so I can use it next time, as well as for many other things.

Yesterday I was able to complete 7 freezer meals! I am really proud of myself and grateful I had my mom over to help me out. It did seem to take quite a bit of time even though we planned it all out.

This time around we made the crockpot beef and mushroom, spaghetti pie, oven chicken fajitas, ricotta cheese meatballs, and chicken alfredo stuffed shells. I doubled a couple to have extras!

As for the rest of my meals I am thinking of making freezer crockpot meals. They are so much faster to complete which is nice since standing for long periods right now is hard. Now I just need to find some! Pinterest here I come!

Krista

Edited by - MaryJanesNiece on Oct 21 2016 11:19:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2016 :  05:24:56 AM  Show Profile
Woo hoo, Krista! Awesome job! Sounds like a great variety on the meals you picked!!!
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2016 :  10:03:09 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Jamie! They all looked so good that I wanted to cook them that night! Since then I have been craving meatballs. Looks like I need to go get more stuff and make the meatball recipe before I cave and use what I froze!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2016 :  10:37:43 AM  Show Profile
Yesterday I made and froze Mushroom Soup, Corn & Cheese Chowder and Black Bean Soup, each made three containers (2 cups each) and two containers (5 cups each).

Jana
http://www.emhardt.com

Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes. ~Author Unknown
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt! ~Charles Schulz
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2016 :  11:47:04 AM  Show Profile
Oh Jana, those soups sound delicious! Were they pretty easy to make? So you ended up with a total of 16 cups of each soup?
Would you be willing to share your mushroom soup and corn and cheese chowder?

Krista
Go to Top of Page

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2016 :  12:08:48 PM  Show Profile
Mushroom Soup - http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/cream-of-wild-mushroom-soup-recipe.html
but I substituted one sweet onion for the leek, 32 oz of vegetable broth, no heavy cream, and no alcohol.

Corn & Cheese Chowder - http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/corn-cheese-chowder/
but I use vegetable broth in lieu of chicken broth

Black Bean Soup - http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/black-bean-soup/

Roasted Vegetable Minestroni - http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/roasted-vegetable-minestrone/

I also have made and love her Carrot-Thyme Soup (http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/carrot-thyme-soup-with-cream/) and Veggie chili (http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/veggie-chili/)

Ina Garten from Food Network has a wonderful Roasted Tomato Basil Soup (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/roasted-tomato-basil-soup-recipe.html) that I make and puree.

Happy fall and soup making season!

Jana

All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt! ~Charles Schulz

Edited by - janamarieje on Oct 25 2016 12:09:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2016 :  12:20:12 PM  Show Profile
I forgot to mention that I cook my soups in a 3 quart cast iron deep skillet, so yes the soups make about 10 cups.

I also have made and love Chowhound Roasted Butternut Squash Soup (http://www.chowhound.com/recipes/roasted-butternut-squash-soup-30466). It has apple, which adds a nice extra something to the soup.

Jana

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2016 :  10:55:30 AM  Show Profile
Thank you so much, Jana! Tomato basil is my favorite! I'm glad you had one. That butternut squash one sounds delicious and I will definitely be trying that one. I will see if I can get some of these made this weekend.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2016 :  11:05:24 AM  Show Profile
Krista, I hope you enjoy the soups as much as we do! Do you have any soups recipes you would like to share? I am always willing to try new recipes.

Jana

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13556 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13556 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2016 :  11:48:35 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
I, too, am one for making double (at least) and freezing some for later. We just roasted a whole turkey just because we wanted to. I took all the meat off the bones and put half in a ziplock freezer bag and put in freezer for later. The other half we are using for meals until it's gone.
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com

Edited by - ceejay48 on Oct 29 2016 11:26:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2016 :  11:44:50 AM  Show Profile
Jana, I actually don't. I haven't made soup before so this will be a first for me. My MIL has a good cheddar chowder one that I really enjoy. I was going to ask her if it's freezable and if I could have the recipe. Would you be interested in that one?

CJ, my mom does that. It makes it really nice for meals. I have done it with ham as well.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2016 :  11:37:30 AM  Show Profile
Yesterday I made 4 more freezer meals. This time I made only crockpot recipes. They were quick and easy and all sound delicious! Now I'm up to 11 freezer meals. I'm hoping to get a few more done.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2016 :  05:48:25 AM  Show Profile
Awesome job, Krista! Feels nice, doesn't it?

We had a freezer meal on Tuesday and finished the leftovers last night. Took out another freezer meal to thaw for tonight before bed. SUCH a great feeling!
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2016 :  10:52:28 AM  Show Profile
It really is! The more I get done the better I feel that my family will have good meals without added stress to me! You have been extremely helpful. Thank you so much!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2017 :  1:20:31 PM  Show Profile
Thank you so much Jamie for your amazing Oven Chicken Fajitas recipe! It was absolutely delicious! I will be making that one over and over again! I will have to triple it though so I can attempt to have leftovers! Also thank you MaryJane for the Spaghetti Pie recipe! That was Tilton's favorite. I thought the kid was going to explode from how much he ate! I tried a few of the other recipes but those 2 were the biggest hit!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2017 :  06:19:39 AM  Show Profile
You are so welcome! I love sharing recipes, etc.! Those fajitas are one of my favorites too!!! Hmmm...we might need to have those soon!
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2017 :  1:37:31 PM  Show Profile
I agree Jamie! Your chicken fajitas are on my list of things to make. I'm going to make a few of them this next time.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2017 :  11:06:56 AM  Show Profile
Jamie! Guess what's for dinner tonight! Chicken fajitas! Your such an angel sharing this recipe with me!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2017 :  06:17:37 AM  Show Profile
LOL! That is a good one! :) I'm planning on trying it with strips of steak as well since I found several packages in the freezer I need to use up! I don't do much freezer cooking in the spring/summer but I'm starting to get the itch to plan for what I'll do in the early fall!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Anyone have a freezer meal recipe! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page